1.9TDI gone bang!!

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
Well last night I had to get my car towed into the dealer after something went bang (well not literally bang but you get the idea). The AA chap who came out seems to thing the bottom end has gone, but I'm not so sure it's that bad.

I was driving along, and floored it to pass a lorry before some duel carrageway goes back down to single lanes when the engine lost about half of it's power and started smoking a bit. I pulled into the next layby to have a look but couldn't see anything so decided to try and limp it home, but about 5 miles on it was smoking really badly and and was loosing more and more power. So I pulled into the next layby and called the AA. The patrol was luckily very close and was with me in about 20 minutes. Tried to start it again but it was very very rough now, check the dip stick and there was pretty much no oil, but none on the floor under the car, and I had only topped the oil up the week before (hardly ever needed oil whenever I checked it). :shrug:

ATM I'm still waiting for the dealer to get back to me with a diagnosis, but I'll keep you informed with updates.

My car is 16 months old and was booked in for it's 50000 mile service on Monday.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
The 1.9TDI's are pretty reliable engines, they have been used in multiple VAG vehicles for at least the last 7 years.

Check around the MK1 Leon forum and also the TDI forum, see if you can find others which have had a similar issue.

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
Just spoken to the dealer service chap, and the engine is now seized. So it sounds like something serious has happened inside.

They will be delving a bit deeper over the weekend, so I should know a bit more by end of play on Monday.

jedi knight

BIG AND BOUNCY
Jun 18, 2004
West Midlands
I suppose even though he will get a new engine it may not feel the same and theres always that thing in the back of your mind expecting something else to go wrong.

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
!!LATEST UPDATE!!​

New engine and turbo are on the way, being fully paid for by Seat.

Dealer diagnosis, is that the turbo went (my first thought) and sucked all the oil out of the engine destroying the bottom end.

Don't do it by halves me.:blink:

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
!!LATEST UPDATE!!​

New engine and turbo are on the way, being fully paid for by Seat.

Dealer diagnosis, is that the turbo went (my first thought) and sucked all the oil out of the engine destroying the bottom end.

Don't do it by halves me.:blink:

Yikes!

At least its being repaired (for free!).

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
blimey, how does that affect your resale value. i only ask as when i was last looking at cars as soon as i saw the words "new engine at 50k" i would runa a mile, even though in this instance it means nothing. Although high milage in 16 months. Lucky it was'nt 10000miles later or would have been no warranty. Might be worth doing the clutch at the same time as you may only have to pay for parts if the garage are friendly

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
if you're going to do something at least do it properly I guess :lol:

No messing around here :p

blimey, how does that affect your resale value. i only ask as when i was last looking at cars as soon as i saw the words "new engine at 50k" i would runa a mile, even though in this instance it means nothing. Although high milage in 16 months. Lucky it was'nt 10000miles later or would have been no warranty. Might be worth doing the clutch at the same time as you may only have to pay for parts if the garage are friendly

Company car, so don't need to worry about that. But it's a good question for a personal car.

I'll ask about the clutch next time I speak to them, good idea :clap:

gazjones

jesus christ sound rather bad that but least its in warrenty but surely it shouldnt do that lol

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.