1.4 SE petrol not starting buy starts after 30 mins?

Greyibiza09

Mar 2, 2021
My 2009 Ibiza 120k miles just wouldn't start at normal temperature after switching off. After about 30mins it restarted and then despite me switching it on and off it always started. Couple of days later, it did the same! There is no sound when I turn the key and the battery is in good condition.

Starter Motor or key ignition switch problem? Many thanks!

CW92

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2021
A couple of things I would check is:
  • Does it have an immoboliser installed?
  • Does it only happen after being left overnight (or a couple of days) rather than shortly after being driven?
  • When attempting to start do you see any lights on the dash?
  • If you have an OBD reader (E.g. Carista or OBDEleven) do you see any fault codes?

Reactions: Greyibiza09

Greyibiza09

Mar 2, 2021
A couple of things I would check is:
  • Does it have an immoboliser installed?
  • Does it only happen after being left overnight (or a couple of days) rather than shortly after being driven?
  • When attempting to start do you see any lights on the dash?
  • If you have an OBD reader (E.g. Carista or OBDEleven) do you see any fault codes?
1. It has factory fitted immobilizer.
2. Happens after being driven at normal temperature.
3. Yes all lights appears when I turn the key.
4. No fault codes.

Many thanks

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
My 2009 Ibiza 120k miles just wouldn't start at normal temperature after switching off. After about 30mins it restarted and then despite me switching it on and off it always started. Couple of days later, it did the same! There is no sound when I turn the key and the battery is in good condition.

Starter Motor or key ignition switch problem? Many thanks!
Sounds like starter

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I could be helpful if you had a second person listen with the bonnet open open to see if they could heat a "click" coming from the solenoid mounted on the starter - listen at around the centre of the engine-gearbox combo for that - though as said it is probably the starter not wanting to turn when the heat from the "fully heated up engine" has soaked out into it.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Check the condition of the thinner cable that goes to the starter

Maybe try to remove the connector and fit again, carefully, I damaged mine once, but it worked to me when I had the problem after garage washed engine compartment.

Little tip you need to unlock it first, red thing in this position to unlock, after it is in this position push the red thing back while you remove the connector.

to fit connector again, put it in until a click sound and then push the red thing to where it was

s-l400.jpg

If everything is fine I think you need a new starter

Last edited:

Greyibiza09

Mar 2, 2021
Thanks for everything. Mechanic changed the starter motor yesterday and drove the car home to test drive it.

Reactions: CW92