Aircon/Headlamps/Cig Lights Not working!

xnox202

1M ST-TLD
Apr 15, 2008
Brunei Darussalam
Okay might aswell post this one on the Leon section instead of the Toledo section cause it seems deserted out there. :)

So suddenly yesterday, I have an "out-of-the-blue" problem. What I meant by that is I didn't fiddled with anything for the last few weeks before this problem happened.

On one afternoon, I was about to start the car. Alrighty, I inserted the key ignition, 1...2...

-I first noticed: the 12V Ciggy Light doesn't comes up (I have my MP3 Modulator inserted, so I know if it's working or not too)*

Hmm, then I just went on starting the engine. My MP3 Modulator still not powered up, now that's a little weird. I thought it would be just the fuse of my MP3 Modulator, checked it and it was all fine. Alrighty, I checked the fusebox.. and actually checked the whole fuse! (Engine off though).

Then I thought, "Ah, I can live without my MP3 Modulator" .. My radio's still working though!

So I restarted the engine again.. I fired up the A/C.. to #4, (#4 setting?) then there's no air coming out from my vents? I can hear the compressor running, but to the hell of it I just checked the 30A fuse on top of the battery. It was still intact and not burnt or anything.

Re-fitted it, and the blower is still not there. I have to mention the #4 setting goes back to #0 and restarts again, in a loop if I leave it.. without any of the air coming out from the vent.

I'm getting frustrated. Certainly something wrong with the electrical components of the car (And my date's like 1 hour away!) .. Then something came into my head to ask me switching on the Dipped/Fog Beams. Guess what? .... NOTHING. just the parking lights are turned on.

I spent a good time observing around the engine bay to look for anything weird or burnt marks anywhere, or anything unusual.. but I only noticed the 110A on top of the battery has a burnt mark. The wire's pretty hot too.

---

Before the above problem happened, I knew I felt something weird when I drove down my local highway cruising at 160km/h.. I suddenly saw my dash lights flicked and the car juddered slightly but it was noticable, but nothing bad happened. My A/C, Lights, etc was working fine.

Just that yesterday, and today (I tried again) the problem is still there. I cleaned the 110A contact on the top of the battery fuse box and still no shed of light at all.

Now I don't even dare to drive the car. Front lamps aren't working at all (Even rear brake fogs doesn't work, but the license light and etc does work fine though). I might even scare that the gearbox might crap out while I'm driving knowing I have an electrical problem.

Car is: 1M 01' Seat Toledo 1.8 20V (Non Turbo) AGN Engine, Automatic Gearbox.

Few things worth mentioning:
- Been using years, Dipped/Fog HID Beams without any problem.
- Full LED Interiors
- MP3 Modulator in the 12V Cig Light Socket been used for years without any problem.
- I should say I've installed an Earth Grounding kit, used the seatcupra.net guide in installing it.

Could it be any of the above could affected the electrical system? Hope my post made sense. I really need this car to be ready for my Hari Raya festive season here in the country, and that's like 22th/23th of next month.

I'm thinking my Alternator/Battery is about to go, thoughts?

xnox202

1M ST-TLD
Apr 15, 2008
Brunei Darussalam
Alright I had to pull this back up. Decisions.. decisions..

Before I jump to buy a $180 worth Alternator, would you guys endorse it will be the alternator?

Though it's hard for me to actually diagnose the car properly. I don't have VAGCom in my disposal but I did opened the Fuse Panel to see if there's any burnt mark or anything. It's just weird.

Even hooking up the 110A wire to the B+ directly seem doesn't fix the problem.

I did tried the following for today:

- Unhooking the Earth Grounding Kit, still same result
- Double/triple/using Meter checked all of the fuses down the A-pillar.
- Cleaned off the Batt terminals.

Is there a fuse harness relay in this car? I want to check that one. I thought I could find those big fuse blocks behind the fuse panel, but there was none.

Like there's something telling me that it's not the alternator. I know if a fudged Alternator, the batt light would light up on the dash.

What are the symptoms of bad Alternator? Is there something like mine? Cycling on/off aircon, non-working headlights/fog/brake fogs and Ciggy Sockets?

:cry:

xnox202

1M ST-TLD
Apr 15, 2008
Brunei Darussalam
After about 2 years owning this car, I'm torn to actually keep the car for another few years time if problems like this could not be solved easily. I mean, yeah.. so much for trying to change the Maintenance Mentality of "Japanese cars are much better than European cars" .. And someone just offered me a LCR in the country and despite how awesome it is to have one.. I don't think I want it now if there was bound to have problems like this.

xnox202

1M ST-TLD
Apr 15, 2008
Brunei Darussalam
Where are the measuring points? Negative side out from the alternator, and... ?

I should be expecting 13.5-14.5v with engine turned off? Should I idle it?

xnox202

1M ST-TLD
Apr 15, 2008
Brunei Darussalam
12.4 off
14.0 idle
13.8 when a/c is on (blower not working though)
13.9 (a/c off, headlights so-called on .. side lights on, main/fog beams couldnt be lit)

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
On the end of the ignition barrel is a box, these use to fail on older cars (vauxhalls) I'm wondering if it is that that is faulty?
As that tells the relevant circuits "what to do".