2.0 TFSI spark plug and cambelt change intervals

Grezza

Apologies if this information is in an obvious place elsewhere but I couldn't find it.

I have a 2007 Cupra which is nearly 4 years old and has done 32,500.

My handbook seems to suggest that the plugs on a 2.0 TFSI (which seems to be a longer interval than the regularo engines) need changing at 90,000km (which I reckon is 56,000m) and the cambelt needs doing at 90,000km on all petrol engines.

I have been told a couple of times by the same dealer that the cambelt needs doing at 4 years (or a mileage which I have since forgotten) and was also called by the dealer with whom I arranged the service and cambelt change to be told that because my car was a Cupra, the plugs would need changing which would cost around £120.

Am I following my manual completely incorrectly and is the dealer correct?

Thanks to anyone who can assist.

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Timing belt is 4 years or 60000 miles whichever comes first and from memory I thought plugs were 40000 miles.
Pretty sure plugs can be bought for £35 and fitted in 10 minutes so £120 seems very expensive.
Plugs are a DIY job anyway.
Kev

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
The manual for the A3 states 115,000 miles for the TFSI, but then on the Audi website they recommend 5 years or 75,000 miles for all 2.0 petrol and diesel engines

:confused:

Last edited:

Tombstoneuk

Mar 5, 2010
Loughborough
Cambelt is definitely 4 years or 60k miles. I would do it when its time as the penalty for your cambelt/tensioner going is death for your engine.

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Its a pretty grey area with different manufactures and dealers saying different things.

Personaly i would just get it done and £120 for plugs and fitting is a :censored: joke, tell them where to go :cartman:

Im guessing judging by the price to get plugs fitted there gonna have your pants down for fitting the cambelt aswell. I wouldnt pay more than £350 for cambelt change fitted at a dealers infact VW dealers were doing them for £250 at one point and thats how much i payed.

ste-lfc

Jul 7, 2005
cheshire
I got my cambelt done a few months early as the tensioner was squeeking,cost £330 with new water pump.......Just had 4 year service including plugs done for £125.The cam lobe was checked and needed changing too, be sure to get yours checked.....

Grezza

Cheers folks. Getting a bit of work done at once, the cambelt change is £360 odd.

From what I can tell I could source the plugs myself for about £40 but that's about what SEAT are charging for the plugs alone. I've read a couple of threads on here about spark plug changes and it seems to be completely different to when I used to do them on my old Fords. If I don't use the correct laser-guided torque wrench then the car will definitely turn into a fireball and crash into a busload of nuns...

Noel<>leoN

Oct 5, 2007
My dealer tried to push me into getting the cambelt done at 4 years (30k miles), but that's not what my handbook says. I rang up Seat UK and they confirmed it didn't need doing yet- their answer matched the handbook.

I do have a warranty though- if the whole engine blows up it is covered.

Grezza

Cos I'm new I can't post a link but if you go to the SEAT UK website and look at

SEAT Service

Network services

Cambelt replacement

it suggests that 4 years is correct for the cambelt.

Still not sure why the manual says different nor why it would cost £80 to fit spark plugs.

Maximus2000uk

My car is going in for its 4 year service on Tuesday despite the fact that I've only done 25,000 miles.

Interestingly, there is a sticker in the car (put there by M1 Autos when they did the 3 year service) which states the Cambelt needs to be changed later this year.

M

Grezza

After phoning around a few SEAT dealers in my area, the best price I can get so far is £27.25 + VAT for fitting in Windsor. Dunno the price of the plugs there (should be about £40) but as it constitutes a saving of around £50, I'm willing to ferry the plugs to them if needed.

BTW, other prices in the area hovered around the £120 mark with the highest being just shy of £140!!!

Apparently it's so high because themselves have to actually replace the actual plugs for yourself and to do that they actually have to remove the actual engine cover for yourself.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.