Limp mode already

Snarks

May 18, 2002
Lancashire
Visit site
So, today my 2 month old car chose to go into limp mode as I was driving along. The glow plug light was flashing away merrily so I abandoned my trip to work and headed for the nearest Seat dealer. En route, I thought I'd switch the engine off and back on to see if the fault cleared. It did, for about 30 seconds until the flashing light came back.

Of course, when the mechanic came to start the car and take it for a test drive, no problems at all.:confused:

Apparently, there were 2 faults logged with a throttle sensor or something. The service guy was a lot more specific, it's just that I can't remember exactly what he said. Nothing was replaced and I've driven nearly 30 miles since with no problems.

t-"RACY"

Snarks;1385897]So, today my 2 month old car chose to go into limp mode as I was driving along. The glow plug light was flashing away merrily so I abandoned my trip to work and headed for the nearest Seat dealer. En route, I thought I'd switch the engine off and back on to see if the fault cleared. It did, for about 30 seconds until the flashing light came back.

Apparently, there were 2 faults logged with a throttle sensor or something. The service guy was a lot more specific, it's just that I can't remember exactly what he said. Nothing was replaced and I've driven nearly 30 miles since with no problems.

Had the same problem with my FR Tdi 170 with only 800 miles on the speedo.

The first time it went into limp mode the AA were called out and suspected low oil:wtf:
The AA technician also connected his "Mickey Mouse" lap top into the diagnostics and could not find any fault codes.:think: Anyhow the problem cleared for half a day before returning in which time I had my FR recovered to the nearest Seat Dealer, who confirmed a "sporadic" shutdown of the throttle sensor. The Seat Technician also confirmed the fault was stored in the cars brain. I asked him why the AA could not find the fault codes with their diagnostic lap top, only to be told they use the "Mickey Mouse" type Lap top:lol:

Seat service advised me that there would be a 5 working day wait for a new throttle sensor, I duly booked my FR in for the following week. On driving home I nearly ended up in a wooden box when my FR went into limp home mode whilst attempting to drive across a 8 lane set of traffic lights and nearly ended up being broadsided by a 40 ton artiiculated truck.

I fortunately lived to tell the tale the next person may not.

After the aforementioned near miss and on top of all the other defects I had with my FR, I refused to drive it again, my hubby contacted Seat and the selling dealer and pointed out the issues with my FR and gave them an ultimatum, refund or replace! They chose to replace, and touch wood I have had not one issue with the replacement:)

Tracy

Snarks

May 18, 2002
Lancashire
Visit site
After keeping my car for a few days, the dealer upgraded the ECU software. It's now failed again twice so this will be my fourth trip to the dealer to get it fixed.

I was thinking of writing a letter stating that I would be rejecting the vehicle if it fails again. Given the car is less than 6 months old with 5000 miles, does anyone know what I am entitled to : full refund, brand new replacement? Honest John says that a full refund is possible within this time. I certainly want more than trade in value.

Also, there may not be any courtesy cars available. Am I not entitled to a free hire car or something from Seat?

Tracy, I might need to borrow your husband since he's our resident car rejecting expert. By the way, did you get a brand new car when you rejected it?

Snarks

May 18, 2002
Lancashire
Visit site
After further faults, got a new ECU fitted last week. Two decent runs on Thursday and Friday without any problems.

Saturday, went to North Wales and came home on the back of a lorry...

dsc00037vr9.jpg

Fortunately, I'm getting a replacement vehicle in early September.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
After further faults, got a new ECU fitted last week. Two decent runs on Thursday and Friday without any problems.

Saturday, went to North Wales and came home on the back of a lorry...

dsc00037vr9.jpg

Fortunately, I'm getting a replacement vehicle in early September.

Don't hold your breath we are still waiting for acknowledgement from SEAT to our letter 4 months ago for the door alarm fault [ many threads on THAT problem]
I believe SEAT sell the cars to the dealer and you have to take it up with the dealer - but this should not alter your purchasers rights under the terms of sale of goods act. Good luck

Snarks

May 18, 2002
Lancashire
Visit site
Don't hold your breath we are still waiting for acknowledgement from SEAT to our letter 4 months ago for the door alarm fault [ many threads on THAT problem]
I believe SEAT sell the cars to the dealer and you have to take it up with the dealer - but this should not alter your purchasers rights under the terms of sale of goods act. Good luck

I've already spoken to the dealer. He's getting me a 57 plate replacement ready for the 1st week of September. I've got the reg number, just waiting for it to be PDI'd and taxed.

Snarks

May 18, 2002
Lancashire
Visit site
Today, I picked up my replacement FR TDI. Hopefully, this one will be more reliable than the last one.

I'd advise anyone suffering from repeated faults to press for a replacement car. Intermittent faults are very difficult to track down and you'll just find yourself making endless trips to the dealers. My old car is still not fixed after 4 months.

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
Today, I picked up my replacement FR TDI. Hopefully, this one will be more reliable than the last one.

I'd advise anyone suffering from repeated faults to press for a replacement car. Intermittent faults are very difficult to track down and you'll just find yourself making endless trips to the dealers. My old car is still not fixed after 4 months.

i'm pleased youve got a new car and i hope its significantly more reliable.

is it the same car and spec or did you have to settle for something that was already in the pipeline?

also how hard did you have to push the dealer/seat before they caved in?

happy motoring.

Snarks

May 18, 2002
Lancashire
Visit site
I didn't get the car for free. I had to make a contribution to the cost since I had done nearly 7000 miles. The rest came from Seat, the dealer not making a profit on the new car and a more generous trade in allowance than I would normally have expected.

The alternative would have been legal action which would have been expensive and stressful.

I wrote a letter to the dealer principal (David Hobin at Preston) stating that I was disappointed that my new car was nowhere near as good as my old Cupra. After further failures, I called in to see him personally. He seemed genuinely concerned that he had supplied me with a faulty car and raised the issue of a replacement himself. I said that was the route I wished to take since I believed that we weren't getting anywhere trying to repair the fault. No threats of legal action, no shouting, just a friendly chat did the trick. I never raised the issue with Seat customer services as it never became necessary.

I was pleased with the service I received. Within 30 minutes of the meeting, a quote for a new car was in my inbox. When I accepted his offer, it was David Hobin who rang me to sort out the replacement rather than getting a salesman to do it. He read out a list of cars that were available and I picked one that was at the docks (wherever that is). It took 2 weeks from the meeting to getting the car. Following last Saturday's events, I also got a courtesy car for a few days until mine was ready for collection.

It's still an FR Tdi with Bluetooth but I went for metallic this time.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2007
Norn Iron
Nice to see some good service.. I got a questionare in about how I was treated last service, and was I happy.. I was totally honest and said Id not use them again since I had to wait over a month and every time I rang up no one rang back.. As a result, I booked my car in for its service with another dealer today..

yak00

you certainly have had a better service than I have, 2 weeks on still waiting for the part to arrive and car to be repaired, no courtesy car during the period (besides the one AA provided for 3 days). Absolutely bitter with the level of service recieved from dealer and Seat ! I dare not think about them not being able to fix the issue.

smartin

Hi Snarks,

Don't know if your still on this board.

Has your replacement vehicle been more reliable? I think mine might have a similar recurring problem.

I had the same flashing glowplug warning light come on about 10 days after I picked it up. Like you I pulled over and restarted the car and the warning light went off for a bit but later came back on.

Got it booked in to the local dealer (not the dealer I bought it from) and they diagnosed faulty throttle pedal sensor. Once they had the part in (about 2 weeks later) they replaced the sensor and all had been OK until last week when the light came on again.:cry:

Same dealer looked at it again and once more it seems the throttle pedal sensor is faulty. Trouble is the warning light doesn't come on all the time. They had "a fiddle about a bit" and told me that if it comes on again they will have a thorough look at it and if they can't sort it they'll contact SEAT.

Not sure where I stand with regards rejecting it. I suppose I'll have to go through the supplying dealer.

It seems I may have a bit of a lemon.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members