My first Seat, recommendation welcome :)

Apr 9, 2009
Hey guys/ girls, i've been the owner of a new Ibiza since late April now and i love it, its only the 1.2 model but that's all i really need. Unfortunately i bought this car off a dealer as an ex show car meaning it had been used but only done a couple of hundred miles. It didn't come with some of the features that i would have chosen if i had ordered it directly from Seat so i'm planning to ad them myself.

Firstly it didn't come with alloys, i have my eyes on some alloys but was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with the specific set i'm looking at, or have any better suggestions. The complete set w/o tyres will be just over £300. I don't think i'm allowed to externally link to other sites yet as i'm a new member, plus i cant post pictures yet can i? So for now i'll describe them and post pictures when i can. They're by a company called 'Dezent' they're black with V shape spokes, with a red rim around the outside. My Ibiza itself is black so my main question would this be too much?

I'm also looking to get my rear windows tinted as well, primarily to try and keep it a bit cooler in the summer. I was browsing around Halfords the other day and they have various DIY window tinting kits, which claim to be "easy" to apply and creates a "professional" look. However after doing some online research i'm finding these claims to be hard to believe. Has anyone else had their new Ibiza tinted professionally? I'm trying to get an idea of how much its going to set me back.

Thanks for your time and any help is much appreciated. I've been viewing these forums for a fair few months now and its been a great help so far!

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
Hi there.

The only thing i can probably helpp you with is the window tinting.
I have my ibiza on order from stock without window tints, but i enquired about this and i am paying £200 for my dealer to fit the tints. He offered me The factory fitted tints, a darker shade or a lighter shade..iwent for the factory one.

You can probably get this done cheaper, but i had to opt for the dealer to do it because then it is classed as a standard fitted window tint, which i dont need to declaare to my insurance. If i was to go for another company to fit it, i might be able to get it for £100, but my insurance was bumped up by £120 just for bloody window tints.

Basically it is all depending on your insurance. Just find out what it would cot to declare this.

Apr 9, 2009
Thanks Gareth i hadnt thought about going to the dealership! I think if they can get it done for me then like you i'll opt to have it done that way due to insurance. I will double check the quote though incase it doesnt make too much of a difference. My main problem is where i live, i can only seem to find one place within an hours drive that does tinting commercially. Thanks again!

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I think you will find that when the dealers do it they actually get a mobile tint company in to do them. same as replacing windscreens, tyres and sorting out small bodywork and interior trim damage.

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
plus if you get a dealer to dit less chance of bubbles and c0ck ups, well at least you can take it back if there are.

Apr 9, 2009
Gareth: I rang the local dealer today. Unfortunately they dont do it. The guy said that its treated glass that comes with the ibiza if you order it to your own spec so they cant do it... Looks like i'll be continuing my search... Not really wanting to get a DIY kit as i dont quite trust myself..

Cheers again guys for the help so far. When i can i'll get some pics up of the car in this thread and then new one's with the new alloys/ windows if and when i get them sorted! Still in two minds about the black with red trim alloys...

garethrobson

FR LOVER
Jun 10, 2009
County Durham
ahh right thats a bit rubbish. My dealer must be getting an external company to do it. I dont mind thought as long as it looks alright.

Let me know how u get on with your search :)

Apr 9, 2009
Yeah i wish my dealership would do that. I've spent the last couple of hours glued to the internet looking for places to get my car tinted and various methods to do it yourself. Having done this and found a place that has precut tints for my car i feel confident that i could do it myself. I've watched various video's on it as well as reading through many many different set of instructions. The equipment needed to do it is inexpensive as well. My only worry is finding somewhere that is protected from wind with minimal dust as i dont have a garage... I'm sure i can find somewhere to do it, call in a favour with a friend etc.

For the full kit (not including windscreen) i can get the precut set for £69.99. I could probably get it cheaper if i keep looking but i'm happy with that price as i originally thought it was going to cost me in the region of £200 to get it done. I'm not 100% set on doing it my self yet, but it's likely that thats the way i'll go. If so i should hopefully have tinted windows in 2 weeks time, taking into account delivery times etc.

Apr 9, 2009
Quick update:

I will be going for the pre cut tint. However i'm not sure when i will be able to yet as i'm still in search of a decent dust free garage to use.

I have ordered three things for my interior today which will hopefully arrive on Wednesday and will be fitted at the same time. They are the honeycomb grill for behind the front grill, the new 'Style' gearstick and the aluminum decorative dash set

Basically i'm trying to make the inside feel a bit better than it does at the moment. Will take some before/after photos to post on here incase anyone else wants to see some real photo's of them being installed.

As for the alloys i have found somewhere that is selling them for £250 now with free postage so will be saving over £70 now which pays for the pre cut tint set! Perfect :)

bowie

it will be good to see some pictures of your car when you get it done,how does the gear stick come off to change to new gear stick is it easy?

bowie

Apr 9, 2009
Yeah i'll post them up, should be allowed to by then due to post count. I'm not actually sure, i will be there when they replace it though so i can let you know how its done. They said all three jobs shouldn't take longer than half an hour so i cant imagine it being too hard to do.

LeeCAN

I'd really be interested in your experience of fitting the honeycombe grille - and of course some photos of the finished article.

Cheers
L

Apr 9, 2009
Sure thing mate, is it sad i'm really looking forward to Wednesday now lol

Not that im going to do it(well not straight away anyway), but id like to see what the honeycombe grill would look like when coloured gun metal or chrome etc. No way of seeing what it would look like apart from actually doing it and spraying it back to black if it looks horrible though lol

Apr 9, 2009
Update:

Hey guys i have had the gear stick and the dash decor installed. The gear stick took them about 15 minutes, and i did the dash myself in under 5. I took the photos of the old dash a couple of days ago when i couldn't find my camera so the quality isnt great as they were taken on my phone. But the new photos should be alright.

Old dash and HU surrounding:
IMG_0412.jpg

Sorry for the messy interior lol:
IMG_0415.jpg

New surround for the HU etc:
DSC03822.jpg

DSC03823.jpg

DSC03824.jpg

Original gear stick:
IMG_0416.jpg

Original gear stick:
IMG_0417.jpg

New gear stick close up:
DSC03825.jpg

DSC03827.jpg

DSC03828.jpg

I'm really happy with the way it turned out, the new gear stick feels but much let alone looks alot better imo. I dont know why but since the new gear stick as been added, the changing of gears feels alot better, as if the path to each gear is much more defined.

As for the honeycombe grill it didnt arrive yesterday, they told me it should be there today but i havent had a phone call yet, so it looks like it'll be done tomorrow.

Apr 9, 2009
oh and heres a quick pic of the actual car, which needed a clean at this point.. lol

IMG_0405-1.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2009
Hey guys, i've finally had the honeycombe grill installed. Took them around 20 minutes to do. Looks great, apparently i'm on of the first people to order this part, and i am the first to order/ have it installed in my area lol

Heres the pics of front Without the honeycombe grill:

DSC03829.jpg

DSC03830-1.jpg

And With the honeycombe grill:

DSC03835.jpg

DSC03834-1.jpg

DSC03836-1.jpg

There you have it, i much prefer not being able to see right between the old grill.

Here's a slightly better pic of my car as a whole:
DSC03832-1.jpg

My next step is to either get the windows tinted or get these alloys fitted:

dezent_motion_b.jpg

I've had my eyes on those for a long time lol But they will have to wait as i'm off on holiday twice in the next four weeks so i'm going to have to save money for a bit.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Quicik question about the aircon/HU surrounds, how does the fitting work, is it just a self adhesive panel you stick on or do you remove the old one and replace with the new one?

Apr 9, 2009
Its adhesive lol i thought it would be a case of removing the old surround and replacing it.. I was a bit annoyed when i found out it was adhesive as i thought it would luck cheap and tacky, however i was pleasantly surprised. The way it is molded covers all the corners and fits snugly into the surrounding. It comes with an alcohol wipe which you use to prep the areas the adhesive sticks to, then stick them on. It takes no more than 5 minutes to do. I am very happy with the way it has turned out, much prefer it to the original boring black surround.

yusuf_1977

hi my friend
i see we do have both the same cars and i feel thats enough for me.only my car's colour is red emocion .the interior looks great with your new gearbox stick and dashboard hu surrounding is nice.,

but i think there s no need for honeycombe grill because nobody sees that one .

also my car has 14'' wheels and i wonder if you have the same size or what size will you choose for your new wheels?

and the last thing i want to say you can do it easily yourself with back window tilting i made it myself the first time .yes the quality not seems so good but i will try to do it again.think about it.
yusuf0188.jpg

regards

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise