6J Toca Head Unit Upgrade - Yay or Nay?

Teknalogique

Jan 26, 2020
Hi Guys,

First post here so please be gentle... :D

I've just bought a 2014 Ibiza Toca, which I think is great, apart from the Garmin Nav system - not because I don't like the way it works, I just don't like the separate screen sitting on the dash.

I'm looking to get an integrated system fitted, however, I know there are issues due to having to relocate the hazard and air bag switches etc. I've watched a few videos on how that's done and am sure I could manage it.

However, I have seen on a fair few websites that the Toca can' t have a new nav system fitted as apparently it causes CANBUS issues. Is that right? or just down to poor installation? I'm sure I've seen pictures with them sucessfully fitted.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for where to obtain the appropriate adapters to run the switches down to the gear stick panel? I know a company called Zenec made them but apparently don't sell them anymore. I can obtain the panel itself from a friendly SEAT dealer, as well as a blanking plate to cover the hole where the Garmin's cradle sits.

Finally, anyone that's successfully done this - is it worth the hassle?

Thanks,

A

Teknalogique

Jan 26, 2020
Sean - I didn't post an update, but I got there in the end, after much research and messing about.

I didn't go for the Zenec radio in the end, mainly because I couldn't find one. I ended up fitting a Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB Double DIN unit.
I'd recommend this as the way forward.

I did post a guide about how to relocate the wiring from the original hazard switch panel to a new panel, near the gearstick. At the time I couldn't see why anyone would spend the money on the adapter lead. While you can do this yourself, the problem you will have is that the lead comes with the fascia that's appropriate for the Toca. If you do what I did and move the pins yourself, and buy what you think is the right Double DIN fasica separately, you'll probably find that it just doesn't quite fit!

The fascia you actually need comes with this kit from Connects2: https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CT23ST23
This also includes the wiring harness to relocate the hazard and ESP switches from the original location.
There are a few different colours available with similar part numbers.(CTKST24, CTKST25). I found CTKST23 was the best match.

CT23ST23.jpg

Don't be tempted to go for the cheaper kits with the part number CTKST01, 02 etc as I can tell you from experience they DO NOT FIT in the Toca.

If you want your steering wheel controls to work, you'll also need this: https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTSST001.2
and the appropriate lead to connect that to your new head unit.

You can find these bits on eBay. They're not cheap, but ultimately it's what you need if you want to change the head unit.

You'll also need to find the Panel with the appropriate switches to relocate near your gearstick. This was the hardest bit for me - I had to buy it from the Netherlands. Again they have similar part numbers, depending on what switches are fitted to it. The part number is 6J0927137, with letters at the end which show what buttons are on it. You will have to find the one with all the buttons you need, which is a pain.

The final hurdle, which you don't often see talked about, is that you will have to cut out a not insignificant amount of plastic from behind the dash to get a Double DIN radio to fit. This doesn't cause any harm, but it's just something else that makes it a pain!

Finally, once you've got this far, you'll need A LOT of patience, a fairly decent knowledge of car wiring, and the time to actually do it.

So, having done all this
Was it cheap? Not at all.
Was it worth it? For me, yes.

lPrometheuss

Jan 7, 2022
Sean - I didn't post an update, but I got there in the end, after much research and messing about.

I didn't go for the Zenec radio in the end, mainly because I couldn't find one. I ended up fitting a Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB Double DIN unit.
I'd recommend this as the way forward.

I did post a guide about how to relocate the wiring from the original hazard switch panel to a new panel, near the gearstick. At the time I couldn't see why anyone would spend the money on the adapter lead. While you can do this yourself, the problem you will have is that the lead comes with the fascia that's appropriate for the Toca. If you do what I did and move the pins yourself, and buy what you think is the right Double DIN fasica separately, you'll probably find that it just doesn't quite fit!

The fascia you actually need comes with this kit from Connects2: https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CT23ST23
This also includes the wiring harness to relocate the hazard and ESP switches from the original location.
There are a few different colours available with similar part numbers.(CTKST24, CTKST25). I found CTKST23 was the best match.

View attachment 16071

Don't be tempted to go for the cheaper kits with the part number CTKST01, 02 etc as I can tell you from experience they DO NOT FIT in the Toca.

If you want your steering wheel controls to work, you'll also need this: https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTSST001.2
and the appropriate lead to connect that to your new head unit.

You can find these bits on eBay. They're not cheap, but ultimately it's what you need if you want to change the head unit.

You'll also need to find the Panel with the appropriate switches to relocate near your gearstick. This was the hardest bit for me - I had to buy it from the Netherlands. Again they have similar part numbers, depending on what switches are fitted to it. The part number is 6J0927137, with letters at the end which show what buttons are on it. You will have to find the one with all the buttons you need, which is a pain.

The final hurdle, which you don't often see talked about, is that you will have to cut out a not insignificant amount of plastic from behind the dash to get a Double DIN radio to fit. This doesn't cause any harm, but it's just something else that makes it a pain!

Finally, once you've got this far, you'll need A LOT of patience, a fairly decent knowledge of car wiring, and the time to actually do it.

So, having done all this
Was it cheap? Not at all.
Was it worth it? For me, yes.
I there, i got a seat ibiza FR from 2013 as well, i've already changed the radio and buttons all good but, the garmin unit dont work anymore, and it kinda need it to check the oil temp you had the same problem?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.