1.6 TDI back box delete

Jlong564

Nov 10, 2020
Just wondering I’ve had a look on YouTube and seen a video of a 1.9 TDI with a back box delete and it has the ‘owl’ sound when changing gears which I don’t want on mines not a fan. Would this be the case on my 1.6 aswell? (If anyone has done a backbox delete on there 1.6 and has a video that would be great)

Feb 14, 2021
Some cars make that sound and others don’t I’ve come to found most exhaust fabricators will tell you the same 👍🏻

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Why remove it anyways?

all diesels sound pants with exhausts and without exhausts.

whats the goal to make your 1.6 diesel unsellable?

Jlong564

Nov 10, 2020
Why remove it anyways?

Just wanting it to sound a bit throatier mate rather than it sounding like a big hairdryer

Jlong564

Nov 10, 2020
Why remove it anyways?

I don’t think it would make it unsellable there’s plenty of diesels that sound good

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
I don’t think it would make it unsellable there’s plenty of diesels that sound good
I haven’t heard any, diesels never sound “good”

i’m not slating diesels i have a 2.0l tdi VAG diesel myself but compared to a petrol unfortunately they don’t sound good.

Jlong564

Nov 10, 2020
I haven’t heard any, diesels never sound “good”

i’m not slating diesels i have a 2.0l tdi VAG diesel myself but compared to a petrol unfortunately they don’t sound good.
Yea I can agree that petrols definitely sound better do you have any ideas though on how I might make it sound better in anyway, getting a twin pipe conversion next month but not sure wether to get the back box delete done aswell

Deleted member 128267

Yea I can agree that petrols definitely sound better do you have any ideas though on how I might make it sound better in anyway, getting a twin pipe conversion next month but not sure wether to get the back box delete done aswell

won’t make much difference mate cpuld
Potentially be a waste of money.. stick to some nice visual tips I’d say.. a full turbo back system could give you some extra oomph your after but costly

Jan 31, 2021
you'll need a straight through exhaust mate for the 'owl' noise + if u have dpf delete that also

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Back in the day (yes I am old ) straight through exhausts were simple, no cat, no dpf, you could bolt on a nice tubular manifold and the pipes and it was done. sad times

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I read in the zorstworks blurb that without a change in cat or dpf the sound wont change much, this however suits me as if the rear silencer is 'redundant' Im a fan of getting rid of it. I would probably do it myself as I could manage a clamp and some bent pipe.

Any experiences in this arena?

Mar 11, 2021
The 1.6 tdi won’t pow or make the owl sound as you described it for some reason common rail engines just don’t do it where as the 1.9tdi does (I believe it’s due to different turbo set ups) my 1.6tdi was fully piped and sounded very grunty I personally loved it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 11, 2021
I read in the zorstworks blurb that without a change in cat or dpf the sound wont change much, this however suits me as if the rear silencer is 'redundant' Im a fan of getting rid of it. I would probably do it myself as I could manage a clamp and some bent pipe.

Any experiences in this arena?

Getting your DPF gutted professionally will pass all tests but give you the sound of a full straight through

Jlong564

Nov 10, 2020
Getting your DPF gutted professionally will pass all tests but give you the sound of a full straight through

I saw a video recently of a back box and dpf delete and that sounded good so I think that’s what I’ll go for

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.