Turbo Choices - What you think?

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Next year i'll be finally upping the power, but i have no idea what turbo setup to go for. The car has pretty much all is needed, brakes, clutch/flywheel/diff, arb's, coilys etc..

I've also got a large port head that i could build up at a push.

So which one do you think?

*GTRS elim?
*2871 elim?
*k04 GTRS/2871 Eliminator with Pro-Imports up-pipe to 3" ko3 downpipe with JBS k04 manifold for ease of install (avoids inlet problems)
*Proper 28rs/2871/3071 but i have no idea where to get the downpipe made or i dont really want to pay 1k for a manifold from JBS.

Not too keen on IHI with what looks like a lot of problems with cracking etc..

I'll be doing all the work myself as well.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Revo stage 3 would be the map for sure. 170 quid for the upgrade makes it so much easier to go bigger power.

The car has also got JE standard bore size pistons and Scat rods.

Dec 31, 2005
London
Explain the k04 gtrs a bit more? wouldnt you need a k04 downpipe

If you got the strength from your engine and can reduce the lag id prob go with the 2871 elim.

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
You use a k04 manifold (JBS tubular one) with a k04 TT/S3/LCR eliminator, but you keep your standard downpipe and use this connecting pipe to convert the k04 flange to a k03. Its a connecting pipe.

Dec 31, 2005
London
how much is the jbs tubular manifold, and how much is the up pipe?
I wouldnt bother with the atp mani either after reading about the cracking etc
Surely theres more to it though, what about fitment issues etc, if it was as easy as including an up pipe wouldnt they just sell the same turbo kit with or without it?

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
tubular k04 mani is £450+vat
Up-pipe is about £150 delivered

Its all stock fitment stuff so in theory it all "should" bolt up ok. I know it works without any problems with people going k04-023 on k03 downpipes so putting an eliminator in its place shouldnt be a problem.

ATP wouldnt sell one kit and make a connecting pipe as they've effectively cut theyre eliminator range by half.

Now the question of whether the k04 manifold flows better than the k03 manifold is gonna be asked to JBS soon i think.

Dec 31, 2005
London
True, but if they stopped making the k03 based ones and more of the k04 kits if they fit on then they wouldnt be losing out, in fact making more of one thing would reduce cost for them surely if with or without one extra pipe they fit all 1.8t's.

Dec 31, 2005
London
does the jbs k03 mani need any trimming for an elim to fit? if not and they flow similar then ifs pointless.
if the k04 flows better and doesnt require trimming i reckon its worth the £150 for the up-pipe (providing it fits)

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Theyre all standard fit so should have any fitment issues. I'm leaning towards goin for the k04 version to get a better TIP so i get a full 3" instead of goin under the shifter cables it will sit much higher.

Dec 31, 2005
London
but the TT tip would fit?
will the k04 mani reduce lag on the gtrs?

Sounds like you're on your way to making your mind up and all being well the k04 elim seems more sensible

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I dont think it would fit as i'd want to run the 3" inlet. Havent made my mind up really, just lookin at options but for the money vs. power there isnt much thats coming close to an eliminator from the states.

Dec 31, 2005
London
Yeah
Im thinking about going GTRS next year but with the jbs mani, how seatcoober and you get on if you go k04 route will prob sway me one way or the other.

cupra_matt

Audi Technician
Dec 15, 2004
Carlisle
Phil, what are your power goals?

To make a DP is a bit of a task, needs a skilled engineer imo.

Iam loving my conversion, and its ready for a bolt on upgrade to GT30** when i fancy it.

Try and keep future mods in mind, if you go K0* you will be limited to eliminators etc, but go Garrett or IHI fitment and you have lots of options.

To make my GT2871R conversion possible i needed the equal length mani, couldn't of done it any other way.

Also doing it yourself is great, added satisfaction factor :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members