1.4 coolant temp light

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Thanks for the IM and reply.

I have only owned the car for a month or so (and been in the garage most that time) and it has showed the fault pretty much ever drive except when I test drove it and on the 2 1/2 hour drive home.

The pump fitted 04E.121.600.CB which I have been told was superseded 01/09/2021 by 04E.121.600.CS which is the same as you stated. The fact it shows Skoda on the part itself is confusing but seems the correct part is fitted all be it a previous version. Seat technical have finally come back stated the below:

'They agreed with us that the holding of pressure overnight, to the extent it is, can put the suspension elsewhere. They also agreed blockages can of course cause cooling system anomalies depending where the blockage is. They aren't ruling out cylinder head issues, still recommending removal for inspection of coolant channels, gasket etc. Other than that there is no real guidance from their end they can offer on where this blockage could possibly be. If not removing the head, it will be a case of things like, attempting radiator flushes. Removing coolant pipes and trying to check the one way valves by flowing water through them. One hypothesis is that a coolant leak sealer could have been used at some point in its life, the first time the coolant pump was replaced was due to overheating and a leak from it. This could possibly cause restrictions in the system and cause misreading's from sensors. But again, this is speculation.'

At this point I think I may get the car back and strip all the coolant system before I even think about taking the head off. What do you think?
Ah good, so that can be ruled out.

I struggle to see how the head gasket could be at fault - following that you have checked and no exhaust gasses were in the coolant. I would leave taking the head off as a last resort until you can guarantee the cooling system is 100% ok.

Manual here:

Have a look at the cooling system - post 2013 - which has the additional bleed circuit I noticed on the pump housing.
It actually looks 'simpler' than my TDI cooling system - I can't see any one way valves, so draining and filling looks a fairly standard affair.
There are a few heat exchangers which could be the first thing to block following 'stop leak gunk'.

Jan 26, 2022
Ah good, so that can be ruled out.

I struggle to see how the head gasket could be at fault - following that you have checked and no exhaust gasses were in the coolant. I would leave taking the head off as a last resort until you can guarantee the cooling system is 100% ok.

Manual here:

Have a look at the cooling system - post 2013 - which has the additional bleed circuit I noticed on the pump housing.
It actually looks 'simpler' than my TDI cooling system - I can't see any one way valves, so draining and filling looks a fairly standard affair.
There are a few heat exchangers which could be the first thing to block following 'stop leak gunk'.
Yes it doesnt look too bad so i have pretty much made the decision to take the car back and do a flush etc, maybe use some wynn flush on it too.

I think this secondary charge circuit could potentially be inducing air into the coolant and causing blockages too so will look at that. Perhaps the cooler in the intake is faulty but then i would expext coolant to be leaking too.

Reactions: SuperV8

MA1601

Jan 3, 2023
There is no loss of coolant. Essetially after a drive, inspecting the expansion tank it would seem the coolant is low. If leaving it to cool down it would still indicate low however if you remove the cap, the pressure releases and the coolant flows back into the tank showing the correct level. There is no coolant in the oil either but no idea where it could be trapped, there is obviously a restriction somewhere!
Hi having same problem on our 1.4 tsi 150. Did you manage to sort it in the end?

Jan 26, 2022
Hi having same problem on our 1.4 tsi 150. Did you manage to sort it in the end?
Hi,

Yes and it came back to the head gasket. I took the car back off Seat and did a gas leak test myself and it immediately showed gases in the coolant, no idea how they didnt pick this up. It turned out one of the corner head bolts was sheared and had been for some time so was leaking there. Such a strange fault but glad its fixed now, runs like a dream now.

What issue do you have?

MA1601

Jan 3, 2023
Hi,

Yes and it came back to the head gasket. I took the car back off Seat and did a gas leak test myself and it immediately showed gases in the coolant, no idea how they didnt pick this up. It turned out one of the corner head bolts was sheared and had been for some time so was leaking there. Such a strange fault but glad its fixed now, runs like a dream now.

What issue do you have?
Wow that seems like an isolated case of bad luck! How much did that set you back in the end if you don’t mind me asking?

My issue is similar whereby opening the coolant cap, the system becomes pressurised and level rises. I’ve been told it may be an airlock but I think I’ll buy a co2 test kit off ebay to see if it isn’t a head problem.

Jan 26, 2022
Wow that seems like an isolated case of bad luck! How much did that set you back in the end if you don’t mind me asking?

My issue is similar whereby opening the coolant cap, the system becomes pressurised and level rises. I’ve been told it may be an airlock but I think I’ll buy a co2 test kit off ebay to see if it isn’t a head problem.
I would, cheap and easy to do and can rule out a larger problem fairly quickly.
Was around 2k but then i had lots of bits done, the previous dealer covered half too