1 Month Cupra 300 4 Drive Review

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
So a quick review one month in to owning a Cupra 300 ST 4Drive.

Pros:
Very refined, comfortable and spacious. I am shocked at how well the car rides generally and to the sound level - quiet as a mouse for wind and roadnoise. I was expecting a lot worse!
Fast. Yes it is. But in a pinned to the back the seat way - no tire slip, no drama, just planted regardless of weather and road type.
Averaging 33mpg with a real mix of driving on a roads and city centre. I think this is great - a friends focus rs gets 23mpg even when driven softly.
Discreet - i haven't seen many about and it has got sleeper qualities to it - even if the red callipers give it away. Most people don't notice and i like that.
Rattles. Touch wood there are non. This would be a first for me having owned 5 VAG cars from new in a row. The Golf was the worst!

Cons:
Sound - i am disappointed that there really isn't much exhaust note. I disabled the sound actuator as it is crappy - yet apart from the DSG burp when flooring it there are little if no cracks or pops and very little exhaust note generally. A bit of turbo suck is nice and audible when giving it the beans, boosted by swapping to a pipercross filter. I would def consider modding the exhaust to improve the sound. If anyone has any non invasive hacks to sort some kind of note it would be much appreciated!
Small tank - 350miles fill to fill is all i can get without playing fuel station bingo. I know this is a VAG chassis thing and had the same problem with the Golf before and the Vrs before that.
Start/Stop - PITA. Just disable the bloody thing as a second movement after hitting the start button. It is too sensitive and ruins city driving / roundabout reaction times. At long lights it often starts back up which defeats the purpose.

Overall, very happy with the car and would recommend - we will see if this position weakens or strengthens after 12 months! :)

bega

Oct 13, 2016
Thank you for your clear and simple description how do you see the car.

Eggy

Jun 3, 2016
Estonia
Resonator delete will give you a bit more, but adding aftermarket mufflers makes a big difference specially with or wothout the resonator. It does introduse drone, but I will make some J pipes on mine to eliminate this after the exhaust developement has ended (Will try to make resonator bypass valve system). Current sound clip on my Cupra ST MT6. Also search for miltek exhaust, those should be without the drone catbacks.
My current setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T3hk8yj1Y4&feature=youtu.be

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Resonator delete will give you a bit more, but adding aftermarket mufflers makes a big difference specially with or wothout the resonator. It does introduse drone, but I will make some J pipes on mine to eliminate this after the exhaust developement has ended (Will try to make resonator bypass valve system). Current sound clip on my Cupra ST MT6. Also search for miltek exhaust, those should be without the drone catbacks.
My current setup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T3hk8yj1Y4&feature=youtu.be

That sounds a lot better!

Mine is a lease so i wouldn't want to do anything to substantial - is a resonator delete reversible?

Eggy

Jun 3, 2016
Estonia
Mine is a lease too, but...life is for living. Rebuilding the exhaust affects only exhausts warranty. My resonator delete is custom, but yes, it is reversible. The original resonator is cut off and replaced by pipe with clamps, bolt-on solution. Actuall all my mods on exhaust are currently clamp-on. Miltek and other exhaust should be the same.

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Mine is a lease too, but...life is for living. Rebuilding the exhaust affects only exhausts warranty. My resonator delete is custom, but yes, it is reversible. The original resonator is cut off and replaced by pipe with clamps, bolt-on solution. Actuall all my mods on exhaust are currently clamp-on. Miltek and other exhaust should be the same.

Thats good to know - i noticed in your thread that to you the resonator delete is too loud - especially with the drone in the cabin?

Perhaps its better to spend £500 on custom exhaust?

Eggy

Jun 3, 2016
Estonia
Well, resonator delete itself is not loud nor drony, combined it with Ultersport back mufflers it is loud. Now I have drowe with it about 3-4weeks and I love it, but true..it is not quiet setup. If you can get the custom exhaust spending 500 and you do not want to / have possibilities to build something yourself then it is definately better choice.

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I own a Cupra 420 (Originally a 280) FWD and have driven the Cupra ST 4WD a few times and will have one on my drive for a few days in 2 weeks again.

Only real advantage to the 4WD is the grip when launching. If I was buying a new Cupra now I'd buy the 4WD version for just that.

But the 4WD isn't as fun out on track.

Last edited:

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
I own a Cupra 420 (Originally a 280) FWD and have driven the Cupra ST 4WD a few times and will have one on my drive for a few days in 2 weeks again.

Only real advantage to the 4WD is the grip when launching. If I was buying a new Cupra now I'd buy the 4WD version for just that.

But the 4WD isn't as fun out on track.

Yes you are probably right - for me it is the convenience of not having to be a particularly great throttle master to give it the beans. I will only do one or two track days in the car anyway - my speed is mostly reserved for the autobahns and slip roads.

veno

Feb 9, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
www.bulforum.com
Just be careful with the Haldex 4WD, it kicks in the back, and in a turn if you are used to understeering of the FWD and not prepared, the car starts to oversteer and you can loose control. When you are used to it , it makes fun like drifting - if I can say that with the 184 diesel. With the CUPRA the drift sense should be more obvious. Me personally I would not buy again car with similar to Haldex 4WD. I prefer something permanently and predictable like in the Subaru. Though with the trend going, next time I have to purchase a new car this could be unavailable (For example Audi is also moving to electronic type differntial and replacing their Torsen quattro for the 6 cilynders engines).

NotSoSimple

Simple
Mar 3, 2017
Suffolk
Just be careful with the Haldex 4WD, it kicks in the back, and in a turn if you are used to understeering of the FWD and not prepared, the car starts to oversteer and you can loose control. When you are used to it , it makes fun like drifting - if I can say that with the 184 diesel. With the CUPRA the drift sense should be more obvious. Me personally I would not buy again car with similar to Haldex 4WD. I prefer something permanently and predictable like in the Subaru. Though with the trend going, next time I have to purchase a new car this could be unavailable (For example Audi is also moving to electronic type differntial and replacing their Torsen quattro for the 6 cilynders engines).

Thats interesting, i haven't really pushed the car - especially cornering but accelerating out of junctions on loose road surface it is really noticeable and you do feel the push from the rear - which is nice as there is nothing worse that spinning the front wheels on hard lock and the the tc kicks causing you to slowly move forward....

I am planning to take it onto a skid pan to experience the behaviour in a safe environment.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members