v5 tolly or mondeo 2.0?

MarkQuinton

Sep 22, 2004
Hi all

I'm in the process of trying to chose between a mondeo zetec (old shape) or a toledo v5 150 (one available near me for £1200). Trouble is i'm changing cars to save money on insurance, possibly petrol and looking for large boot space as we have a baby boy due in october.

My head says get the mondeo as it's cheaper on petrol and parts are cheaper.

But my heart says get the toledo, it looks twice the price, all electrics and lovely seats and everything about it is nicer and i just want one but i don't want to have to sell again when the baby arrives just cause i can't afford the petrol costs. But i will be saving about £400 buying the toledo over the mondeo.

Has anyone had a tolly v5 and a mondeo 2.0? or something similar and can they compare the mpg for me? Any opinions?

Thanks

Mark

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
totally agree........you get so many more toys in a seat compared to ford (is the modeo a top of the range?).....the 1.8 20v is a lovely engine (the V5 is nicer still.....) and the SE spec cars are well equipped.

if it is a matter of cost cutting and you really are finding the decision hard......check out exactly the cost of insuring them, the cost of fuel per month etc......many of the parts for the tolly are VW, and there are lots of places on the net where parts (genuine and pattern) are cheap enough......

PS, have you had a tolly before? your name is familiar to me????? another forum?

MarkQuinton

Sep 22, 2004
Thanks guys

yeah i've had a tolly v5 before and for some reason i don't really remember the car cost too much if any more than the 1.8 vti civic i have now. Just don't know if it's my mind trying to convince me to buy another one though lol

Insurance is hardly any different to the mondeo.

The only probs i had with my toledo was a throttle valve positioner which i'm not convinced i needed and a maf sensor. And my car had 166k.

Thanks

Mark

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I love the drive of the Tolly as well as the looks and spec and my heart would choose it any day over the Mondeo. However, and it really pains me to say this, if the financial aspect is important and you don't want some of the niggly things to go wrong I would actually chose the Mondeo. Definitely a heart versus head decision. If I was buying again I wouldn't buy the Toledo just because of the niggly problems (MAF, brake switch, fan fuse, etc). This year I also had to have a new radiator (I guess this can happen to any car) and I now have a leaky sunroof. It is a huge shame because no one loves the drive of this car more than me and I feel very at home in it but I think my next car will be a Mazda :redface:.

Mondeo too common for me but the Mazda 6 or even the 3 sport saloon would fit the bill (but I've not got the readies for that yet and nor would you in the price range you're looking at). You could get lucky and get a V5 that is not affected by any of the above. Mine was 4 years old when I bought and I thought I was doing OK until the past 18 months when it's all gone a bit iffy. I don't like the feeling that something else is likely to go wrong and I never had that with my two Japanese cars.

On the other hand, for the sort of money you can pick one up for now you are not exactly going to lose much if you decide to sell on after a short time, in which case only you can decide on the day to day running cost issue. I don't find it ridiculously expensive from that point of view. I've probably made your decision even harder!

Last edited:

MarkQuinton

Sep 22, 2004
Thanks for the reply.

To be honest i think niggly issues arise with all cars. At least the issues you mention are not problems with the engine block itsself. in my old toledo i had most of the same niggles on my toledo, leaky sunroof is a new one one me though. The toledo just seems such a great car for £1500 with fsh.

Guess i've got some thinking to do.

Thanks

Mark

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
I agree in as much as the engine itself could probably take very high mileages indeed. That's why I find the niggles disappointing - and some cars do have more than others. For £1500 though you probably don't have much to lose so long as you test drive it and all seems good.

v5er

Feb 18, 2007
Lancs.
I would get any car checked independently if there is any doubt. Also consider getting an extended warranty with any savings you make. You will probably find insurance for the Mondeo less than a v5 judging by insurance groups. All things being equal, if you save more than £400 on the mondeo's insurance, go for it. Otherwise its the Tolly, no question.

MarkQuinton

Sep 22, 2004
Well insurance for the mondeo is £290 whereas the tolly is £340, not bad at all.

Both come in the same car tax bracket too.

I think i'm going to buy it, i can always sell it later if it's not suitable.

Selling my civic vti for about £1800 so not going to lose anything and i'm paying £500 for my civic insurance.

Thanks

Mark

v5er

Feb 18, 2007
Lancs.
£340? Thats amazing! I cant believe theres such variation in quotes considering the performance difference between the 2 cars. But I am paying around the same for my v5 as I was for my 1.6 civic coupe, so I'm happy :D

It looks like youre winning every which way. Great car! Good luck!

MarkQuinton

Sep 22, 2004
To be honest i've always found that the v5 gets reasonable insurance quotes.

Try confused.com, think kwick fit insurance came out the best for me and you receive 10% off at kwick fit garages (if you really want to use them). I've been using swiftcover.com and they have been great, everything is online with them so no phone calls and you can print out your insurance documents whenever you want online in your account.

Mark

v5er

Feb 18, 2007
Lancs.
Doesn't it just?! That was a major reason for me to get the v5 instead of a Type S Civic - apart from looking much better than a Civic!
I tried all those sites but the quote from my insurer was by far the cheapest - yes even less than some of the companies from the cheesy tv ads!

Last edited:

Deleted member 5241

Hi all

I'm in the process of trying to chose between a mondeo zetec (old shape) or a toledo v5 150 (one available near me for £1200). Trouble is i'm changing cars to save money on insurance, possibly petrol and looking for large boot space as we have a baby boy due in october.

As much as it hurts to say it, and I'll probably get flamed, the Mondeo is the way to go for the very reasons you put above.

Keep it for a year or two then get a 170 V5 when the nipper is walking about more.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.