Removing door cards

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Has anyone removed the door cards on their Leon yet? How hard is it? Any gotchas? How many clips are used?

I've found one vid on YouTube but it's not very detailed or in English. Any help would be appreciated.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
I too am about to attempt this! If anyone has any hints (especially with regard to things I might damage) then I'd be interested to hear. I've already ordered trim removal tools and clips to replace any I might break.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
I watched the fitter doing it that fixed mine. It had been in three times so demanded to observe his efforts.
Clips are one trick ponies. You must replace them all (10ish I think). Defo need the correct tools cause the plastic brackets that are held on with the clips easily bend/break. Start at side nearest the front wing, pull out (3 clips) and slide panel forward towards the wing. Be careful not to drop the card as you might damage the e/w switch tugging on the cable (fook knows how you disconnect it, didn't watch that bit, not a lot of play in the cable). Disconnect the door cable (small clip). When replacing, put all clips back on the panel FIRST. then put back on the door starting from the top.
Good luck

Last edited:

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
I figured it out using this video to get me started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdehMhAPu1g

Once you remove the two torx screws as per the vid then start removing the trim from the bottom left corner (also indicated in the vid). I found it easier to go along the bottom first, then up the side. The top panel where the LED is housed is hooked over the top of the door against the window frame.

I found it easier and more clip friendly to remove just enough of the clips to get my hands behind the card and then pull. There's a few connectors to remove on each door (windows, mirror, etc). I put a stool under the door to rest the card on whilst I removed the connectors. The door mechanism has a single clip holding it against the door which is simply pulled free then you need to rotate the cable barrel in it's housing to free it. It's obvious as soon as you see it.

It's not too hard once, you know where to pull and push then the second door will take about 10-15 mins. The first took me about 45 mins as I was trying not to break anything and figuring out where everything was secured.

I bought a pack of clips just in case. I needed to replace 5 in total as they weren't budging.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T5-DOO...Domain_3&fits=Car+Make:VW&hash=item5d32665d60

Going to sound proof the rear doors as soon as I get more foam.

When you refit the card then hook over the top of the door first and push it downwards towards the floor, ensuring it's flush to the window frame. Then just bang the clips home, if it's in place then the two torx screw threads will be visible.

Don't forget to check the LED's, speakers and switches work before securing everything down. Take a pic of the connectors before disconnecting them but TBH they can only go one way and everything is colour coded. Simples.

Last edited:

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
If anyone wants a hand and is in Northants or Cambs then I don't mind stopping by and watching you break your own clips :rofl:

Just shout if you need a hand.

Last edited:

ayster

Mar 4, 2015
Manchester, UK
Whats the thing thats just stuck on with 4 bits of duct tape, does it come from the factory like that??
leondoor_zpsgqkb62xa.jpg

Orbiter

Orbiter
Apr 3, 2015
I figured it out using this video to get me started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdehMhAPu1g

Once you remove the two torx screws as per the vid then start removing the trim from the bottom left corner (also indicated in the vid). I found it easier to go along the bottom first, then up the side. The top panel where the LED is housed is hooked over the top of the door against the window frame.

I found it easier and more clip friendly to remove just enough of the clips to get my hands behind the card and then pull. There's a few connectors to remove on each door (windows, mirror, etc). I put a stool under the door to rest the card on whilst I removed the connectors. The door mechanism has a single clip holding it against the door which is simply pulled free then you need to rotate the cable barrel in it's housing to free it. It's obvious as soon as you see it.

It's not too hard once, you know where to pull and push then the second door will take about 10-15 mins. The first took me about 45 mins as I was trying not to break anything and figuring out where everything was secured.

I bought a pack of clips just in case. I needed to replace 5 in total as they weren't budging.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T5-DOO...Domain_3&fits=Car+Make:VW&hash=item5d32665d60

Going to sound proof the rear doors as soon as I get more foam.

When you refit the card then hook over the top of the door first and push it downwards towards the floor, ensuring it's flush to the window frame. Then just bang the clips home, if it's in place then the two torx screw threads will be visible.

Don't forget to check the LED's, speakers and switches work before securing everything down. Take a pic of the connectors before disconnecting them but TBH they can only go one way and everything is colour coded. Simples.

Are you going to soundproof the rear doors to reduce exterior noise or to get rid of rattles etc. Unfortunately one of the main noise entries in the car is through the glass so you cant do much about that. Some luxury car models have double glazed windows now. I imagine Anglian windows might have trouble getting one to fit the Leon?

JMAC

Feb 18, 2015
Whats the thing thats just stuck on with 4 bits of duct tape, does it come from the factory like that??
leondoor_zpsgqkb62xa.jpg

It's an access panel to the outer skin of the door. Mine had no tape on it as it fits quite snuggly and needs a good pull to remove.

BigARG

Mar 24, 2015
Essex
Are those clips definitely the right ones ? When I click on the link and input the vehicle spec it says they are not compatible.
My front passenger door is a bit of a rattler and I'm in 2 minds as to try myself or take it to a garage. Feel bad about taking it to a garage that I didn't buy it from.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
I wouldn't feel bad about that, but yes - they are definitely the correct clips. Removed the door card myself this weekend and used those clips in the process.

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
Quick tip for those removing door cards, Before you start turn the temp up all the way a nice warm car with nice warm plastic reduces the chances of snapping things when you remove the door card.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members