1.4 TSi ACT economy

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Had a few tanks through my 150 TSi FR now and i'm getting between 36 and 38 mpg. Which is a bit rubbish. Ok, it's mostly short trips and the car has been in sport since I got it but driven nicely in eco, what do you guys get?

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
I've got the previous 1.4 TSI 140. I drive it 8 miles to work along welsh roads, they consist of lots of uphills, 30 to 60 and a few stop and go situations. I drive mine in sports mode and get 44mpg.
As yours is the ACT, it gains all the economy benefits whilst in Eco mode as the cylinders don't shut off in Sports.

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
Had a few tanks through my 150 TSi FR now and i'm getting between 36 and 38 mpg. Which is a bit rubbish. Ok, it's mostly short trips and the car has been in sport since I got it but driven nicely in eco, what do you guys get?

Short trips is your problem. I’d say that mpg is good for short distance.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
IMG_20200118_114443.jpg

Eco makes no difference, driving style and traffic make a huge difference.

I wish that ACT switched off in sport mode, it annoys the hell out of me.

Sochaux

Jan 28, 2018
I have the 1.4 125 and I’m getting 36mpg, mostly short journeys, around 10 miles a day.

Sword

Apr 22, 2019
Winchester
View attachment 12520

Eco makes no difference, driving style and traffic make a huge difference.

Agreed!

Wish we had the option to turn it off at least.

As for the mpg my long time average is 40 mpg. Mixtures of motorway, city traffic, a and b roads.

Not bad at all, it is a petrol turbo after all..
Had a 1.6 turbo before and my long term average on the same route was 28 mpg.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015

Really? I can neither feel or hear it activating. I see the light on the dash go on and off but even when I'm trying to spot the change, I can't.

Sounds like what I'm getting is about right but I disagree that it's good. Years ago I had a Nissan Primera GT. Bigger car, 2L naturally aspirated 150 bhp and it got 30 to 32 mpg consistently. More on a run. Felt faster too and was more fun to drive.

The Leon is a smaller car, 1.4 engine with years of development. Direct injection, ACT etc, so I'd say an extra four or five mpg is not impressive. Hardly any progress at all.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
We run our 1.4 150 Leon in sport, average is 42mpg, it does a lot of 1 or 2 mile journeys with some 15 milers thrown in, I tend to use c control when on dual c’s or m/way, less mpg in other modes!

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
I had the 150 engine in an Ibiza for 3 years/30k miles.
In general day to day stuff,mainly short trips,the mpg was always around 40.
On a longer run it was very easy to get over 50.
Ibiza was obviously lighter than a Leon so I would say consistent with your figures and OK,if you want better get a diesel but I wouldn’t want one.
The Primera was a long time ago and I would guess a lot lighter than a Leon,as cars were in those days.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
Really? I can neither feel or hear it activating. I see the light on the dash go on and off but even when I'm trying to spot the change, I can't.

At low speed my car lurches as it engages, in summer with the windows open and a nearby surface (parked cars etc) you can hear a loud rattle when ACT is working - probably the turbo waste gate according to Audi forums but SEAT won't action this under warranty.

Higher speeds with the windows shut is fine, no noise or lurch - but I can't see why they coded it to operate at all below 40mph

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Got to say my 1.4 150 ACT isn't great on MPG either. Again it's short trips for me, but still expected more when I got it.

This is a second car that does low miles so I'm not too bothered but we also have a 1.6 TDi which I wanted to replace with a 1.4 petrol. That car does over 15K so I too was hoping the 1.4 would be better. If my numbers are right the fuel difference per year would be around £600.

At low speed my car lurches as it engages, in summer with the windows open and a nearby surface you can hear a loud rattle when ACT is working...

I've not heard any of that. I've just driven the car in eco mode for the first time since I got it. I can't really feel much difference in responsiveness but the ACT comes on much more often.

One thing I've noticed is that it's obviously engine load dependant, which raises a question. Say you're on the flat at 40mph in fourth, ACT will come on. At the same speed in fifth, it won't, as the engine is under greater load.

So which is better? Higher gear or lower gear with ACT?

Not that I really care ;0) Just wondering.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
My 1.5 tsi (even more economical than the 1.4) i have acheived 37-38 mpg over the last 12k miles, short journeys are the killer

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Long term consumption on Mrs Seriously's ST is showing as 48.7 mpg - that's for her regular 15 mile each way trip to work (which can take up to an hour due to traffic !!) and a once or twice a month motorway trip of 120 miles one way.
I'm certainly not complaining about that sort of result if it's accurate.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
One thing I've noticed is that it's obviously engine load dependant, which raises a question. Say you're on the flat at 40mph in fourth, ACT will come on. At the same speed in fifth, it won't, as the engine is under greater load.

So which is better? Higher gear or lower gear with ACT?

Not that I really care ;0) Just wondering.

It's rev dependant, as well as load - ACT only operates when the revs are over 1500 and the engine load is light - so it could be either.

The gear guide on the dash let's you know which is the most efficient gear to be in, from memory it asks you change up to sixth at 45'ish and fifth around 35, so fifth is best at 40mph.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.