2010 Ibiza FR 2.0TDI Suspension Upgrade?

bizafr

Nov 2, 2013
Hi folks, first post on the forum. I've got a 2010 Ibiza FR 2.0TDI and I love almost every thing about the car, apart from the ride. The ride is woeful, it bangs and crashes over the faintest ripple in tarmac and god help you if you hit a pot hole. It's got to the point where I'm considering selling the car OR upgrading the suspension.

Has anybody got any experience of upgrading the suspension on a MK5 FR? If so what did you upgrade to and how much did you spend?

I want to improve the ride quality as much as possible, I'm not too bothered about handling as it's a road car after all.

I'm going to replace the tyres in a slightly wider profile too so that base is covered.

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
i looked into this too as i consider the ride poor.

However, I'm not willing to spend 5-600 on springs and dampers to fix on a car I'm probably going to sell in the next 12 months. So I'm just going to put up with it.

btw i'm no stranger to lowered/uprated cars but on some surfaces especially at speed the Ibiza is the worse handling car i've owned.

Deleted member 90668

Same situation with the exact same car, I actually increased the tyre profile and ditched the sportmaxx tyres for Kumho KU39 and it has helped but not drastically.

I thought my old EP3 Type-R was a harsh ride...

bizafr

Nov 2, 2013
Glad to know I'm not alone with this problem. Emailed Awesome GTI yesterday and they advised me to fit an ST suspension kit (springs and dampers).

Anyone have any experience of either Awesome GTI or ST suspension kits?

Cheers

ItsNumptyBoy

Jan 24, 2015
Hi guys......OK, so the first thing I must state is that I own a 2.0tdi Audi A1 Black Edition running on 35 profile 18s.....however, as it's similar under the skin I thought if share some info on my experiences.
The OEM S Line suspension is rock solid.....just as you have described.
I changed within the first two months from new to H&R -35mm springs. Stance much improved, ride remained in essence the same.
I've just ordered Bilstein B14 Coilovers direct from a German supplier at £480 delivered. Cheapest UK price I could find was £680.....my misses is a manager at Euro and even through her I couldn't get below £600....so this is a bargain.
They are on their way and should be here tomorrow....once fitted, I'll let you know if the Billies make my A1 more comfortable. I'm hoping they will bring both comfort and lows lol.

jellybabybandit

May 1, 2007
Yeah the billies

I have H&R on mine at the moment and hate the harsh ride. Hight is perfect but far too crashy

ItsNumptyBoy

Jan 24, 2015
Ah ok.......can't help on that yet, but hopefully within a fortnight I'll have the answer for you.
Personally I find the H&R ok, even on the 35 profiles.....(obviously I know the car is different).

ItsNumptyBoy

Jan 24, 2015
The Billies were waiting for me tonight when I got home........just need to tap my mechanic up now fit a fitting slot lol

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.