Oil around EGR housing

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I noticed yesterday that there is a fair bit of oily residue around my EGR housing, looks like it's come out under pressure (similar appearance to the stuff you sometimes see around boost pipe joints etc).

Is this normal ?

This should be irrelevant, but my EGR is disabled. Whether it's working or disabled, I presume there should be now way for oily gunk to come out, as this suggests an air leak to atmosphere.

I don't recall ever seeing any on the Ibiza's EGR valve, even after 80k miles.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Not around the intercooler, but around the EGR valve (ie on top of the engine).

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Well, funnily enough I had my first experience of limp mode tonight.

Got the following fault:
17964 - Charge Pressure Control: Negative Deviation
...which means it's losing boost somewhere.

Only happens under full throttle, hard acceleration somewhere above 3k rpm.

Coincidentally, it's been smoking quite badly recently under full acceleration, around the same rev range (~3400+ rpm).

Hmm :think:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Here we go:

Dsc02933.jpg

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Can the EGR assembly be dismantled, or is it all one unit built into the housing ?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Red Ibiza -> No, definitely coming out of those holes in the EGR valve.

Any idea what those holes are for ?
The EGR housing should never vent anything to/from atmosphere, so all I can think is that they are to allow air expansion as the valve control arm moves inside.

Now, work this one out:
(Remember that my EGR is completely disconnected from any vacuum and never actually operates)
I decided to see if the hissing noise from my car was coming from the holes where the oil is leaking from.
So I temporarily plugged them with blue-tack (don't laugh), and drove around to see if the hissing noise had gone.
While these holes were plugged, whenever I gave it full bore up a hill and reached mid-3000's rpm, it went into limp mode with a "Charge pressure control - negative deviation" error (in other words, not enough boost, usually a sign of a boost leak). It did this three times. It was also smokier than normal.
After removing the blue-tack it never happened again.

How on earth can you explain that - or was it just coincidental ?

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
Hi Lee, the holes are purely to allow breathing WHEN the diaphram moves, as a simple fix you could just bung them up, small bolts? 2 off, any attempt at epoxy is unlikely to stick 'cause of the oil, Oh! just read the rest of your thread, given some time I would just gut it out, Pm me if you need help, a rotary rasp a course flap wheel and a ruck of epoxy and you have a stealth race pipe complete with ASV

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Hi Lee, the holes are purely to allow breathing WHEN the diaphram moves, as a simple fix you could just bung them up, small bolts? 2 off, any attempt at epoxy is unlikely to stick 'cause of the oil, Oh! just read the rest of your thread, given some time I would just gut it out, Pm me if you need help, a rotary rasp a course flap wheel and a ruck of epoxy and you have a stealth race pipe complete with ASV

I'd been half thinking of doing something like that.

I can't possibly see how my plugging the holes with blue-tack caused it go into limp mode, surely just a coincidence do you reckon ?

Also - how temperature resistant is epoxy stuff ?

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
if the holes are plugged the air leaking past the valve stem could (big could!) lift the diapham slightly and let the boost into the exhaust port, but it would have to be good blu-tac , perhaps a couple of bolts is not such a good idea after all I'll get me coat

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Lee - Funnily enough we were looking at my EGR today and its exactly the same as yours, apparrently there is a didgy seal somewhere that is replaceable under warranty although i think were both out of luck there!

I blocked the vacuum pipe and my engine light has now come on - is yours? I wouldnt have thought the EGR would leak enough boost for a -ve deviation error though!

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
in order to change the oil seal you would need to remove the diaphram cover (pressed on) and then remove the diaphram (pressed on) then dig out the straked in seal -----reassemble in reverse order!!!! Ed is your ECU 15 or 16 I think 16 will turn on the warning lamp

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members