t0m's LCR AmD Stage 2 - Turini's, Wavetrac LSD, Recaro's..

Fry over black or high power silver wheel refurb?

• Fry over black wheel colour

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • High power silver wheel colour

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
I never intended on doing a readers' ride, it all seemed far too much hard work! But since I've put a few threads up on here of some substantial mods to my car, a moderator collated some of my progress and thus my readers ride is born..

Bare with me as this post I had to edit, and it merges with 'coilover fitting' post in one big mess :rolleyes:

So here goes..

I bought my LCR back in January this year. I was getting by with a Y reg 206 1.4 but I did have an LCR about a year before that so returning to another LCR was an easy lure!

Pic of when I viewed it (yes it was snowing on the day of the test drive, not ideal!)

360car047.jpg

And that was that, they offered me a good part ex on the 206 and the Leon would be mine in a week.. :D
My LCR has had a full service history and been serviced at the right intervals and I intend on taking the car to it's tuning potential now on standard turbo.. She's covered 50k so cambelt & waterpump won't be too far off as she's 5 years old aswell.

Another once she was home
Carpics.jpg

My plan with the car is to get to stage 2 and improve the car in all of the right areas with top level quality upgrades. I'm not one for wanting 'bigger bhp than yours' but I am aiming around the 280 mark with as close to 290 lb/ft torque once she is mapped to stage 2.

The car did have a Pipercross panel filter for a while, but if you see my recent updates, I'm now running a Jetex open cone.

Instead of going through the small mods that I did early on with the car and didn't post up on here, I'm going to put a spec list of the car as it is now. The car was completely standard when I bought it, not even the fabia wiper had been done, lol.

Engine/Power mods:

-AmD Stage 2 remap
-Milltek 3" downpipe & Decat
-Piper cat back
-42 Draft decat spacer
-Airtec FMIC
-Forge 008 DV - yellow spring
-Forge upper boost hoses
-Forge N75 to charge pipe hoses (ancillary)
-Forge breather hoses (under inlet mani)
-Forge Strut Top Caps
-SFS 3" Turbo intake pipe (TIP)
-Pipercross C0187 air filter
-Jabbasport heatshield
-N249 bypass
-NGK Iridium plugs - cold rating 7
-Porsche 997 Oil and Coolant caps
-Polished charge pipe
-Polished inlet manifold
-Polished dipstick handle
-Newsouth smallport inlet manifold insulating power gasket
-Fuchs Titan Race Pro S engine oil
-V-Power fuel only
-Bonnet sound proofing removed

Chassis/Handling/Transmission:

-Awesome GTI heavy duty SMF clutch kit
-Wavetrac limited slip differential (LSD)
-Forge short shifter
-42 draft VW gear linkage bushes
-AP coilovers
-Neuspeed front ARB
-Eibach rear ARB
-Audi S3 upper front strut brace
-Hughes Engineering rear strut brace
-FULL Superpro polybushed underneath
-EBC Ultimax turbo grooved front discs
-Ferodo DS2500 pads
-Motul RBF660 fluid
-Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta tyres
-Speedline Turini alloys in anthracite

Interior:

-Recaro LCR front seats, oem rears
-Autogauge stepper motion boost/oil gauges with double pillar pod
-Sony iPod head unit with fascia adapter. iPod 80GB classic in glovebox
-Awesome GTI 'Cupra R' mats
-LED interior boot bulb

Exterior:

-Fabia rear wiper conversion
-Full front VW Golf Mk4 Aero wiper arm & blade conversion
-3/4 numberplate
-LED numberplate bulbs
-Phillips Silvervision indicator bulbs all round
-6000K HID kit (H7R bulbs)
-LED sidelights
-Fogs removed
-Fiesta Mk6 tinted side repeaters
-L E O N debadged

Religous use of Shell V-Power since ownership to my wallets disgust! I had a fair size stone chip on my windscreen repaired for free as one of my neighbours is an Autoglass guy. Sorted.

So this is where the post merges up with my coilover treatment on the car..

..Coilovers fitted! And boy I love them. Perfect height, but I've been told alot of the bushes have seen better days so these will need replacing and I'll go for the full Superpro kit at AMD when money/time allows. I think I've seen a TDI Cupra on here that had it done? Jonjay? Someone confirm please...

I'm looking forward to getting the car back to being tight and better than it was from SEAT one day with uprated bushes all round. I'll probably wait till I get the ARBs to get the bush kit done.

Very happy with the coilovers overall, the price and super service I received from the AMD lads, keeping me updated while I shopped in Lakeside :)

I spoke to Ben before fitting, and we decided for my use it would be best to set them up at a compromised level for fast road use while not being trackday harsh. To me the ride is the same over bumps etc, but the car just feels tighter and more like a go-kart! Sharper turn in etc is all there I noticed on the way home.

Here's a couple of pic's below.......... Not great one's but I will get more don't worry.

360car069-1.jpg

360car068-1.jpg

Post getting messy again.. Another thread merged sorry..!

Next issue ironed out - the ESP light was stuck on since the last time the boost hose blew off on the motorway. AMD guys had the answer, take MAF off, clear the fault and put MAF back on. ESP light cleared!

Tom

Last edited:

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Quality stuff mate!

Im about to invest in a full powerflex bush kit, front and rear arbs and a set of springs.

Have you got a link to the coilover kit you bought? Might have to upgrade to them too :p

AMD told me superpro have taken over the powerflex ones or something so I'm getting the lot done next month.

No link on my coilovers sorry. All they have is the KW's on website but I rung up they do the AP's and Weitecs too aswell as other spring kits like Spax. But I wanted coilovers.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Nice drop!

Lowwwww rida! [B)]

Cheers! I'm happy with the drop but glad I'm goin back to AMD in a month for the bushing kit as it would have settled by then so I can get any height adjustments done etc.

Low looks a million times better on LCRs!

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Looking good , happy birthday

Oh and here's some AMD rolling road pics and vids...

360car-1.jpg

360car024.jpg

tomdavies
[/URL][/IMG]

Apologies for the video rotating halfway through... You get the idea though! :whistle:

It was a humid day at AMD and she made 210bhp over 3 runs and around 202 lb/ft torque. I discussed this with Shaun, he said a fmic would help but it should be making more. It won't be going on the rollers again till it gets mapped but it's not bothering me too much for now.

She hadn't been running v-power for long when I put her on the rollers. Panel filter and Forge tip had only just gone on that day before the runs, so she was adapting a bit aswell.

Fuel filter, spark plugs prob need replacing too and will all be done in due time at a full service..

Last edited:

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
Don't be in for a shock when it really doesn drop that much at 25 mine never , what's the ride like on ap's I looked at them but I want damping so going to go for the weitecs ,

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Don't be in for a shock when it really doesn drop that much at 25 mine never , what's the ride like on ap's I looked at them but I want damping so going to go for the weitecs ,

Tbh mate I find the height perfect. I don't want it too low as it's a daily driver so was always after a compromise.

The ride needs to settle a bit. Not even driven her today and won't be either. But it feels firm and there's alot less body roll. But ARBs are on my future mods list so it'll only get better hopefully.
The weitecs are rated well on here aswell mate so you'll be fine with those.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I think I've seen a TDI Cupra on here that had it done? Jonjay? Someone confirm please... :)

So next month is the FULL superpro bushing kit offer at AMD (going to take 5 hours to do) and I still want the turbo back exhaust after that... Although I've got some pressure to get front and rear ARB's instead now I'm sorting the ride out.
:D
I thought my ears were burning....

You will get general tightness from changing all the bushes yes. The play your experiencing in the wheel should be helped with a new steering rack bush but I am more inclined to think that changing the wishbone bushes will make the biggest difference to the feel of the car.

Having changed every single bush on the car the way I got the steering to be really responsive was actually changing the drop links on the front Anti Roll Bar. I know LCRs drop links are different but I know there are uprated versions out there.

Uprating your anti-roll bars will definition help steering also so it down to where you want to go with the car.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
I thought my ears were burning....

You will get general tightness from changing all the bushes yes. The play your experiencing in the wheel should be helped with a new steering rack bush but I am more inclined to think that changing the wishbone bushes will make the biggest difference to the feel of the car.

Having changed every single bush on the car the way I got the steering to be really responsive was actually changing the drop links on the front Anti Roll Bar. I know LCRs drop links are different but I know there are uprated versions out there.

Uprating your anti-roll bars will definition help steering also so it down to where you want to go with the car.

Ha ha, indeed, it was you!

Great advice, thank you Sir! I've not got to the ARB's yet, but think I'll be going R32 front and Neuspeed on the rear. Do you or anyone know of where to go for uprated drop links? Or is this something I should give AMD a call about do you think?

Initially I only wanted to lower the car and reduce body roll, but now I'm wanting the handling and the ride wired more than upping the power of the car as a priority.

Looking forward to getting all the Superpro bushes done though for sure :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.