1.4 TSI FR Turbo Problem Fixed

Mar 2, 2019
Just in case this helps someone else…
2106 Leon 1.4 TSI FR. I heard a clonk under the car when I was driving on the M1, like something had maybe flicked up from the road and hit the undertray. A bit later I noticed that the amber EPC light was on and the car’s power was much reduced. The stop / start was showing a problem too.
I got the car into my usual independent garage fearing a knackered turbo. Apologies if the following isn’t quite accurate, I’m not really up to speed with modern stuff like turbos, fuel injection and ECUs 🤣. The mechanic explained that the clonk I heard was part of the car falling off - what he described to me as a rod between the hot and cold sides of the turbo, so I assume that’s the wastegate actuator linkage. Fortunately he found it resting on the undertray, although the clips to attach it couldn’t be found. He couldn’t get hold of any replacement clips - Seat only wanted to sell him a new turbo. So he fettled some replacement clips instead, saving me a fortune. He seemed to think that this might be a common problem, but I haven’t found anything quite like it on the forums.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
It is a common issue, not so much the rod falling off but sticking and throwing the car into limp. not just on this engine but most VWs. My son had the rod stick on his 2017 1L Ibiza.

Very hi-temp grease on the ends of the rod stops it from sticking. Reapplying it once a year is a good idea.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.