Refurbing Your Brembos: For Dummies

FASTER

Feb 18, 2005
Nottingham
Did mine the other day!:D:D:D makes the car look loads better!

I found this badboy!
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=3932&C=Froogle&U=3932&T=Module
Helped no end! wear gloves as i forgot and still pulling fibre strands out my hands!:blink:

Did the backs too! dead easy job and good fun getting hi on the fumes!

Has anyone got a good colour code match fot the red? i had a bit of red kicking not perfect but better than the stone chips!

revere

Nov 10, 2009
Glasgow
Technically you dont need to take the brakes off to do this unless you want to then? I may be changing my discs soon so I might just do this all in a oner !

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Here's a few pics of GtiJoe's LCR's Brembo's after re-lacquering them:

Before

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

Picking the lacquer off with small knife and fingernails

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0803.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

Wet and Dry'ing then drying off with microfibre cloth.

I did mine today since it was sunny - They're 100x better looking now than they were, but not overly happy with the result, I don't think I went to town enough with the 1200grit! There's a difference in colour in the areas where the laquer had peeled away to where I picked it off :(

Oh well! Will perhaps make a better effort some other time!

BremboFlaking_2.jpg

BremboRefurbed_2.jpg

BremboFlaking.jpg

BremboRefurbed.jpg

chicosanchez78

white brembo letters

What about the brembo sticker. how did you overcome getting the letters spray with red. :think:

I did mine today since it was sunny - They're 100x better looking now than they were, but not overly happy with the result, I don't think I went to town enough with the 1200grit! There's a difference in colour in the areas where the laquer had peeled away to where I picked it off :(

Oh well! Will perhaps make a better effort some other time!

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
What about the brembo sticker. how did you overcome getting the letters spray with red. :think:

The lacquer that you spray on is clear, so just goes over the paint already, and although it looks really very faded, it looks deep red again after the lacquer goes on. Only exception is if the paint has come off all the way to the metal, then you would then need to touch up the gaps, and then you'd have to be careful not to paint the sticker.

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
Did mine yesterday, isnt really tricky to do but does take a lot of hard work. the main problem being that the better the job u want the more time u need to take getting off as much muck, lacquer and sanding down which u could spend all day on.

main thing i was disappointed with was the matching of the touch up paint i got. overall tho unless u look at them up close its ok. they're not gonna look perfect by doing this but for a days work and about £15 its definitely worth doing. the calipers really stand out now and make the car look miles better!

Joe_Cupra-R

Again I did a quick job on mine to see how well they would come up, definitely worth spending the time doing it properly if you can but I was pushed for time. Even with minimal effort removing the old laquer and preparing the surface the results were pretty good.

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
Cant argue with them results!

I'm a bit disappointed i wasnt able to do this when they first started to go. Only owned the car for 6 months so they were in a pretty bad state when i got them. Your definitely best doing it as soon as they start to go cos its a lot harder to get the muck off once the lacquer has gone and its embedded deep into the paint.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.