12v socket pre-wiring?

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
I've a need to put a 12v socket in the boot of my 2005 Altea TDI Sport. Searching has revealed it's easy enough to run a wire from the fusebox to the back, but I've noticed someone has mentioned that they had one in the boot of their XL.

Is it likely there is any hidden supply pre existing or is there a live feed I can tap into in the boot?

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
how about taking it off the socket in the back of the center arm rest ? it will have the right size fuse in the circuit already and its not to far to run the wire

& the back of the arm rest with the socket is pull off so that bit is easy

MM

Numpty

Thats odd, my 2005 TDI Sport has one in the boot.

Perhaps the wiring is there behind the inspection panel. I've added a photo to show the wires.
(First red arrow shows the feed has a big white lable on it, which goes to a flat socket clip to the metal frame (second red arrow) the 12v socket plugs into this).

79.JPG

Hopefully you can find the wiring, which will save you some time.

Happy hunting!

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
Hi Mac and Numpty.

Just had a look hoping for the easy pre-wire option and as far as I can tell, there's no obvious provision for the socket wiring. I've taken the side shelf off for a better look too.

I've removed the rear panel off the centre armrest and the power socket has a red/yellow wire to the centre terminal (brass colour) and a brown wire to one of the outer terminals (chrome colour) of the socket. There is a second, unused outer terminal which is brass coloured as per the centre one. Could that be where I can take a +ve feed from and route to another socket? I'm guessing that this is where power for in-armrest devices is taken from.

Numpty

Ok, thats a shame!

Here is an old picture of what my socket looks like in the back of the centre console, took these whilst doing another job, so can't remember if there is a pass through to the boot socket or not.
Hopefully it will help you compare with a car that has the socket?

74.JPG

holler, if you need a close up?

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
Hi Mac and Numpty.

Just had a look hoping for the easy pre-wire option and as far as I can tell, there's no obvious provision for the socket wiring. I've taken the side shelf off for a better look too.

I've removed the rear panel off the centre armrest and the power socket has a red/yellow wire to the centre terminal (brass colour) and a brown wire to one of the outer terminals (chrome colour) of the socket. There is a second, unused outer terminal which is brass coloured as per the centre one. Could that be where I can take a +ve feed from and route to another socket? I'm guessing that this is where power for in-armrest devices is taken from.

get a multi meter and check usually vw use brown as earth/ negative and the centre pin is i think positive on a lighter socket

i had the bulb panel off in the boot to and no sign of wires for a socket , just a huge spagboll of wires where the " factory fitted " reversing sensors and tow bar are plumbed into the stock wiring:confused: