1.8 TSI SC FR - new shocks question

• Thread starter Deleted member 126301
  • Start date

Deleted member 126301

Hey forumers,

I hope this message finds you well. As a fellow nuanced enthusiast, I'd like to mine your extensive knowledge on the Mk3 Seat Leon. Recently I purchased a '14 plate 1.8 TSI FR SC in Phantom Black. It's done 83,100 and there is much to enjoy about the car. Namely, the engine's sonorous, smooth and free revving character that combines well with a tractable nature and linear power delivery. The controls are also decently weighted while the gearshift has a short, accurate and nicely direct throw. As part of the sale the car came with a 6 month RAC warranty. Within weeks I noticed that the suspension while mostly well controlled felt too jostly with occasional sharp rebound on difficult roads. An approved garage investigated and noted that the ns front and ns rear shocks were leaking quite badly. Naturally it made sense to change all four which was done today together with all top mounts. The original four were still on there. The springs had little wear and have been left as is. I considered Bilstein B4 shocks but the fitting garage couldn't warranty their fitment as they were coming from a Bilstein supplier they weren't registered with and the EuroCarParts Bilsteins were too expensive. With this in mind it made sense to get the OE Sachs Shocks from TPS. I've driven only 5 miles back from the garage tonight but immediately the car actually felt a little less incisive and more floaty on turn in - it's also sitting higher than before. On a connected note I suffer from acute anxiety and am registered disabled so the car gives me more worries than it would a disinterested laymen. Is the ride likely to settle and will the handling improve with time? It's still relatively good and as a package I mostly like the car but I'd hoped the suspension refresh would have made the ride a little more compliant. My option is to return the car to selling dealer (if it doesn't improve) under the consumer protection act (as it also has a few paintwork issues) or sell it independently. All advice is much appreciated and welcome. Please also note it has virtually new Goodyear Eagle F1 5s all round and doesn't feel unaligned or unbalanced.

Thanks in advance, Josh

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.