170 v5 on 18s poor ride

harjv5

I have fitted my v5 with a set of 18'' bbs wheels from a TT
but the ride is v poor
although the wheels are balances they wobble, this is greater under acceleration and not as evident when cruising

also the grip isnt great, my standard wheels had budget tyres on them and i seem to have lost grip rather then gain it with the better quality tyres

also when the car is on full lock the whole tyre doesnt make contact with the ground

does anyone recognise these problems or is it just a case of having the camber and traking re aligned because of the bigger wheels?

putting pix on my profile as i cannot work out how to get em on here !!

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
was advised not to get Oz' in 18 cos the ride quality would be poor.....
many peeps on here run them tho.....

cant hurt to get the alligment checked.....but it shouldnt have moved unless you hit a kerb or something though. did you change your suspension too?
i had mine checked after suspension change and it was "apparently" well out

harjv5

to be honest the ride hasnt been great for a while but i put this down to running budget tyres
have a very very slight wobble on heavy breaking since ive had the car which is now a lot worse

think ill get it booked in for alignement

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
harjv5 said:
have a very very slight wobble on heavy breaking since ive had the car which is now a lot worse
that could be warped discs - fitting wider/bigger wheels will emphasise the judder a lot more

either that or the abs is cutting in [B)]

harjv5

yeah im pretty sure that its warped disks
but it wasnt an iussue on the standard 16's

harjv5

if i ask someone like kwick fit/ats to look at the wheel alignment will they do everything??
i know they do the tracking but will they look at the camber etc too??

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members