1.9 TDI compared with the 2.0 TDI

s22jcd

Jun 25, 2005
Has anyone tried both versions of the TDI engine?

Is the difference in torque dramatic? :rolleyes:

Also can you notice the difference with the sports suspension on the sport model?

Thank you for your replies

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
The 2 litre is less noisy and diesel like and it does seem quite quick it certainly has more power than the 1.9..in the lower tune it has in the New Leon.
Tried the 2.0tdi in an A3 sportback and was impressed.
Not as good mpg as the 1.9 though surprisingly...

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
Tuning for the 1.9 is available now though I don't know what the power can be taken to in the New Leons 1.9

Is it currently in 110bhp tune? I haven't checked the spec...a look on the Revo website will reveal all or ask this question in the revo technik forum...

Not sure what if anything yet can be done with the 2.0 diesel..ditto above I suppose.

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
Just checked the revo website...

they take the pd110 to 135bhp and 220ftlbs
and the pd130 to 179bhp and 280ftlbs

no sign of the 2.o diesel tuning options yet

which does the new leon have as the base 1.9?

the 110 or the 130?

mark sheerin

DUNLOP academy wanabee
May 26, 2002
www.fastalarms.co.uk
Youd have to speak to a tuner then really not sure about why it should be 105bhp?
Might just be down to the exhaust...it may have a particle filter to get through ec regs

s22jcd

Jun 25, 2005
That’s after a wait till the end of November early December for it to be delivered.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
mark sheerin said:
Just checked the revo website...

they take the pd110 to 135bhp and 220ftlbs
and the pd130 to 179bhp and 280ftlbs

no sign of the 2.o diesel tuning options yet

which does the new leon have as the base 1.9?

the 110 or the 130?

Quite a bit of tuning stuff already for the 2.0Tdi.

AMD ( not them grrrr) have had a 2.0 Tdi tuning for ages, they go up to a 220Bhp conversion for £2200 fitted, think its Exhaust and Hybrid turbo.

Personally you gotter be going for the 2.0, after reading VW drivers breakdown of all the differences between the 1.9 and 2.0 i know my descion. Go 2.0 if you can stretch to it, much better option long term. Especially now Mitsubishi have just started using them in there off roaders and lancers, more scop efor tuners there

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Forge Motorsport do the 2.0TDI OBD remap and quote a conservative +35bhp and I can vouch for that ;) . JBS also do Custom Code for the 2.0TDI so give either of these a call to get some better idea as to what's on offer.

the 105bhp 1.9TDI I feel is really underpowered for the likes of the Leon and the Altea even when remapped you are going to be lucky if you get over 130bhp.

mcg

having tried both, yes the 2.0 is marginally quicker but i thought it was noisier and more agricultural (tractor like) not helped by the 6 speed gear box. I can see the point of 6 speeds on a revy 16v like a civic type R, but on a torquey tdi it's pointless and irritating. As you can guess I went for the 1.9, cheaper to buy and run. Put sport wheels on it and it looks the same as the sport. And it might be my imagination but i think the stylance has more compliant suspension than the sport. I'm very happy any way

Xe

Check out Tunit V-PD for remapping the 1.9TDi, I have one on mine, and makes for easy removal for visits to the dealer. It flies with it fitted, and you have 1-9 easy adjustable settings.
I've not had the car on rollers to test what it is actually pushing, but I have driven a Leon FR flat out, and its not far behind. Plus MPG is best on the 1.9, can get 600miles per tank on mine (BP Ultimate).

Last edited by a moderator:

mcg

has it actually improved the mpg? the car belongs to my wife who isnt particularly interested in the performance but if we could squeeze a few more mpg it might be worth while in the long run

AndyWolves

The 2 litre is less noisy and diesel like and it does seem quite quick it certainly has more power than the 1.9..in the lower tune it has in the New Leon.
Tried the 2.0tdi in an A3 sportback and was impressed.
Not as good mpg as the 1.9 though surprisingly...

Jeez, the 1.9 must be bloomin loud then!!!!! I find my 2.0TDi Stylance unacceptably loud.

Xe

has it actually improved the mpg? the car belongs to my wife who isnt particularly interested in the performance but if we could squeeze a few more mpg it might be worth while in the long run

I would say its about the same, but hard to tell with these changing prices. I have had my car in today for a custom retune of the remap for my car. So I will reply back in a week or 2 and tell you if its any better.

If you want more MPG then use BP Ultimate or add a fuel treatment like Millers Diesel Power Sport 4 (or both). This will make the the engine smoother and quieter as well.

beejten

Dec 6, 2007
Scotland
Having now driven the 1.9tdi as a courtesy car for the past 2days, i have to say i prefer my 2.0tdi sport version.
The suspension is just so much more sharp and responsive, i thought the 1.9 had a lot of roll in the corners and the seats arent as near supportive as you get in the sport models. I found the 1.9 quite quiet for a diesel i much prefer the diesel grunt of the 2.0

All over the 2.0 has the edge in my opinion, but thought the 1.9 was still a good engine. The mpg wasnt much different,

also, a sixth gear is a must!:D

TheLunchCrasher

I have not driven the 1.9 Leon, have a 2.0l Tdi though and can safely say that it is the one to go for. I would recommend it to anyone after a diesel.

Will at P-Torque tells me that the 2.0l will easily make 180bhp on remap. I would do but got too many other motors to play with to spend money on a company car

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
I had a mk1 1.9TDI and, although it's an excellent engine, the 2.0TDI is much more refined and eager. It's also quite disappointing that SEAT only offer a low power output version of the 1.9TDI on the mk2 Leon...

Poverty

Audi themselves will be releasing a 2.0TDI with 200-220hp in the not to distant future for their new A4! Also word on the grapevine is that the 2.0T petrol will get bumped up to 250hp for the A4.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise