2.0TDI 150 remap? How is economy affected?

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
As per title, wondering what effect remapping the 2.0TDI 150 (with DSG) has? Anyone remapped this engine?
Only reason I ask is that on both my old 1.9PD Octavia, and my 1.6TDI Leon (both stage 1 from 105 to 140HP), there was a significant improvement in fuel economy, and wondering how the 2.0TDI copes.
Many thanks

CalJames

Modification Addict
Jun 25, 2019
North Wales
My cousin has a Golf 2.0 150 and has had it mapped, his fuel economy is insanely good. I drove it once for about 35 miles on 60 roads and had about 58/59mpg.
Could probably squeeze a bit more with some gentle driving.

For reference we've got a 2.,0 184 that's mapped and the fuel economy is slightly worse than the golf

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
My cousin has a Golf 2.0 150 and has had it mapped, his fuel economy is insanely good. I drove it once for about 35 miles on 60 roads and had about 58/59mpg.
Could probably squeeze a bit more with some gentle driving.

For reference we've got a 2.,0 184 that's mapped and the fuel economy is slightly worse than the golf
Thanks, appreciate your reply. It's good as it is, easily getting close to 70 mpg when driven easy on a decent run. Amazed as its already better by a good margin than the 1.6TDI manual Leon I had previously, despite it being automatic DSG. The missus is saying no to a remap, says 150 standard is already more than the 140 mapped 1.6, and 195 would be totally unnecessary 😊😂😂. I just want to convince her of fuel savings if it is remapped

Last edited:

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
In my humble, I don't think you will see any meaningful MPG improvements with a re-map - unless you have some sort of VW emissions fix software which may have been on your old 1.6?
I'm in a similar 'boat' with my 184. If a remap would give some MPG improvements I could justify it to myself - but at the moment I just don't think that would be the case - I certainly wouldn't do it for performance alone for this commuter/family car - not sure I have ever thought it could do with more performance!

Maybe you can find a company - who would 'honor' their claim of reduced MPG with money back if it doesn't?

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
In my humble, I don't think you will see any meaningful MPG improvements with a re-map - unless you have some sort of VW emissions fix software which may have been on your old 1.6?
I'm in a similar 'boat' with my 184. If a remap would give some MPG improvements I could justify it to myself - but at the moment I just don't think that would be the case - I certainly wouldn't do it for performance alone for this commuter/family car - not sure I have ever thought it could do with more performance!

Maybe you can find a company - who would 'honor' their claim of reduced MPG with money back if it doesn't?
My 1.6 wasn't one that was affected by the emissions recall. Problem with a lot of the remap companies that offer a money back guarantee is that the maps are known not to be the best. If I remapped at all, it would be with one of the better known companies

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I asked a colleague at work who has a 2018 Passat 150tdi DSG which he has remapped.
Unfortunately he didn't take note of the MPG before remap, but after remap is averaging 55mpg at 70MPH which is his daily drive to work. On a drive to Northampton a few weeks ago, kept the speed to 64mph over 50 mile distance and averaged 67mpg - which are about 5mpg better than the mpg averages for that car on honest john real MPG.

I guess you could argue, if you do more start/stop type driving - a remap, which has increased low rpm torque might let you use a higher gear which may help a little with efficiency, which may have been even more beneficial to your low torque 1.6?

Reactions: LeylandVCDS

LeylandVCDS

Apr 20, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
I asked a colleague at work who has a 2018 Passat 150tdi DSG which he has remapped.
Unfortunately he didn't take note of the MPG before remap, but after remap is averaging 55mpg at 70MPH which is his daily drive to work. On a drive to Northampton a few weeks ago, kept the speed to 64mph over 50 mile distance and averaged 67mpg - which are about 5mpg better than the mpg averages for that car on honest john real MPG.

I guess you could argue, if you do more start/stop type driving - a remap, which has increased low rpm torque might let you use a higher gear which may help a little with efficiency, which may have been even more beneficial to your low torque 1.6?
Thanks, this is a DSG, so gearing isn't an issue

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Just noticed this statement from a REVO remap:

"Depending on your driving style, this software will deliver like for like fuel economy in 'normal' driving conditions."

Reactions: LeylandVCDS
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.