2009 1.4 SE down on power / Limp Mode?

brandscill

Sep 29, 2016
Hi,

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Recently my Ibiza has seemed down on power, but still drivable, just not as good as it once was. This was until today where it was massively down on power to the point I couldn't get up a hill.

In first gear, it just wouldn't rev any more, and it got to the point where it just died. At the same time, before the engine died, the break became rock hard to the point it wouldn't move and engage, so I had to use the hand break to stop the car.

I reversed back and parked using the motion from the hill and left the car for a bit as I had to attend an appointment.

When I returned to the car it was fine, in fact it felt like it had more power than its had in ages and I flew up the hill and back home, by the time I neared home again car felt down on power.

Popped bonet, checked the obvious (fluids) and all was fine. Started the car and when I try to rev the engine seems to cap it around 3000-3500 rpm. It then, stays there for several seconds and will slowly rise to just under 4000 but no more.

When the car stops it at 3000-3500 there is an audible moment where it seems like its stopping it going any further. It seems indicative of limp mode by I have no engine management light or error codes to give a clue as to why it would be doing it?

So - any bright ideas? Any suggestions on where to take it in the Brighton and Hove area?

Any advise is much appreciated.

Brandon

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
The part about notdoing more than 4000rpm while stationary is normal.
Its a safety measure.

brandscill

Sep 29, 2016
Thanks.

I took it to a garage yesterday and they think it's the cat causing the issue.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Not related but might I ask....

I have a 1.4 85HP.

You have a mileage similar to mine, do you have a manual gearbox?
Did you change the oil already?
Mine is manual and never changed it.

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
Not related but might I ask....

I have a 1.4 85HP.

You have a mileage similar to mine, do you have a manual gearbox?
Did you change the oil already?
Mine is manual and never changed it.

DSG, had the oil done at 60k

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise