2011 Winter Tyres - What are you opting for?

jontbone

im with admiral and asked if they needed to know and she said theres no where to put tyre info (im still using standard alloys though just changed tyres)

Thats good news, I'm with admiral & was thinking to call them up after putting my winters on today.
The hassle I went through trying to explain my remap to them...:rolleyes:

I went for cheap Nankang SV2 winters (best I could afford), figured they've surely got to be better than premium summer tyres once it's frosty/icy.

They felt very good in the rain today, they squirmed slightly on corners, but so far am pleased. Look forward to testing them out once it's colder.

rosco07

Apr 7, 2008
Thats good news, I'm with admiral & was thinking to call them up after putting my winters on today.

I went for cheap Nankang SV2 winters (best I could afford), figured they've surely got to be better than premium summer tyres once it's frosty/icy.

They felt very good in the rain today, they squirmed slightly on corners, but so far am pleased. Look forward to testing them out once it's colder.

These received a very good write up on mk5 golf gti forum last year fitted to the front of a GTI. However, they didn't fair so well in a recent magazine tyre test against premium winter twice their price. We all know you get what you pay for but I think they are worth a punt based on the GTI review.

jontbone

These received a very good write up on mk5 golf gti forum last year fitted to the front of a GTI. However, they didn't fair so well in a recent magazine tyre test against premium winter twice their price. We all know you get what you pay for but I think they are worth a punt based on the GTI review.

Yeah I agree, I also saw the magazine tests too, the SV2's definately performed worse than premium winters, but definately better than the token set of summer tyres used to compare against.
The reviews in the link below helped sway my decision to buy them, especially the 2 reviews from MX5 drivers.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Nankang/SV2.htm

These are my first set of winters, so I thought I'd see how well they fared before spending a fortune next time round!

neil_f225

Mar 14, 2005
I've got a pair of hankook ice bear on the front. Very impressed...feels really grippy on wet roads and just tried it on snow and ice over the past couple of days and the grip is amazing. I've got summer tyres on the back and it stil feels fine unless you really try and provoke it. Can brake hard without abs cutting in on ice

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
I can't believe the level of grip on ice and snow. My abs kicks in a little but the cars stops so quickly. its a weird feeling when you have been programmed to expect sliding for all these years.

I climbed a non gritted very steep hill covered in snow. I wouldn't have ever even tried to climb it in all the years I have been driving but thought I would give it a go. The wheels didn't even spin AT ALL.

I have been in the dark all this time driving in summer tyres.

McDubber1

Jun 29, 2007
East Lothian
I'm using my Pirelli Sottozero 210's for the second year running. They performed very well last year and i have every faith in them again this year.

I don't know if this is happening all over the country but around my way alot of garages seem to only be recommending people fit two to the driving axle? In my opinion i think this is potentionally dangerous, if you fit a pair on the front it is more likely your rear wheels are going to lock up if you have to do any sort of reasonably heavy breaking. Or equally dangerous if you have to change direction quickly. I can understand some people maybe don't have the cash to fit a full set but it is potentionally very dangerous and i can't believe the so called experts are recommending this!

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Two just on the driving wheels in FWD application is hilarious in snow, but you have to be very careful. I ended up with this arrangement due to potholes earlier this year and lack of tyre supply at the time. Good fun but not recommended.

With RWD it'd be catastrophic, as you'd get going but have a massive turning fail at any corner!

jontbone

Two just on the driving wheels in FWD application is
PHP:
hilarious in snow, but you have to be very careful. I ended up with this arrangement due to potholes earlier this year and lack of tyre supply at the time. Good fun but not recommended.

With RWD it'd be catastrophic, as you'd get going but have a massive turning fail at any corner!

Sounds horrendous, i suspect you were tempted to put the summers back on! Logic says to me its all or nothing with winter tyres, im sure theres a few out there who'd disagree with me though

Last edited by a moderator:

McDubber1

Jun 29, 2007
East Lothian
Sounds horrendous, i suspect you were tempted to put the summers back on! Logic says to me its all or nothing with winter tyres, im sure theres a few out there who'd disagree with me though

I'd definately agree with that and have recommended that other people that are considering winter's to go for a full set. After all it's not just thereselves they're putting at risk, it's also other road users.

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Oh - the other positive with fitting winters is MPG improvements. Mine goes up 3-5 mpg on identical journey summer vs winter tyres. Saying that, anything gives better MPG than the Eagle F1s! Awesome summers though :d

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
Haha. I'd hope most on here don't have tree hugging tyres on in summer!

matt l

Jan 28, 2008

Iv gone for those too and my impressions so far is they are alot grippier than the bridgestones that came on the car, been very impressed with mine so far.

when i spoke to them asking for a quote with a remap the other day they seemed to be quite helpful for me.

matt l

Jan 28, 2008
well... nankang sv2's work inthe snow :lol:

had some snow today and got to say driving in it has been fine actually just been out to test pulling off on a rather steap hill and had no slip at all just sailed on up, also followed an a4 estate for a moment and he was struggling to pull off on a slight incline, so i have to say im very impressed with them so far.

was getting worried about trying to pull off in an auto in snow tbh but now im not lol.

jontbone

well... nankang sv2's work inthe snow :lol:

had some snow today and got to say driving in it has been fine actually just been out to test pulling off on a rather steap hill and had no slip at all just sailed on up, also followed an a4 estate for a moment and he was struggling to pull off on a slight incline, so i have to say im very impressed with them so far.

was getting worried about trying to pull off in an auto in snow tbh but now im not lol.

Thats good to know, we've not had any settled snow yet, but my winter Nankang SV2's (on freetrack) are easily outperforming the summer tyres on my impreza (falken FK452). The grip is very confidence inspiring, no slips at all. Becoming more & more satisfed with the purchase.

matt l

Jan 28, 2008
Thats good to know, we've not had any settled snow yet, but my winter Nankang SV2's (on freetrack) are easily outperforming the summer tyres on my impreza (falken FK452). The grip is very confidence inspiring, no slips at all. Becoming more & more satisfed with the purchase.

I was very skeptical tbh especially as the nankang summer tyres i have had before were a little to be desired, but these are great so far, obviously not going to be as good as a better make but still a dam site better than not having them.

Fishy

May 16, 2005
Driving down some country lanes this morning (around 9:45-10:00) and found the Kleber Quadraxers quite slippy. I hope that with some added milage on them they get a bit better.

Fish

Jan 1, 2006
Sheffield
My Goodyear Ultra Grip Performance 2's are incredible.

We had a dusting of snow which was un-gritted. Posed no issue what so ever (running in stock 240bhp mode).

Been out today on cold, greasy country roads and have had tonnes of grip (running 360bhp+), very little wheel spin too, which was a nice surprise.

steroidchris

Feb 14, 2011
Brierley Hill
Driving down some country lanes this morning (around 9:45-10:00) and found the Kleber Quadraxers quite slippy. I hope that with some added milage on them they get a bit better.

Fish

When I put my Hankook W310's on about 3 weeks ago, I thought they were shocking in the wet. Now I think they're really good. Haven't had the chance to try any snow out yet.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members