1st Gear clutch judder and high tickover (intermittent)

Sam fr

Aug 30, 2013
Stoke-On-Trent
Hi all

The other half has recently changed her car for a 55 plate Altea 1.9TDI, (105Bhp)

For the past few times I've drove the car we are getting clutch judder all the time pulling off in 1st but not in any other gears, I've also noticed a bit of smoke on start up but nothing after the initial start up? (I've always owned petrol's so diesels are new to me!)

second issue ive just noticed tonight is that the revs decided to stick at 1k on tickover, this never changed until you turn the ignition off then re start the car which then it might start doing it again, from roughly a 4 mile journey this happened and also kicked the radiator fan in, is there any common faults which can cause this or anything?

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

Dai_O

Jul 30, 2009
Cardiff
mine too judders in first, only when it is cold, give it a few miles to warm up and it is fine, nice and smooth no judders

sickofcars

Dec 28, 2016
Possibly indicate a broken spring in the clutch pressure plate. They are there to stop clutch judder!
The other defects could benefit from a full service with all the filters changed. With any car with a turbo clean oil is essential and if not changed regular then the turbo can develop wear and start leaking oil. You could remove the easiest pipe into the turbo to check to see if there is any oil in it, mist more than pool. How many miles on it and has it any service history? The fuel filter is another essential item to ensure is changed regular as the injectors need really clean fuel or they wear and cause all sorts of problems. Another filter that tends to be forgotten is the pollen filter. The fourth filter is the air filter.

Last edited:

buckshot

Dec 13, 2012
Lincolnshire
"For the past few times I've drove the car we are getting clutch judder all the time pulling off in 1st but not in any other gears,"

My Altea did the same, on investigation the cause was a worn gearbox mount.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members