1.6 Petrol engine

markirel

faster on 2-wheels
Apr 7, 2006
Midlands
I had a 1.6XL as a hire car a couple of years ago. Pretty feeble, wouldn't recommend one and think that the larger petrols or the two diesels are a far better choice. Horses for courses though and it depends on what you want the car for and what floats your boat. Best thing is to take a test drive and form your own impression.

stuwbafc

Aug 30, 2009
bearwood
sorry i cant help with 16 engine but i can tell you if you have a family the altea in my opinion is the mutts nutts we've had ours for 12mths and we love it ..........my lads are 12 & 9 and when we had our astra the 12 yr old was starting to get a bit cramped but in the altea he has loads of room ,lots of other reasons but i think you'll be a bit bored by them all .....pmsl

o my bro in law has a 16 scenic and that would'nt pull skin of custard i know there differant makes but thought it mite help......

bertandernie

Apr 4, 2010
Hi PSV6 i had a 1.6 and it was gutless, great cars but that engine was not the best i got rid of mine because of what i was informed about cam belt tensioners . The only other problem i had was gearbox went just out of warranty grrr but didn't put me off.I now have a Altea 2.0 TDI much better engine for size of car.hope this helps.

Watto_uk

Mar 16, 2008
I had a 1.6XL as a hire car a couple of years ago. Pretty feeble, wouldn't recommend one and think that the larger petrols or the two diesels are a far better choice. Horses for courses though and it depends on what you want the car for and what floats your boat. Best thing is to take a test drive and form your own impression.

3 Diesels now. ;) The latest of which is the 1.6 TDI CR which is pretty damn good. Mine only has 46 miles on it and still has to loosen up, but it's still alot better than my old 1.9 when that was new. :bleh:

MWG

Oct 6, 2008
Hertfordshire
I found the 1.9 TDI to be a bit weak when i test drove it, i thought the same when i drove a 1.9 Leon and Golf plus as well. I can imagine the 1.6 petrol being great for round town driving but anything more than that it must be a real dog

tony19b

Apr 12, 2007
Lancashire
I also had an Altea 1.6 Reference courtesy car some time ago In my opinion this engine does not suit the car, especially with a typical family load on board. The modest engine capacity does not translate into modest fuel consumption either- diesel power is a better choice. Mind you I am intrigued by the new 1.2 TSI - has anyone driven one yet?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.