2003 Leon Cupra R

Cupra_R

Sep 18, 2014
Hi Everyone

We picked this up there in May this year. 2003 Seat Leon Cupra R 1.8 20VT. Loving it so far.. Great car to drive. Doesn't hang about either..

What we done so far
2 front tires = Done (Firestone Fire Hawk sz90)
Genuine Timing Belt water pump, tensioner, damper. = Done Got this done last week in P&R VW in Newry
Health Check on the Dyno at TDR Performance to make sure everything is running as it should
Removed the cracked wrap from the roof
Got the Scuff Polished out of the passenger door

2003 Seat Leon Cupra R (210)

As Standard;
Brembo 4 Pot Brakes
Electric Comfort Windows
Heated Electric Folding Wing Mirrors
Full Climate Control
Air Conditioning
Remote Central Locking With Anti-Theft Alarm
6 Disc CD Changer in Glovebox
Cupra R Bucket Seats with Recaro Black Cloth Interior

Performance;
Badger5 TIP (Turbo Intake Pipe)
Bosch MAF
Toyosport 600mm Front Mount Intercooler (Wellycooler)
Forge 007p Re-Circulation Valve
Custom Code stage1 Remap
N249 Bypass
K & N 57i Induction Kit
Full Piper Non Res Exhaust system with Relentless Downpipe and 200 Cells Sports Cat
Forge Short Shifter

Interior;
Audi A3 8L Centre Armrest with Matching Cupra Cloth
Depo 60mm Boost Gauge with Digital Reading
Depo 60mm Oil Temperature Gauge with Digital Reading
Cupra R Bucket Seats with Adjustable Headrests
LED Courtesy Door Lights

Exterior;
Skoda Fabia Rear Wiper Arm Conversion
Custom Heat Shield
De-Badged Boot
Black 'R' Badges
Carbon R Centre Caps
6k HIDS
LED Rear Number Plate Bulbs
OSRAM Diadem Front Indicator Bulbs (Look Blue, Flash Amber)
OSRAM Silvertec Rear Indicator Bulbs (Look Silver, Flash Orange)
Rear tinted windows
Carbon R32 Tyre Valve Caps
Carbon Wrapped Roof
Carbon Wrapped Rear Spoiler
Carbon B Pillars
Carbon Wrapped Front S Badge
Carbon Wrapped Front Badge Surround
Carbon Wrapped Front Grill
Carbon Wrapped Custom Front Reg Plate

Handling;
Weitech Hicon GT Coilovers (Fully Adjustable)
Brembo 4 Pot Brakes With EBC Discs & Ferodo Pads
20mm Rear Spacers (Gives Car Better Stance)
Anthracite Powder Coated 18” OEM Alloys
Polybushed Dog Bone Mount (Helps the car keep traction)

This was it when we bought it..

First thing was 2 new front tires as the old ones had it.. So we went for Firestone Firehawk SZ90

Next thing was the roof was carbon wrapped.. But the vinyl all cracked to bits on the car... absolute nightmare :wallbash)

So an evening spent with a heat gun and a plastic filler scraper finally got it all off (The Girlfriend done the most of it) but sssssssssh....lol

Here's a few pics i took of the car yesterday (excuse the roof.. haven't had time to get all the glue off the roof.. removing the wrap took a few hours on its own.. any recommendations? Going to tackle and polish it tomorrow or Sat

Here's a pic of it getting a health check yesterday with Joe Power @ TDR Performance bt:)

Thanks for Reading bt:)

Cupra_R

Sep 18, 2014
Firstly needed to get the coilovers raised up slightly.. It was really annoying me having to avoid roads with ramps and hearing the splitter scuff ramps / pulling out onto dips on the road etc. Couldn't enjoy the car at all

Got the front end sprayed, Front bumper / bonnet tops of the wings and the door handles.. It was done by Morgan Autobody Repairs Ardee.. Cant recommend this man enough.. Top class job! Also spacers are removed here too

Door Handles and Wing Mirror Covers :D

So next thing was after the coilovers getting raised the alignment and toe was all over the place. the steering very vague. So removed the rear spacers and got new wheel nuts and tracking/ alignment done. Handles far better now. different car to drive :D

Here's the End result..

All opinions welcome bt:)

Cupra_R

Sep 18, 2014
Cheers Lads.. Yea i agree daniel.. the car has a better stance with spacers in. but it hndles and drives so much better without them

Current parts i have to be fitted
Oil and Filter (genuine)
Genuine Rocker cover gasket
New Splitter (genuine)
Clutch and Flywheel (Not yet purchased)

I'm doing as much research as i can regarding the clutch.. Some nice performance clutches on Ebay but im weary paying big money on ebay.... So think i will just buy genuine LUK DMF and 3 piece clutch kit on euro car parts..

.liam.

Apr 20, 2014
Northumberland
Looks lovely. I have spacers all round on mine and felt the it improved both looks and handling though.. strange you find it better without.
Stunning car with or without really though :)

Cupra_R

Sep 18, 2014
Cheers for the comments guys..... Ordered the clutch and flywheel today... got them through a mate for £350 so not bad..

Sometimes i find a slight grind between 2nd and third gear while on boost.. Is this a common fault?

Also can anyone please tell m what gearbox oil is best.. ?

Cupra_R

Sep 18, 2014
the map that was on it was pure crap.. hence why its off it.. lol It's getting a proper live map done with joe now soon

Adjay

Sep 5, 2011
Donegal,ireland
Ye it was the same with my car the previous map was done by previous owner and was a generic map crap so Joe did a great job doing a custom map.

Cupra_R

Sep 18, 2014
QuIck update on this.. Got my Clutch and Flywheel today... :D Cant wait to get them fitted now...

Can anyone recommend what gearbox oil is best.? Also am i right in using 5w40 Fully Syn Engine oil..

Cheers in advance...

Nice Adjay... Did you rebuild your engine with forged rods etc?

Cupra_R

Sep 18, 2014
Slight Update:D

New LUK Dual mass flywheel
New LUK Clutch
Castrol Edge 5w40 Fully Syn
Ngk Laser Platinum spark plugs
Genuine Seat Oil filter
Fuchs Titan Sintofluid 75w gearbox Oil

Last edited:

Cupra_R

Sep 18, 2014
Cheers Goldie.... When i bought it it did need work.. but slowly but surely i'm getting there....Can anyone tell me how strong the AMK engine is? whats the max power torque on standard internals?

Cheers

Cupra_R

Sep 18, 2014
So got all this work done.. the car feels so much better.. clutch is light the car goes very well. Also took off the sump / oil pick up nd thoroughly cleaned them out for piece of mind.. next thing is to get it mapped now.. :)

Can anyone tell me How strong the AMK engine is? i read on the site here that myleon has a forged crank and pistons fromthe factory but standard rods? Is this true?
anyone tell me whats a good turbo upgrade? How i would go about it? I was onto turbo dynamics etc. they all seem to be about 12 - 1500 pounds and rated only 300bhp.. i wouldnt pay 1600 - 2000 euros for that..
Also can

Cheers in Advance..

Last edited:

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
As you've found, the crank and the pistons are forged but rods are sintered and supposedly someone said same part no as mk2 golf 2 litre rods
Ideally if funds allow forged rods are good future proofing and a safety net too
As far as turbos go, are you wanting to stay on a k04 frame? a big turbo can run lower boost etc so less strain but the bigger housing requires new mani, downpipe mods etc
Car will definitely handle better now you've raised it but also being 11 years old if the bushes are original will be tired so might be worth a refresh or poly of these and theyre not expensive parts either
Hope that helps