tuning boxes...

luntley24

Oct 28, 2013
scarborough
im awaiting delivery of a 2013 1.6tdi leon se and iv been looking at tuning boxes, on the test drive it felt pretty responsive although i do drive an astra j 1.6 sri which is horrificly slow:lol: but as a man id like a little more from it, whats peoples opinions on these tuning boxes? do they work aswell as what the retailers make out?

thanks in advance :D

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
I've had experience with a few dtuk boxes and friends/colleagues have been really happy. I plan to get one when it's bedded in.

Last edited:

luntley24

Oct 28, 2013
scarborough
yeah iv been looking at the dtuk ones as iv heard they are a great company and i guess you get what you pay for with these as iv seen some for 70 on cheapbay and i guess they will be %$£# haha. i wouldnt want to get one till iv done over 1000miles to be safe.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
im awaiting delivery of a 2013 1.6tdi leon se and iv been looking at tuning boxes, on the test drive it felt pretty responsive although i do drive an astra j 1.6 sri which is horrificly slow:lol: but as a man id like a little more from it, whats peoples opinions on these tuning boxes? do they work aswell as what the retailers make out?

Thanks in advance :D

Do a search on here on the mk3 section, is a couple of long posts regarding tuning boxes
With plenty of advice :)
I'm on my phone so can't easily post up the link, but a search should find it

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
There are a few goodish boxes out there, but the the general ones on ebay are very poor.

Speak to companies like Darkside Developments who might want to offer mapping for the new engines

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
I believe, that Revo Technik has a kind of tuning box system as well. But the software has to be installed on the car first, for the box to work.
No word from them regarding the new VAG engines though.

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Revo is different

its a remap, that can be adjusted via "SPS" basically you can change some settings

luntley24

Oct 28, 2013
scarborough
I wouldn't really want to go down the mapping route due to warranty issues where as boxes are removable and untraceable as I understand.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
You are never really going to have a warranty issue with mapping unless the engine blows, Ive had 3x cars mapped under warranty now.

If anything went wrong i would get the map removed before taking it for warranty issues.

I had my FR TDI in for warranty replacement of injectors when it was running Stage2+ tuning

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
I think most of the mk3 engines have to have the ecu opened up or replaced completely at the moment to remap. Next to nobody is offering this service.

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
expect REVO and APR to do stuff very soon, i know APR have a MK7 Golf GTI which is tuned.

Yes the ECU has to be opened

Jun 15, 2013
im awaiting delivery of a 2013 1.6tdi leon se and iv been looking at tuning boxes,

If you were concerned about the performance meeting your expectation's why didn't you buy the 150PS version.

That way you would have no worries about warranty and spending hours trying to explain to a person at the Insurance Company what a tuning box is and why it should not increase your premium.

If you don't tell your insurers that you have one and intend removing it should the unthinkable happen have you thought about how simple that would be if you had an accident on the Motorway on a wet night and the Police/Highways Agency were insisting you leave the car and go to a place of safety.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
If you were concerned about the performance meeting your expectation's why didn't you buy the 150PS version.

That way you would have no worries about warranty and spending hours trying to explain to a person at the Insurance Company what a tuning box is and why it should not increase your premium.

If you don't tell your insurers that you have one and intend removing it should the unthinkable happen have you thought about how simple that would be if you had an accident on the Motorway on a wet night and the Police/Highways Agency were insisting you leave the car and go to a place of safety.

I love these old storys, updated for the 21 century with the words tuning box lol

Used to be "that crossflowed head and high lift cams u fitted" sharp intake of breath
"you have a crash, the insurance Company will strip your engine and find it, you mark my words"

Yeah right

I've never meet anyone who has had that
But heard plenty of , a friend of a friend told me a bloke in a pub told me that's what happened to him :)
insurance companies can't be arsed and have far more inventive ways of getting out of paying a claim and most assessors could not tell a tuning box from a matchbox

Jun 15, 2013
I love these old storys, updated for the 21 century with the words tuning box lol

Used to be "that crossflowed head and high lift cams u fitted" sharp intake of breath
"you have a crash, the insurance Company will strip your engine and find it, you mark my words"

Yeah right

I've never meet anyone who has had that
But heard plenty of , a friend of a friend told me a bloke in a pub told me that's what happened to him :)
insurance companies can't be arsed and have far more inventive ways of getting out of paying a claim and most assessors could not tell a tuning box from a matchbox

I take it from that you have never had an accident and seen the assessor go over the car with a fine tooth comb looking for ways of avoiding the payout.

But if you want to drive round in a potentially uninsured car (you will be covered for damage to others - just not our own) go ahead. I for one cannot afford to take such a risk and I am surprised you are allowed to advise persons to do that on this forum.

And using your own example, its a lot easier for insurers to detect tuning boxes and re-maps than big valve heads and cam changes. No strip down necessary, just a pair of eyes and possibly a laptop.

Considering the cost should not be excessive why take the risk.

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
I take it from that you have never had an accident and seen the assessor go over the car with a fine tooth comb looking for ways of avoiding the payout.

But if you want to drive round in a potentially uninsured car (you will be covered for damage to others - just not our own) go ahead. I for one cannot afford to take such a risk and I am surprised you are allowed to advise persons to do that on this forum.

And using your own example, its a lot easier for insurers to detect tuning boxes and re-maps than big valve heads and cam changes. No strip down necessary, just a pair of eyes and possibly a laptop.

Considering the cost should not be excessive why take the risk.

I wasn't advising anyone

I just thought it was funny, reminded me of all the tales I'd heard and how some of them are now internet facts

I've had many experiences with insurance companies and assesors
From dealing with the trade and insurance industry.I should add not my accidents
Most assessors just want to look at the vehicle and leave as soon as possible, did have one who did advise not to pay a claim due to under inflated tyres on a vehicle, that was soon paid once it was pointed out the car had been sitting for two years whilst the insurance company got its act together

Whilst there was many, one sticks in the mind. A calibra turbo engine and 4x4 running gear in a standard 2 wheel drive astra, he's got to spot that one we all thought, he didn't

That said if you are heavily moding your car then it is probably wise to tell your insurance company, if only from the point of veiw that its the right thing to do, o and because they are such nice fluffy kind people who would never try and fleece you :)

If its an ebay type tuning box, then I probably wouldn't bother telling the insurance as its probably reduced the power of your car anyway ;-)

I should add, your advice was good especially about buying a bigger car in the first place.
The last bit just made me chucle it was nothing personal regarding your advice to the op

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
You'd be surprised what the insurance companies know about you if they choose to look before an assessor even looks at your car. I work for the company that provide all the big companies their anti fraud tech. All it would take is for you to mention 'remap' on here and use any details which are shared with your insurance account.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.