2010 FR 2.0 TSI 208bhp - brakes?

redcupra07

Nov 11, 2013
Guildford GU1
Hi all,

I've got a 2010 Leon FR 2.0 TSI which needs new pads + discs on the rear.

Is there anyone on here I can give my reg or VIN to check on ETKA what size discs my car had from factory please?

It's been a few years since I've used this site (previously had a Cupra) and used to just ask Dave at Sere but I don't think he's on here anymore.

Thanks in advance

P.S, I've tried both of the following:

I've checked the spare tyre well/service manual but there is no PR code for the brakes.

I've tried looking at this thread but it doesnt cover my specific Leon (just the earlier TFSI FR): https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/th...es-and-maintanance.192247/page-9#post-4963934

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull
i'd just measure the disc diameter with a tape measure, there is an obvious difference in sizes of possible rear discs so it is easy to eyeball the measurement without even taking the wheel off, and then compare it to the available options on ECP where you can put your reg in to give usually just two possible brake combinations. you're likely to have either 253mm or 282mm solid rear discs, unless of course you have those never seen before and what would be alarmingly thin 286mmx12mm vented rear discs which i personally think are mythical.

Reactions: redcupra07

redcupra07

Nov 11, 2013
Guildford GU1
i'd just measure the disc diameter with a tape measure, there is an obvious difference in sizes of possible rear discs so it is easy to eyeball the measurement without even taking the wheel off, and then compare it to the available options on ECP where you can put your reg in to give usually just two possible brake combinations. you're likely to have either 253mm or 282mm solid rear discs, unless of course you have those never seen before and what would be alarmingly thin 286mmx12mm vented rear discs which i personally think are mythical.

Cheers for that.

I know I can measure what's currently on there but the car is 11 years old and has had the pads and discs replaced all round at some point prior to my ownership (13 months) so I can't guarantee what's currently on there is "correct" (i.e. same size as was supplied new).
The rear discs appear to be 255mm but I can see the rear pad part numbers are for 272mm discs. The front discs seem to be 288mm but I would have expected them to be 312mm from new.

Call me OCD but I just want to ensure that when I replace them this time round, it'll be with the original size intended if that makes sense!

I will just call up a couple of Seat parts departments sometime this week for the info I need.

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull
The fronts should be 312mm AFAIK, someone has possibly cheaped out there. The issue with relying on pad part numbers is the pads are actually the same across a number models and even manufacturers as Lucas/TRW/whoever make a caliper then Citroën, or VAG, or whoever install it on their car by moving the mounting points on hub axle carrier. My last set of Brembo rear pads were marked up for about 20 different car models across multiple manufacturers. The 253mm rear disc has a really unique shaped and large lipped stone shield behind which will only accommodate a 253mm disc inside, what caliper is on the rear?

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
I think you're just being a bit paranoid. You'll have the 312mm discs up front and 272mm at the rear.

If smaller size discs had been fitted it would be obvious as the pads would be overhanging the discs.

redcupra07

Nov 11, 2013
Guildford GU1
@Rusty2k, the size of the front discs is actually what started me thinking about this... I was as sure as you are that I'd have 312mm on the front. But I measured this morning (without taking wheel off) and am 99% sure they are currently 288mm. Likewise I measured the rear and am 90% sure they are 255mm (less sure as harder to tell 272 Vs 255 on rear compared to front of 288 Vs 312).

That basically got me thinking the previous owner may have cheaped out when replacing them last time as @t0m_t0m says. They may have done the same with the rear.
I don't think being paranoid is correct - I just want to ensure that when I replace the pads and discs this time round, I put the right size on which seems reasonable!
Like I say, I'll just drop a Seat parts department a line this week for them to check and will then order the appropriate pads and discs.

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Anything been flagged up on previous MOTs? If a previous owner had cheaped-out as you put and fitted smaller discs then you'd have pads overhanging the discs which I would certainly expect the tester to flag up to you and let you know you appear to have the wrong size brakes fitted.

redcupra07

Nov 11, 2013
Guildford GU1
Anything been flagged up on previous MOTs? If a previous owner had cheaped-out as you put and fitted smaller discs then you'd have pads overhanging the discs which I would certainly expect the tester to flag up to you and let you know you appear to have the wrong size brakes fitted.
Nope nothing flagged on any MOT re brakes.

I get your point for 312 pads used with 288 discs but my thought was that 312 from factory could have been replaced with both 288 discs and 288 pads... Not sure how plausible that is.

I'll check again tomorrow as you're making me doubt myself being able to measure properly! Will be embarrassing if they're 312 on the front after all...

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull
Just did some more digging and it looks like petrol 2010 FR's shouldn't have 253mm rear discs (i could be wrong), their options should be 272mm or 282mm (i've never understood how they can offer different brake sizes on the same car as surely one would be considered less safe for when calculating insurance etc. but i digress). So if you have 253mm at the rear someone may have definitely cheaped out there, or used a mechanic who literally wasn't bothered. i wouldn't have thought the rear pads that would correspond to the smaller disc size would fit in the larger disc size brake carrier as they are quite different in shape and size.

10144032A.jpg

253mm pads which are 87mm long

10144177A.jpg

272mm pads which are 109mm long

10144117A.jpg

282mm pads which are 105mm long

I think you're right and you should have 272mm at the rear, and someone has saved £20 by fitting smaller TDI FR rear discs. logically 272mm discs are more expensive than 253mm discs, but oddly 272mm discs also seem to be more expensive than 282mm discs.

Confusingly i've also found conflicting information that show your front disc size may actually be 288mm correctly, so just when you think progress might have been made a curve ball has been thrown. BUT the specs for the 288mm and 312mm front pads show them of similar length, and of a shape that may allow them to be fitted into the larger size caliper even if the the pads themselves look quite different, you'd physically have to marry parts up to see if that was the case.

It might be the case that FL TSI are 288/272 and TDI are 312/253 due to the weight distribution with the diesel being more front heavy. The old brake guide thread appears to be extremely out of date and full of errors, it is from 2008 before the facelift.

Like you say SEAT themselves might be your only option to get an answer, providing they don't run into a similar issue and it shows on their computer as two options for each axle. I'd like to know the final answer to this conundrum as it is quite perplexing.

redcupra07

Nov 11, 2013
Guildford GU1
Update time.

I called Seat this morning and they checked my car by reg and confirmed that there was definitely only one size showing for front and rear on their system for my car:
Front: 312mm
Rear: 272mm

I went out to the car again just now and got my girlfriend to measure this time...
They are currently 312mm on the front and 272mm on the rear. Safe to say I am now embarrassed at my inability to measure first time round!!! I was nearly too ashamed to return here to admit it to be honest.
Anyway, apologies for the run around but thanks for the help and hopefully this might help at least one other person in the future!

t0m_t0m

Aug 9, 2020
Hull
Better to underestimate the size and have your girl tell you the size actually bigger, than it would be to boast and the actual measurement be smaller....

Reactions: redcupra07

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I don't know how you measured the discs but I favour measuring the circumference and calculating the diameter. There's always something in the way of the diameter measurement.
Luckily it's usually only the thickness that gets measured

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.