Whiter or LED fog lights

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Anyone successfully changed their fog light bulbs to LED or a whiter halogen?

Would prefer LED but heard they can cause errors, anyone know what type of bulb the fog lights are anyway?

Thanks.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
H8 is what you want. I commented in an earlier thread about this and personally used Mtech super whites from Hids 4u. About £ 12 and nice and white to match the led headlights. In fact, whisper it quietly, I use the fogs at night to illuminate the sides of our rural roads as they show up potholes brilliantly.
Strictly illegal but I do not wish to trash my wheels or suspension.

spikeydoo

not such a newbie
May 19, 2006
Somerset
I've ordered some LEDs for the fogs, but read it's a front bumper off - is that correct? If so might not bother....

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
You will struggle to get any led dogs that don't bring up an error and unless you're good with resistors and soldering irons I suggest mtec as well but I think I went with cosmos blue which matches my xenons better, unsure about leds though

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
H8 is what you want. I commented in an earlier thread about this and personally used Mtech super whites from Hids 4u. About £ 12 and nice and white to match the led headlights. In fact, whisper it quietly, I use the fogs at night to illuminate the sides of our rural roads as they show up potholes brilliantly.
Strictly illegal, but I do not wish to trash my wheels or suspension.

Can you link to an on-line store that sells them?

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Don't think its a front bumper off, maybe on the FR but on my SE according to the manual a couple of screws and that's it.

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
From the manual, remove two screws in each fog surround to remove the surround, then three mounting screws at front of each fog at the front.

For the FR, you also need to unclip the front arch liners to get behind the fogs.
No need for bumper off, just turn the wheel as far as you can to gain better access to the arch liner :)

spikeydoo

not such a newbie
May 19, 2006
Somerset
Thanks for the info, I'll be having a go at this at the weekend, so much appreciated.

I'll be fitting these:

I'm assuming I'll need some resistors, so got these to accompany them:

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
Thanks for the info, I'll be having a go at this at the weekend, so much appreciated.

I'll be fitting these:

I'm assuming I'll need some resistors, so got these to accompany them:

Looks good

You probably know this already, but those resistors can get really hot, hot enough to melt plastic and set fire to combustible stuff

I fix them to a heatsink then bolt that to the metalwork of the car 2 b safe, as I've seen pictures of what's left of an engine bay when a resistor isn't fixed properly

spikeydoo

not such a newbie
May 19, 2006
Somerset
Last edited:

nokiauk

Feb 9, 2003
Edinburgh
Well gave up on mine for now (SE) manual states 1 screw to take off the surround, looks like there are in fact 2, 1 seems to be a normal screwdriver the other looks like a Torx bolt and I don't have one long enough to reach.

I may look again one weekend and try the FR method of getting in behind the arch liner.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.