ACC & Camera-based assistance systems retrofit completed today.

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
Hello everyone,

As of today, I have new toys in my 2018 Leon FR to play with. Last week I have ordered the parts (radar, lower grille, steering column combi switch unit, camera & new windscreen) through a local shop which is famous around here for VAG retrofit works. On Monday they installed the camera & completed the coding. My first impressions of Lane Keeping & High Beam assistance features are quite good. The use of Traffic Sign Recognition seems limited but anyway, I like to see the depicted traffic signs on the instrument cluster. Today the radar have arrived and I visited the shop second time for installation & coding. The distance from the shop to our house is short to have a good understanding of the ACC and I need to have more time with it but the snowy weather today had me thinking about a potential problem: The ACC stops working when radar sensor covered with snow and that's OK, but it seems the standard cruise control feature goes off with it also. I find it strange if that's the way it works. The cruise control does not need any sensor to work and it should be working even if the ACC is deactived by user or due to a failure, in my opinion. Your knowledge and comments on this would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Serdar

20220310_174134.JPG

20220310_174437.JPG

20220307_183109.JPG

20220307_182817.JPG

20220310_105740_2.JPG

Reactions: Stefan147

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I was fairly sure that the radar sensor has a heat source to work in freezing conditions to prevent icing, but can’t cope with heavy snow building up on the front.

Technically, cruise shouldn’t be used in heavy rain or snow as there is a chance that the car can accelerate if grip is lost if the car aqua-planes etc, which is why the ACC switches off.

Reactions: serdar_18fr

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley
If you have adaptive cruise control, you cannot choose whether it's adaptive or not.. therefore if it de-activates due to bad weather, you have no fall back to traditional cruise control anymore. It's either adaptive or nothing.

Reactions: serdar_18fr

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
If you have adaptive cruise control, you cannot choose whether it's adaptive or not.. therefore if it de-activates due to bad weather, you have no fall back to traditional cruise control anymore. It's either adaptive or nothing.

Thanks for the information. I gathered that from my short drive to home but hoped there might still be a way to use it as classic cruise control.

serdar_18fr

May 29, 2021
What hardware is needed for lane keeping? Nice work

Thanks.

You'll need a new windscreen (the suitable one has an opening for the camera & a bracket glued inside) and the camera itself.

I saw someone managed to install the camera without replacing the windscreen, attaching the camera to the back of the rear-view mirror, but I guess a lot of hard work is involved with that.

Cheers,
Serdar

What hardware is needed for lane keeping? Nice work

Forum members get a discount with "SeatCupraMembers"

Reactions: bigbadjay
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members