2007 Ibiza FR by HMS

hubbly_bubbly

[center][img]http://i374.
Aug 18, 2008
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi Club,

The VAG history continues in the form of a Magico Black 2007 Ibiza FR...

2008 Seat Leon Cupra (Sold and then written off)
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra (written off)
2007 Seat Leon FR (sold)
2004 Audi RS6 (sold)
2007 VW Touran
2007 Seat Ibiza FR

She is stock standard, only sporting a decat for now. Mileage when bought was 226,000km. Being 10 years old and decent miles under the tyres there are some issues on the body, wear and tear that needs some maintenance and TLC. That will be the first order of business to get her driving right before making progress into the already lengthy mod list. No one can quote me saying this one ill leave stock

3quOwGK.jpg

172fmrk.jpg

Maintenance:

-Fit new gearbox mounts
-Major service
-Dent repairs

Performance:

-Software
-FMIC
-Downpipe and full exhaust
-GTB22 Turbo
-HMS CAI
-312 Brakes and Pads
-Braided Brake Lines and Uprated Fluid

Exterior:

-18" Wheels
-FK Coilovers (Purchased)
-Splitter
-Spoiler
-Diffuser
-Side Skirts
-Paint Calipers
-Xenon Headlight Retrofit (Purchased)
-Tail Light Restoration

Interior:

-New Pedals (Purchased)
-New Gear Knob and Boot (Purchased)
-Full LED lighting (Purchased)
-Boost and Oil Temp Gauges (Purchased)
-Tablet Install
-Moulded Sub Enclosure

List will grow as time goes by. The plan is to have the car prepped to take part in the Michelin Cup 2018.

Pedals upgraded

y1UR41n.jpg

662Px5x.jpg

Major service done and new gearbox mount fitted

KzTVMoQ.jpg

OUcsJPb.jpg

Old wornout gearknob

eul9ZY2.jpg

Removed

Rz0g8Zu.jpg

New boot

9fY1YV1.jpg

New knob

8crdxuW.jpg

One of the first mods I picked up was a new set of FK Coilovers for a really good deal. Being a high mileage car the suspension was going to need an overhaul so why not upgrade :)

Also took the opportunity to paint the calipers red.

Rears

ow618GW.jpg

aucxlb6.jpg

Fronts:

JAJqzH0.jpg

AVFwX2d.jpg

I havent set them at the lowest because I use the car as a daily, im really happy with the ride height and the comfort level. The FKs really are great quality for the price.

IMDjFA1.jpg

The drivers seat was torn on the upper bolster and the passenger seat also showing signs of wear. I contemplated reupholstering them but decided to replace them with some Recaros instead.

2013 Focus ST3 Seats before:

DDanPyY.jpg

Drivers seat was torn due to popped airbag, so the top covers were removed to be repaired and relabeled

ztTXy8q.jpg

UH3s1Hh.jpg

The fitment in the Ford is pretty strange with brackets coming off the rails in all sorts of directions. I cut them off and measured up the standard rails to make adapter plates for fitment into the VAG.

Adapter plates being cut:

KcrKJRcm.jpg

Test fit in the car with passenger seat removed

b631HcEl.jpg

Test fit on the rails (brackets had already been removed)

g28Ldwwl.jpg

There was alot of back and forward to get the adapters fitting as required

GxriA1Xl.jpg

Redressed the seats with the new FR logos (my aunt did the work for me and they came out perfectly)

yx05LlFl.jpg

Final fitment

zIaH8itl.jpg

KeleWlWl.jpg

#FRecaroSelfie

UrxZQ7wl.jpg

Being electric I had planned to hook up the power for the seat adjusters to the ciggie lighter. Turns out those wires in my car are dead (not a fuse issue as far as I could work out). Ill find an alternate power source to make the connection as currently I have a small battery under the seats for the adjustments :rofl: I will also research the heaters and how to connect them correctly (winter and leather seats dont mix).

As for the comparison to the stock seats, these are just spectacular. They are comfortable but hold you firmly in place.

Gideon aka GaVeN aka 74-4 got hold of my engine cover and instrument cluster cover for some custom paintwork.

Im blown away at the quality and attention to detail. He also sprayed the engine cover for the Touran.

TTE3eyHl.jpg

2RQpLICl.jpg

sDPrqLxl.jpg

Cluster cover got united grey rings with gloss black fascia

1JPGMLrl.jpg

VT6dxXxl.jpg

Custom boost gauge and HMS vent pod fitted. Gauge is VWR spec with blue needle and white digits. Waited a while for the gauge install as I had a race pipe on order that has the boost tap fitting. With the race pipe arrival got to have the gauge connected.

BkZbr3Sl.jpg

IR9qmahl.jpg

1SgOcmXl.jpg

Race pipe installed (with boost tap fitting)

pQLDHnsl.jpg

WwczUJ1l.jpg

Gauge is reading a healthy 1.4bar which is spot on for stock 96kw turbo.

Not too keen on the cluster lighting in the 6L, it definitely gives away the age of the car. As I did in our IC I did a little LED lighting upgrade but this time with a twist.

Orange on Red (Before)

8Wpdr5Kl.jpg

Cluster stripped and covers removed. Important to note the resting position of the needles.

nOlO9BTl.jpg

All orange and red LEDs changed to white and needle lighting to blue

eqOYbQSl.jpg

Test in the car before reassembly

d7s40Xil.jpg

MJ41Oqwl.jpg

Cluster reassembled (with fresh paint work)

JqK6dsFl.jpg

iNmkwtOl.jpg

Cluster colour coded to match boost gauge lighting

ET8vnTwl.jpg

hubbly_bubbly

Aug 18, 2008
I do like the stock 17s but dont love them so I bought some 18" A-Line Nitros for a really good price.

Found out too late that the wheels are infact 5x108 and not 5x100 as per the casting numbers on the insides. I suspect the centre bore was incorrectly machined on the set and they opened the PCD to suit.

I was peeved but not deterred. Easy peazy just make some wheel adapters :p I designed some 5x100 to 5x110 adapters, fabricated them and sourced the necessary fixtures. Big Boss Auto helped by supplying the wobble bolts that would allow fitment of the 5x108 to the 5x110. I chose this PCD and wobble nut setup to allow me to go to 5x112 wheels in the future. 5x100PCD is really limited in range when it comes to 18" whereas 5x112 has an endless variety.

Wheel test fit:

TkPEJLsl.jpg

Alu stock:

ppTWXgbl.jpg

Wobble Nuts:

o93bWLql.jpg

Machined:

4oUg3BJl.jpg

Adapters fitted with custom spigot rings:

rsdllKal.jpg

UpkQtNPl.jpg

Wheels fitted:

TytQhl1l.jpg

ivZiR93l.jpg

cIemGqul.jpg

bfaEpuOl.jpg

Kj1AGDtl.jpg

9HZxX85l.jpg

wdXEEuRl.jpg

fZ1rTXDl.jpg

Im not one for different wheel colours, I prefer hypersilver wheels (boring I know), so I will see how these white ones fair as keeping them clean is going to be a regular task.

Got to run the car at The Blackout dyno day this weekend.

Car is stock other than a decat on the stock exhaust system.

The consensus was the dyno reading a bit lower than KAR would (15-20kw). So im very happy with the stock figures of 74.4kW and 262Nm

6Px5LPRl.jpg

OdcbDs3l.jpg

(id love to claim the figures on the screen)

gmbB767l.jpg

Now I can go ahead getting a 1 infront of the power and exchanging the first 2 for a 5 on the torque...

Thanks to Chris from RetrofittersKZN for hooking me up with a set of bonnet gas struts. His kits are excellent quality and come with instructions (the pics dont even have his feet in slops in the background)

0RboGQpl.jpg

nLt7aD1l.jpg

Some pics from our Seat-Sport car wash meet up.

Thanks and credit to ChrisP for the awesome photos

JFxyZ7ql.jpg

1YJ5zeDl.jpg

QiaHvZ6l.jpg

8i4FHLTl.jpg

2sgvZXyl.jpg

zwAHcEel.jpg

These have made me realize the front needs to go down a little :) Just need to make some clearance in the arches...

Some PDR for the old girl...

sVaf4pCl.jpg

As the not so subtle hints show I had the car wrapped by Dietermk4 @chameleon wrap&shine

Here are the progress pics and final outcome. The idea being to wrap everything below window line in white and retain oem magico black above aka two tone ala Audi A1, Opel Adam, Range Rover etc

The mirrors were wrapped gloss black from silver

Throughout the process Dieter was in contact to make sure each component was done to requirement. Here we were deciding what to do with the bump strips.

The outcome is exactly what I wanted for the two tone look. The pure white of the wrap has caused the wheels to look cream in colour so they will be going in for a colour change soon.

Further prep towards MC18

FMIC with logo still to be plumbed

pKB6DmBl.jpg

Bridgestone 17" semi slicks and G7 rep race wheels

Take2 on brakes sees slotted and treated VARI discs with greenstuff EBC pads. I will be upgrading to braided lines and uprated fluid as well.

Not a fan of the single tone hooter so bought a Fiamm dual tone kit and installed with relay.

Now if people dont see me coming they will atleast hear me.

0B0sSYpl.jpg

One of the biggest irks I had when I bought the car was the condition of the headlight lenses. They needed some work so I took the festive to get the lenses polished and some upgrades fitted.

-Projector Units
-LED DRLs
-Polish Lenses

On New Years day I had a special roast in the oven (this image shows just how bad the lenses were)

kiyaRSyl.jpg

After much TLC the lenses were off (there was a massive difference between the effort required to open each light, the amount of sealant was less in one than the other)

qDPnf79l.jpg

I was in two minds whether to fit the projector units in the dipped reflector or the brights, I ended up fitting them to the brights (inner reflectors)

xxH6MNDl.jpg

2OoAXwrl.jpg

z3DALNvl.jpg

While I worked on the projector fitment the lenses were sent off to dirtylenscamp with Gideon from 74-4 tuning. I was super stoked with the outcome.

Before:

hLZSn1ql.jpg

After:

WbB8gEUl.jpg

With the lenses polished, laminxd and back home, I then fitted my LED DRL tubes. These are the sequential switchback type that light up white with park setting and then switch to amber for indicator.

DRL:

zCNHQ3Tl.jpg

Indicator:

QNEyKH3l.jpg

The lights were then reassembled and wiring connected to the factory harness

4reggWtl.jpg

Testing before fitment

OxjhZVll.jpg

t0yAoSEl.jpg

Lenses were then glued using high performance black silicone and taped together and left to cure overnight

lEJdihol.jpg

Result(Day)
Intercooler now fitted making full use of the airflow into the lower grille
9JG0x4vl.jpg

9CfitAvl.jpg

LV80rBZl.jpg

(Night) I need to take some better pictures to show the lights at night.

aJguU0Ll.jpg

qAx0JKGl.jpg

ucrt014l.jpg

GaYMF0Al.jpg

Running Indicator Vids

https://youtu.be/RkI-cf3HeTw

https://youtu.be/yH1YF6n1_9c

hubbly_bubbly

Aug 18, 2008
hubbly_bubbly said:
The car is making some great progress today towards MC18. It has gone to Motronix East Rand for custom boost pipes and software.

MC18 first event is next weekend, the dyno day. I am cutting it close but should be ready by early next week.

Charge pipe upgrades:

iR740fzl.jpg

IKdLfwKl.jpg

TDajNpbl.jpg

9cCOtI0l.jpg

pWxOP01l.jpg

Ig5XIFfl.jpg

Im so impressed with the quality of the work done by Wesley and his team at Motronix East Rand. With consecutive runs on the dyno the following evening during tuning the power and torque curves remained identical showing how well the cooling system was working. This is exactly what I needed from the system going forward to the track events for the Cup. Consistent and reliable power.

hubbly_bubbly

Aug 18, 2008
Once the intercooler was plumbed we ran on the dyno at MPH before the Michelin Cup Dyno Day. The car made 86kw and 260Nm before and after mapping ran 101kw and 330Nm. Wesley took the results back to HQ and worked with Mo on a revised map which we loaded the Friday afternoon.

PTJLSXal.jpg

PLiVMRfl.jpg

I was concerned the boost was coming in slightly too late (I had some expertise TDI help while at MPH doing our initial test runs). I swapped out all the old VAC lines for new lines Friday evening.

Old VAC lines

nV7R422l.jpg

Saturday morning made our way to HM Auto for the MC18 dyno day.

sBRCpqCl.jpg

XR3adF5l.jpg

The committee decided it was appropriate to label my dyno graph appropriately

LAk1Hc7l.jpg

I was really happy with the results of 102kw and 403Nm (the increased torque is a combination of the revised map as well as having run the car in 4th on the dyno). The initial classing for the cup had Class A as Sub 120kw and I wanted to work towards that limit over the next few weeks but subsequently the Cup admin have revised the classing and Class A is now Sub 100kw (of which I have been placed into based on other determining factors). The score for the dyno is calculated from the total of power and torque which made me the winner of the dyno event, securing 22 points towards the Cup results. Its going to be a tough year with some great competition but im going to do my best to keep the TDI on top :)

tygers

Jan 31, 2018
Thinking about getting this car for my brother who is about to go to university. Can anyone give me an estimation how much is this when bough second hand?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.