2020 Ateca Driver's Door Lock Mechanism Frozen

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
Does anyone else have the same issue with getting into their Ateca after a big freeze overnight?

Since I bought ours new back in July 2020, every winter when it's a particularly cold and frosty night (not often seeing as we live in Surrey!) it's usually a faff to get into the car. For some reason, the passenger door opens okay, so just a case of sliding across into the driver's seat which is what I did at 06:30 this morning.

So, I'm in the car now and after 5 mins of warming up inside I make the big mistake of seeing if the driver's door will open from inside, which it did! However, it wouldn't close again - after 10 mins holding a hand warmer against the door shut inner surface where the latch is, still no joy, door wouldn't close - this hand warmer method did work last week I hasten to add.

Of course the car won't move if doors aren't shut, so I had to give up and jump into one of our other cars, leaving the Ateca on the driveway with the door ajar and the interior and puddle light shining away.

Had to message my wife to get her to sort it out, which she did later.

So, any thoughts from others with the same issue? Would a blast of WD-40 do any good as a prevention? Because it was forecast to be so cold last night I even covered the door and window with a screen cover to stop moisture getting into the lock mechanism and freezing - it didn't work this time!

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
In Sweden we sometimes fill a plastic bag with hot water an hold it tight to the surface where you have the door lock, the area between the outer/inner door. The locks get lithium grease, the visible parts which hook to the b-pillar.

Very common problem with all car brands. SE is a cold country!

Last edited:

Loadmaster748

Roll on summer.....
Aug 2, 2019
Surrey, UK
In Sweden we sometimes fill a plastic bag with hot water an hold in tight to the surface where you have the door lock, the area between the outer/inner door. The locks get lithium grease, the visible parts which hook to the b-pillar.

Very common problem with all car brands. SE is a cold country!
I don't quite understand what component is actually freezing,. The door opened from the inside, then wouldn't latch shut when I tried to pull it closed.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
The door lock unit is placed in the red circle area.
Could also be the wire from inner door handle. That is not so easy the heat.

Attachments

• 20240119_175513.jpg
    20240119_175513.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: Tell
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.