interior light

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
ok question or 2

my front interior light has 2 bulbs the left hand one seems to turn off quickly and leave the drivers one on till i turn the key

is this a weird fault of some kind or a ' design feature '

also on my mk4 golf i swapped the original light out for one from a passat w8 that had red led's in it that lit the cabin & had a better switch arrangement

does any one know if any lights from say a mk5 golf or audi a3 would do the same job ?

mm

Sir Monkfish

Look who's Torqueing
Apr 8, 2011
Sevenoaks, Kent
I've been trying to find out the same thing.

I think the standard units are notorious, mine is cream crackered, took it to bits to try and adjust it but I've made it worse, neither map lights work now :(

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
thanks sir monkfish its tosh and the light from it dull , going out to see tt3d tonight with some of the boys in a mk5 gti will pay special attention to the roof light

MM

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
in the end we didnt go in the gti , however as life is some times the answer is closer than you think

washed both cars this morning & looking up at the light in the mrs mk5 polo , its the same size & looks just like the alternative you see in the altea hand book

2 smaller map lights and a central courtesy as well

so the question now is did they make a different version for the gti polo with red led's & light up switches

Sir Monkfish

Look who's Torqueing
Apr 8, 2011
Sevenoaks, Kent
Ah, i think i have the alternative one of which you speak, with a map light either side and a rocker switch to control the main courtesy light?

It's the rocker switch which is fudged.

Anyway, mk5 polo you say? Bound to be better made...

Sir Monkfish

Look who's Torqueing
Apr 8, 2011
Sevenoaks, Kent
On mine you just lever out the clear plastic lens part, then you can access some clips which again you just lever, and the whole unit drops out.

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
right her we are

had the time this morning to pull em both out , same plugs & same size
altea one on one disco light
SAM_2304.jpg

polo mk5 light

SAM_2305.jpg

socket it the same on both
SAM_2307.jpg

i should have noted the part number . if i get a chance i will

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
@ toxic

tbh i didnt swap em over , the bulbs are different in the original one 2 feston contact either end

polo mk5 is one of those & possible 2 501's in the map lights

thing is did they make a gti led version ?

Sir Monkfish

Look who's Torqueing
Apr 8, 2011
Sevenoaks, Kent
Ok I give up, can't find any useful images online.

It doesn't help that some people count each facelift as a new mk, some forums call it the Mk4 facelift, some the 9N3, and some the Mk7! :cry:

All I can think of now is to trawl some forecourts for a GTi and have a butchers lol

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
VW pitched the 6n2 as the MK5 and as it was the first to have a GTI trim model, I thought I'd check even though I thought it unlikely.

So it's the 9n / 9n2 then.

One on eBay, part number is 6Q0947105 according to the advert.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise