Turbo Silencer Removed

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Frustrated at not being able to do my second intercooler pipe mod, I've been a bit rash.

Don't know if you know, but on the 210/225 the turbo is fitted with a "silencer". That's what the bulge is in the pipe from the turbo. Anyway I've taken mine out. Not for the faint hearted - lots of bashing, smashing and beating, follow by some some cutting, more bashing, a bit of swearing and some welding (thank god I found spare can of mig gas).

Anyway, I found some info that says between 8-10hp on a chipped motor, and in the process of having a look at doing the job, I had one of those "while I've got the parts off, I might as well do it" moments.

After a five mile run (to fix my dad's PC :rolleyes: ) I think I can feel a difference. Might be 0, might be 10, might've been that I was determined to feel a difference after being so heartless with my poor car.

We might see something on Sunday...

Edit: I *think* we saw +7bhp, but dyno lottery and all that.

Edit: Found a sectional diagram of the part - the red bit:

TurboSilencer.gif

Last edited:

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Actually, you can - not a step shift louder if you know what I mean, but a bit more to it. Info I found said "sounds like a bigger turbo", maybe it does, but only if the "bigger turbo" is a K04.1....

LEO LION R

if you need to ask . . .
Mar 25, 2002
on the edge
" Anyway, I found some info that says between 8-20hp on a chipped motor, and in the process of having a look at doing the job, I had one of those "while I've got the parts off, I might as well do it" moments. "

What exactly is it you've done, i don't understand - you removed what part ? what size, shape ? on the side of the turbo !!!!!

:confused:

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Now, how did I know you'd pick this one up?

You know the bulge in the pipe that leads from the turbo? It's got a bulge in it to house a silencer/baffle/muffler thing. Just like a exhaust silencer.

I've taken it out and fitted a sleeve, kind of like a de-cat in exhaust terms I guess.

Removing it opens up the diameter of the pipe at that point.

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
Kin ell phil,u actually did it then :thumbup: ,u pi$$ed me a bit as i have a samco tip(black)and a green panel to go in,so our cars HAD identical mods apart from code of course you revo,me apr,would have been good to compare LCR's CODE :rolleyes: anyway look forward to seeing sunday mate ;)
vern

P.S u brave and foolish ba*stard,cannot belive you did it lol,it was only talk :idea:

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
"off topic" Leo get back to bed u start your new job tommoz dont ya?
are u back from the garage yet,to have alook @ what phil has done,when u see it, u will think he is mad too :)

vern

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
the part he removed is on the the turbo outlet pipe which goes to the intercooler, its just a muffler to reduce the noise of the turbo.
im not sure if it will give you more power though, as the olderspec ko3S didnt have this, but newer ones do and i dont think theres any difference beteen them?

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
vern said:
Kin ell phil,u actually did it then :thumbup: ,u pi$$ed me a bit as i have a samco tip(black)and a green panel to go in,so our cars HAD identical mods apart from code of course you revo,me apr,would have been good to compare LCR's CODE :rolleyes: anyway look forward to seeing sunday mate ;)
vern

P.S u brave and foolish ba*stard,cannot belive you did it lol,it was only talk :idea:

What do you mean it was only talk - I did it on the basis of that chat we had at JBS. You mean you weren't serious? :censored:

:roflmao:

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
SoLiDSnK said:
But what did you remove? do you have any pic?

Didn't take any pictures myself, but this one shows someone else's

http://www.audi-speed.com/community/faq/faq_bild_show.asp?ID=65

The one on the left is OE, the one on the right modded. Looking at that pic, I got a larger diameter sleeve in there - 63.5mm stainless one (don't know what the OD was, I fitted what I had that fitted.

The outside of the silencer bit is like a honey spoon, that fills the cannister. An easier/easy way of doing this would be to cut the cannister off the pipe, and weld on a new section (would need a piece slightly less than 63.5mm for this). This way would be slightly more reversible than smashing the cast insert into tiny little pieces, which is how it comes out. I suppose you could actually cut the end off the cannister, remove the slicencer and weld the end back on.

The silencer is quite brittle, but I found that by zapping it with the mig welder it oxidised and bubbled and was then even easier to "cut" with a chisel.

A few random stabs at the throttle this morning, and I can definitely feel an improvement in spool up and pull at low revs (top gear, 3000 rpm up). I do think there's also an overall increase.

@Vern, I know mate, I also wanted to. As I said, I was a bit rash, but at least this way I'll see any improvement/reduction on sunday. I've also had the revo code updated, and that felt "softer" at the top end, so that's two things changed for one rr day - not very esy to determine what any change is a result off...

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
mk4polo said:
the part he removed is on the the turbo outlet pipe which goes to the intercooler, its just a muffler to reduce the noise of the turbo.
im not sure if it will give you more power though, as the olderspec ko3S didnt have this, but newer ones do and i dont think theres any difference beteen them?

Fitted to K04 only I think?

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
Feel said:
Frustrated at not being able to do my second intercooler pipe mod, I've been a bit rash....
Phil re mind me what was this mod samco's?like rudds?

new code as well eh?,one thing mate should be able to see what works and what dont ;)

vern

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
The pipe from the second (passenger's side) intercooler to the throttle body. I'm thinking of replacing the two part (plastic in front of the battery, rubber hose from there to the TB) with a larger diameter, straighter, something or other.

Samco just replaces the rubber hose (obviously), not the plastics bit. I might just replace the plastic one, then fit a samco...

Last edited:

vern

I Miss Her Below!
Jun 17, 2003
N.Yorks.
seatcupra.net
Feel said:
The pipe from the second (passenger's side) intercooler to the throttle body. I'm thinking of replacing the two part (plastic in front of the battery, rubber hose from there to the TB) with a larger diameter, straighter, something or other.
got u,the samco is much wider than o/e hose,although rudds seamed kinked i'e too long,does look like a bottle neck to be fair,all these little mods add up u know :p

vern

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.