1.4 ACT or 150 TDI

damo74

Feb 16, 2013
About to change my Exeo for a Leon FR,
I'm unsure to go for a 1.4 ACT or a 150 TDI. If I go for the 1.4, I'll add the Sound Pack, Storage Pack & Convenience Pack. I'm going to go for Bright Red, Tech Pack and 18" Alloy Upgrade.
When I make my mind up with engine, then I need to decide 3 or 5 door :D

Any advice, ideas are welcome!

Cheers folks

Last edited:

Peter W

Aug 8, 2014
Larne, County Antrim
It comes down to the mileage you're going to be doing. But then you probably know that anyway. I've got the 150 TDI, and wish I'd have gone for the petrol one. Having changed jobs since buying it, and working a 1 minute walk away. It's a cracking torquey engine but I am worried about DPF problems because of not hardly driving it. I've only done 801 miles since 1st of december! That's 5 months....

damo74

Feb 16, 2013
I'm doing about 12k miles a year, the slight difference in economy will be offset against the cost of fuel.
I'd love another DSG but the lease price is £££ too much

damo74

Feb 16, 2013
Yeah, I can't justify that I'm afraid! If only the 1.4 was available with DSG....

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
I think you'd have to do a lot of miles for the diesel to make sense. The 1.4 ACT is surely the best balance of economy and performance. 60mpg and 0-60 in 7.9 seconds - I find that incredible. Also, the petrol is always going to be smoother than a diesel or as the car magazines say - "more refined".

I say get the petrol and use money saved to put some extra toys on it :D

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Get the 1.4, your not really doing enough miles to offset the extra cost of the diesel plus you'll have no dpf to worry about!

damo74

Feb 16, 2013
Thanks for the advice folks! I was also thinking the lighter engine of the 1.4 would be kinder to the front tyres. Sick of only getting circa 15k out of the fronts!

Orbiter

Orbiter
Apr 3, 2015
It comes down to the mileage you're going to be doing. But then you probably know that anyway. I've got the 150 TDI, and wish I'd have gone for the petrol one. Having changed jobs since buying it, and working a 1 minute walk away. It's a cracking torquey engine but I am worried about DPF problems because of not hardly driving it. I've only done 801 miles since 1st of december! That's 5 months....

DPF problems, yes thats why I have just gone back to petrol and yes the 1.4TSi is a superb engine, generally more 'pleasant' than diesel IMO, and dont forget the legislators will be getting tough on diesel emissions soon i.e City tariffs and probably a greater difference between taxation of petrol and diesel to encourage the eventual death of diesel cars, meanwhile that surely means lower resale prices on diesels soon?

Last edited:

Raymondo111

Apr 6, 2015
DPF problems, yes thats why I have just gone back to petrol and yes the 1.4TSi is a superb engine, generally more 'pleasant' than diesel IMO, and dont forget the legislators will be getting tough on diesel emissions soon i.e City tariffs and probably a greater difference between taxation of petrol and diesel to encourage the eventual death of diesel cars, meanwhile that surely means lower resale prices on diesels soon?

I have recently changed from a 2013 Ford Kuga Diesel which although a good car was being seriously underused, I had only done 6K in nearly 2 years and having had DPF problems in a previous Kuga which was down to a sensor decided that it was time to go back to petrol. Tried a Focus with the 1.5 Ecoboost 150PS engine but the time I specced it up to the FR ACT it worked out more expensive and that's with me being a Ford Pensioner so I get Privilege discount. Very impressed with all the Tech and fuel consumption but as the car has only done 600 miles so far not really had a chance to explore the performance. Just weigh up the extra cost of the diesel engine then factor in how many miles you need to do to get to a break even point then as Orbiter says take into consideration potential City tariffs etc and the ACT is probably the best option.

FamilyGuy

Apr 1, 2015
Get the ACT. You may get more MPG out of the diesel but this will be offset by the cheaper purchase/lease/whatever and insurance of the ACT. And the petrol engine is a thing of wonder... plenty of low down shove like the diesel for effortless fast pootling with the added bonus of revving the bollocks off it when the mood takes you.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
I'm running a diesel, had the 150 now got the 184, i thought about the petrol even doing 15-16k miles a year but decided id miss the torque of the diesel

I've just moved office at work so stuck with diesel but prior to that had no dpf issues doing 10-12k but 80% of that was motorway. if you do more town driving petrol is were you need to be

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
The residuals on diesels could drop significantly over the next three years due to the recent Supreme Court ruling regarding pollution. Also road tax and BIK rates could be affected.

Euro 6 cars may be less affected, but it is worth taking into account if the financial argument for diesel vs petrol is close.

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
be interested see how this diesel/pollution argument goes as some of the emissions on the diesels are low they cost 0 - 30 quid a year to tax

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
The low emissions you are talking about are CO2 gases, which, in theory, cause climate change. This "threat" to the world has been at the top of the agenda for many years now and is why diesel engines have been promoted heavily and given good tax breaks as they produce less CO2 than petrol.

The stuff they are now worried about, which causes real pollution and really does damage health, are the particles and gases that come mainly from diesels rather than petrol engines.

The UK Supreme Court has ruled that something has to be done about this very quickly so expect to see changes to fuel tax and road tax and company car tax to discourage the purchase of diesels over the next few years. The EU Euro 6 emission standards have gone a long way to help with this, but expect to see diesels getting a bad name in the future, which can only affect their sales and also the residual values of existing diesel cars.

cadman2k

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
One thing to consider - I do not think the ACT comes with full multi-link suspension all round.
perhaps test drive them both then you can decide

FRTSIman

Aug 2, 2013
One thing to consider - I do not think the ACT comes with full multi-link suspension all round.
perhaps test drive them both then you can decide

You could try the FR 1.8TSI. It has the full multi-link rear suspension and the engine is brilliant.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.