PD150 turbo troubles

Mar 25, 2024
Hey guys. Just went and bought a lovely MK1 pd150 last week. Loads of service history and folders upon folders of every receipt. The man I bought I off was in in 60s at least so I can't imagine it has been ragged.

So I have had it a week and been giving it some now and again and been running great, until yesterday driving up the road then bang, turbo gone puff of smoke out the back and that was that. Was half a mile from home so I did take it home. So I'm not too clued up on the diesels as I have only had 1.8ts before. Do you guys think this will be full new turbo replacement. Seals obviously went as oil had dissapeared and is coming out my exhaust. Car never done a runaway thankfully, but could the oil have went the other way aswell? If it has got into the engine would I have been able to tell from the short drive home? Cars getting a lift into garage tomorrow, was just wanting any opinions on what else could be away on it?

I think the fact this old guys had it since 2009 it's probably never seen a bit of boost like that in its life. Can seals be replaced or is it full new turbo? Thanks guys

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
A lot of these things come down to how deep your pockets are. You've got a choice of trying to recondition the turbo, getting a turbo from a breaker, or buying new and possibly upgrading the turbo to a more modern one. That last option will cost you, but the first two might cost you as well, if you know what I mean! If you recondition, there can be issues with balance, which can cause the turbo to fail again, and with a breaker you don't really know if it's going to do the same as your current one.

As for oil in the system, the turbo is pretty low down in the engine bay so it's unlikely any got into the engine. There will always be a light misting of oil in the boost pipes anyway, but if you switched off the engine sharpish, I think you're alright.

There are some good videos on BMAC VAGS on YouTube about taking the turbo out and reconditioning it. Best to get a proper look at it once it's out so you know just what's happened and how bad it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk