1.8 FR DSG Remap

wolfie150

Oct 8, 2009
Birmingham
Hi Guys just want to pick your collective brains.
Recently changed from a MK2 FR 211 manual to a MK3 1.8 FR (65 plate) with a DSG gearbox mainly because my 20 miles daily commute involved a lot of stop starts and the manual was getting a little tiresome.
Love the new car...definite upgrade in terms of build quality and refinement...my only gripe is the constant need of the DSG to get into the highest gear at the earliest opportunity available...it can be in 4th or 5th before I've even got over a set of lights....and then if I need a turn of speed it just pootles along...I know this is a known issue and many will say just flick it into manual or use the paddles but I then find myself looking at the gear selector...in short I would like the DSG to do this for me and at the right time if possible.

I am more than happy with the power of the car...can I get a DSG remap that does not increase the power but changes how often the gear changes are? ie much further up the rev range?
and if so will this have an affect on my insurance...indeed do I even have to tell them if there is no power gain only a way in which the stock power is delivered?

Also running Conti's SportContact5 on 18's and these seem incredibly noisy on the road...are they well known for this?
Thanks

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi Guys just want to pick your collective brains.
Recently changed from a MK2 FR 211 manual to a MK3 1.8 FR (65 plate) with a DSG gearbox mainly because my 20 miles daily commute involved a lot of stop starts and the manual was getting a little tiresome.
Love the new car...definite upgrade in terms of build quality and refinement...my only gripe is the constant need of the DSG to get into the highest gear at the earliest opportunity available...it can be in 4th or 5th before I've even got over a set of lights....and then if I need a turn of speed it just pootles along...I know this is a known issue and many will say just flick it into manual or use the paddles but I then find myself looking at the gear selector...in short I would like the DSG to do this for me and at the right time if possible.

I am more than happy with the power of the car...can I get a DSG remap that does not increase the power but changes how often the gear changes are? ie much further up the rev range?
and if so will this have an affect on my insurance...indeed do I even have to tell them if there is no power gain only a way in which the stock power is delivered?

Also running Conti's SportContact5 on 18's and these seem incredibly noisy on the road...are they well known for this?
Thanks
Hi,
You'll need to check it with your insurer but most insurers who will cover a software re-map will probably want to increase the premium regardless if it actually increases the BHP.
Regards,
Dan.

PHILMEWAGON

Long member
Apr 4, 2013
Boro
hey wolfie,

I currently have a 13 plate 1.8 FR DSG. I got to say I find the car just fine. If you have it in eco or normal mode it will push up the gears more quickly. I find in sport it holds gears for significantly longer while it makes sure I want to go up another gear. Using half pedal gives a bit of a boost and full pedal will drop it into a high revving gear pretty much instantly.

You are obviously aware of the torque limit on the dry gearbox hence wanting to map without the extra power. I looked at it same as you but in the end 500 quid for a map then an extra lump on the insurance just didnt seem worth it. I can 100% assure you that you do not want to be involved in a RTA in a modified car that you havent declared, so if you do it, insure it!

oh! edit! tyres. get Michelins. Thank me later.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.