Rear disk options mk3 ibiza 1.8t cupra

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Hi
Have converted my mk2 ibiza race car to mk3 rear disks and are now looking for options for rear disks, want something as lightweight as possible, but not slotted as i dont need more rear brake power. Any plain drilled disks out there? Any wave disks out there?
Cheers
Rob

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Something like this would be good

http://www.premiermotorsportdevelopments.co.uk/ultralight-brake-discs-120-c.asp

sierra-solid-ultralight-brake-discs-3.5kg-saving-195-p.jpg

Could even put a wave edge on it. Might knock 30% off the weight of an unsprung part that does very little work so could easily be lightened

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I reckon a local machine shop (or friend with a pillar drill) could do a good job on making a stock one lighter

What about some alloy bells? Is there something off the shelf that you could start with?

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Ideally the holes need a radius so not as easy as it may first appear. Hence looking for some ready made. Ally bells would be nice, but theres not much room for a ring of bolts. The factory cars with ali bells chucked the handbrake caliper and had a nice ap one that had a thinner pad, hence room for the bolts. Will post a picture i have.

But as i have a pillar drill, might just end up chopping some cheap disks and see if they fall apart when used in anger.

Something off the shelf would be nice though....

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Yeah, you need something like that, but compatible with an OEM calliper... Assuming you need / want a handbrake

I like the idea of home butchery though

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
I reckon you could get a lot of weight out of a std disk seeing as the 1.8t has a seperate hub, its not structural so tospeak unlike the mk2 combined hub/disk affair. The whole disk and bell could be thinned on a lathe, and then filled with holes.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Finally reply from italy, 440 euro plus postage if anyone wants a set. Will be ordering next week.
Cheers
Rob

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
Weight saving will be about 20-30% over a std rotor. Its unsprung weight so important. Ali bells are better for heat dissipation but thats not so critical on the rear (although i have blued them before so they do work). Vwm used them on golfs so likely to be worthwhile. Like anything slightly out if ordinary, cost is high.....but what can i say....i'm a modding addict lol

(edit, ali is only 34% of the weight of iron/steel, sg. 2.70 vs 7.87)

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.