Actual difference between the e-boost model and non e-boost model

Aug 3, 2022
Hi,

Other than the obvious extra horse power on paper and a few software changes... is there any difference? What I mean by this,

- is the engine exactly the same?
- is it purely software that enables the e-boost?
- does this mean if someone can modify the software its possible to add e-boost to any born?
- has anyone tried a drive booster which can do a similar thing?

Thanks
Kevin

Aug 5, 2022
30 seconds of boost to the higher 'bhp'. It's a bit like the 'Overtake' button on an F1 car.
It switches the motor into 'Cupra' mode, stiffens ride, stiffens steering and throttle is very responsive.
Great fun.

Aug 3, 2022
I guess my point is that.. if this is only software (apart from the button on wheel), it could potentially be added by modifying the software? Third party most likely.

Aug 5, 2022
It's all essentially software driven meaning they lend themselves to being hacked/modded/tweaked how people will see fit (at the expense of shorter battery life). Just be a case of re-mapping how the power is allocated I imagine but would invalidate insurance.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Usually on a new car it takes time to crack the ECU and produce a remap.

This can usually be measured in years. So any software to do this [if even possible] is a couple of years down the road.

When the new 1.5 TSI came on the market it took around 24 months for a remap to become available

Aug 3, 2022
There is already a drive booster I've seen a few sites that's meant to increase throttle response at lower speeds. They reckon a 10% increase in acceleration. Plug and play basically. Wonder if that does a similar thing.

monkeyhanger

May 7, 2018
Unless you specced DCC, there is definitely no stiffening of the suspension - that cannot happen without active dampers, and active dampers are not standard UK spec.

Me and the missus each have a V2 E-Boost. When you put it in Cupra mode, you get the heavier steering, a sharper steering response and "B" mode type regen when you lift off the accelerator, even if you're in D mode, which I find highly annoying - leave me with the choice to put it in B mode if I want.

Having the car in Cupra mode, with that enforced regen when you lift off makes it harder to drive smoothly, because the car's always looking to slow down when you're not pressing on - feels like driving with the handbrake on. If there's one thing I would want a software tweak on, it would be to remove the "B" mode effect on Cupra, if you have "D" selected.

People have looked at part numbers between the motors on the ID3 on the VAG parts system (EKTA?) and seen a difference between the 150ps and 204ps units that suggests that they are physically different, rather than software being the only differentiator. I don't think anyone's done the same for the E-Boost unit to compare.

The difference between our old 204ps ID3 and Born e-Boost isn't startling, as you might expect, with only 27ps extra - the difference is like taking a Golf GTI sitting at 60mph and seeing the acceleration difference between putting your foot down in 4th and 5th. Noticeable, but won't knock your socks off.

I'm surprised that visually, the only differentiator for E-Boost is the satellite buttons on the steering wheel.

Given the expectation for these cars to remain connected for regular updates, getting your output increased on the sly may well end up being very visible to VAG, putting your warranty at risk.

Aug 3, 2022
Thanks for the in-depth reply. I am going to ask the dealership a similar question and ask if it would be an optional extra that you could potentially get after you buy the car to get the slightly different software.

Maybe it won't provide all the extra benefits from getting the eboost model from scratch member still a benefit from getting the eboost at purchase time, but would be interesting is they could offer a software upgrade, can't see it being a big deal to offer. Would be an extra way of them making a bit more money too without it affecting warranty.

Depends what it can and can't achieve I guess.

monkeyhanger

May 7, 2018
Thanks for the in-depth reply. I am going to ask the dealership a similar question and ask if it would be an optional extra that you could potentially get after you buy the car to get the slightly different software.

Maybe it won't provide all the extra benefits from getting the eboost model from scratch member still a benefit from getting the eboost at purchase time, but would be interesting is they could offer a software upgrade, can't see it being a big deal to offer. Would be an extra way of them making a bit more money too without it affecting warranty.

Depends what it can and can't achieve I guess.
If there were no hardware differences between the motors used for 204ps and 231ps, it's always a possibility that an official upgrade with no warranty implications could be a chargeable aftermarket upgrade. If that were the case, you'd just need the steering wheel hardware upgrade for the satellite buttons. They do look like they bolt on in lieu of a blanking plate on the non-E-Boost steering wheel, rather than needing a complete steering wheel replacement.

If all that could be done through official channels, the only other complication would be how the insurance companies handle the upgrade. Eventually, there may be unoffcial power increases, but OBD11/VCDS are able to access some modules for changes, and not others (I have made some of these changes, like being able to get the car to remember that I switched off lane assist, so it doesn't come back every ignition cycle.)

Sep 2, 2022
If there were no hardware differences between the motors used for 204ps and 231ps, it's always a possibility that an official upgrade with no warranty implications could be a chargeable aftermarket upgrade. If that were the case, you'd just need the steering wheel hardware upgrade for the satellite buttons. They do look like they bolt on in lieu of a blanking plate on the non-E-Boost steering wheel, rather than needing a complete steering wheel replacement.

If all that could be done through official channels, the only other complication would be how the insurance companies handle the upgrade. Eventually, there may be unoffcial power increases, but OBD11/VCDS are able to access some modules for changes, and not others (I have made some of these changes, like being able to get the car to remember that I switched off lane assist, so it doesn't come back every ignition cycle.)
i have read from other forums that there are some minor differences on the Motor ratio setup, not sure it is correct and to be honest i do doubt it, However my dealer confirmed according to the info he had that the front disk brakes on the eboost model is larger than the one on the 204bhp model.

monkeyhanger

May 7, 2018
I had heard mentioned that for the ID3, there were 2 disc sizes, but the differences were marginal, like one being 7mm larger diameter than the other, and seemingly no logic as to which were fitted (although it would seem that it would be logical to give the larger discs to the heavier 77kWh variants, if the 2 variants aren't fitted due purely to parts availability).

If the E-Boost does get bigger discs, again the differences are marginal, because the discs on our 2 Born E-Boost look no bigger than the discs we had on our 2 x ID3s.

As far as I'm aware, the only visual indicator to E-Boost is the additional satellite buttons on the steering wheel. Cupra could've done more to differentiate - maybe different coloured wing mirro caps or painted calipers, or making the copper tint alloys standard equipment on the E-Boost only rather than being optional. Not bothered either way - the power increase isn't huge so as to end up with a wolf in sheep's clothing, more like a deer in sheep's clothing!

Sep 2, 2022
yes agree the extra power is not that big of a deal however In my Market with an additional E2K you can get as a package E-boost + Dynamica seats (adding a rear Arm rest as well) + Beats Audio + 19 Inch Typhoon wheels + Rear privacy glass.
I went for that package. it was a no brainer for me.

Reactions: monkeyhanger

monkeyhanger

May 7, 2018
yes agree the extra power is not that big of a deal however In my Market with an additional E2K you can get as a package E-boost + Dynamica seats (adding a rear Arm rest as well) + Beats Audio + 19 Inch Typhoon wheels + Rear privacy glass.
I went for that package. it was a no brainer for me.

Sometimes I forget that the different markets have different trim levels and only talk about the UK trims.

In the UK:-

V1 trim has the 18" alloys and unheated seaqual seats, and only 204ps / 58kWh powertrain/battery
V2 has the 19" Typhoon wheels, heated seaqual seats and more equipment, with a choice of 204/231ps and a choice of 58/77kWh batteries, and the rear tinted windows
V3 additionally has the fully electric Dynamica cloth covered seats, the 20" wheels, and not a lot else for your extra £2k. Same output/battery options as V2.

In the UK, for me, V2 is the sweet spot, not keen on the 20" wheels. Slightly nicer cloth and electric adjustment/massage come at too high a price IMO.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.