Advise to a Seat owner

Baldie

Hi Guys

Just brought a 2000 1.4 Ibiza 8v engine model AKK

okay it maybe not up there with the rest but i love driving it, suits me
and its prob the best car i have owned for cornering.

With me i am very fussy over cleanliness and general maintenance,
so over the past week i have been cleaning seats, interior and now its starting to look inside the way i want it to be, nice and clean.

Done the usual. replaced, leads, spark plugs, air filter, and changed oil.
Any tips on how to get the best out of my engine?

But my question is, why is the clutch so stiff. also i have a funny suspicion that my clutch is on the way out, any tips on how to tell.
Also when changing down a gear, the car will jerk just once or twice sometimes, please don't say flywheel.

btw, i am not far from Bournemouth, if any experts out there

Cheers

Iain

LewisLeon

Nov 18, 2008
Bristol, UK
I'm guessing theres not a massive amount of stuff you can do to those engines other than what you've already done, I guess maybe an induction kit/de-cat might free up a couple of horses but unless it's the sound you're after, it's probably not worth the money. Decent regular services should keep it at it's best.

As for the stiff clutch, what were you driving before? It might just be that the Ibizas have a heavier clutch than what you're used to, definately felt that way to me a little bit coming from a Focus...I'm not sure if it's a hydraulic system or cable linkage on the clutch to be honest, sorry mate. A good way to tell if it's on its way out is to boot the ass out of it going up a hill, if it 'slips' then it's likely it's on its way out. Keep an eye out for any juddering when you're pulling off or maybe grinding when changing gear.

Are there any knocks when you're changing down, or just a bit of a jerk? Engine mounts tend to go a bit soft eventually, but as long as nothing's knocking/banging etc then it's probably nothing to worry about.

Sorry I can't be a bit more exact! :p

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2007
bristol
my old 1.4 a mate got off me just had a new clutch plate and cable and its super light now. i also have a stiff clutch does my head in.

NowGottaIbizaMk5

Feb 5, 2005
Beverley
our 1.4 is a V reg and had it since it was 5 years old. ALWAYS had a very stiff clutch pedal - gives you great leg muscles BUT only on your left leg tho :funk:

You can't do much to the engine BUT it is worth going to tyre places like blackcircles and getting new tyres. I have Toyo TR1 - any good tyre will make your car safer than one with tyres that are cheapies and well worn.... what's the state of your tyres Iain?

Last edited:

Baldie

Hi Guys, i hope this works, i will try and answer all questions at one

@Lewis Leon, thanks for the tips, will give them a go, with regards to the jerk, there is no knocking or jerking, so all might be good.
I have had many cars and driven a few as well, but never come across as stiff as this, but am getting use to now.

@Eke Ibiza, I went round the folks house and oinked carpet cleaner called Carpet Power, its a foam spray. the seats were in a right state, now they are looking clean as clean can be, apart from my seat, till i get a few days off work then i will do.
All i had was a bucket of hot water, and a cloth, i wetted the cloth (not damp), then sprayed the foam onto the cloth, then wiped the seats with the foam on the cloth, you will need to get the seats wet/damp, depending on the state of your seats.
But allow at least a full day for the seats to dry.

@fourtwofive, thanks for that advise.

@gottaibizamk3, i have 3 semi decent, but one on the rear is going to have to be changed soon.

thanks guys, and keep in touch.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.