2006 Seat Leon FR TDI - Slow Acceleration Under 2K Revs & Other Issues - Please Help!

ak104956

Oct 6, 2016
Hi,

I am having some issues with my car, a 2006 Seat Leon FR TDI

I am hoping you guys will be able to give me some advice on what I'm experiencing and whether it's the same on other Leon FR's or not...

so...

Number 1:
I get vibration when setting off in first gear and reverse gear, if I rev really high before setting off then there's no vibration

Number 2:
The car seems to be stalling quite a bit when setting off in first gear unless i rev quite a bit before lifting clutch - never had to do in other cars that I've driven before, I have previously owned a 2002 Seat Leon mk1 TDI which I also had remapped and driven a few other diesels too (VW Golfs, Bora etc) so I have plenty of experience driving diesel cars and not faced this problem before

Number 3:
The biting point on the cluth is quite high up through the clutch release movement - I prefer when the clutch bites straight away, not at the top of motion.
Having the biting point at the bottom makes driving more fun and efficient as it's quicker to set off and change gears to reach higher speeds faster and just feels better overall, this is how my other Leon was too, biting as soon as I'd lift the clutch

Number 4:
I experience quite slow acceleration between 0-2000 revs, above 2k revs all the power seems to kick in and it pulls nicely but when it's below 2k revs, feels a bit laggy, even with my foot fully on the accelerator/gas, all the power only kicks in when it's gone above 2k revs.
I'm not sure if this is just me expecting a car that's supposed to be around 215bhp (accordding to Jamie Kilner of K-tune when he remapped it) to feel a lot quicker or if it's normal for it to be like this (all the cars I've driven before were 140bhp or less)

Notes:
The car was remapped by K-tune (Jamie Kilner)
I've recently changed the fuel filter, oil filter, engine oil and air filter
I have tried unplugging the MAF sensor to see if it made any difference to the drive - it didn't

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated as I love the car but with the issues I have been considering getting rid of it, although I'd definitely keep it if they were sorted out,

For me, the main issues are the slow acceleration under 2k revs and the stalling

Thanks

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
My initial reaction would be sounds like your clutch and/or DMF need replacing.

I had juddering pulling away in 1st when I first got my 1.6TDI which was diagnosed as DMF, luckily I had my clutch and DMF replaced under warranty and it was fine afterwards.

With it being re-mapped I guess that could further point to clutch as it will obviously put more strain on it.

Maybe the slow acceleration is actually clutch slipping?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ak104956

Oct 6, 2016
My initial reaction would be sounds like your clutch and/or DMF need replacing.

I had juddering pulling away in 1st when I first got my 1.6TDI which was diagnosed as DMF, luckily I had my clutch and DMF replaced under warranty and it was fine afterwards.

With it being re-mapped I guess that could further point to clutch as it will obviously put more strain on it.

Maybe the slow acceleration is actually clutch slipping?

I also get vibration when lifting the clutch in 2nd gear sometimes - not always though

The clutch is definitely not slipping when I'm accelerating, it just feels like its waiting for revs to reach a certain point before power comes through but I've had the clutch slip before and what happens is the rev meter shoots up, you hear the engine rev loud but the car doesn't accelerate any faster than the speed you were travelling before you applied gas - this doesn't happen when I'm trying to accelerate...

If I wanted the clutch looking at so a mechanic can tell me whether it needs changing or not - is this a big/expensive job for the garage? or is it pretty simple to check?
Also same question regarding the dual mass flywheel?

I have been told that diesel cars always have a lag at low revs - is this the correct?

CRNeo

Feb 5, 2016
Liverpool
I get a fair amount of lag before the turbo kicks in on my 1.6 but then you mention your car has been re-mapped so I'd expect with a good map some of that lag should be dialed out and would be minimal. If you had to change the DMF I'd always change clutch with it tbh. A decent mechanic should be able to give a good guess at diagnosis if they take it for a drive I would have thought.

When I went out with Seat in mine and it was juddering when pulling away they went out with me and the guy just said yeah that the DMF and just swapped it out with the clutch also.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.