Altea 1.6 tdi ecomotive mpg - driving me mad!

ggfergy

Dec 28, 2013
Hi all

Long time lurker. I've had a 1.9tdi 2005 Toledo for the last 7 years and even hammering it up the m69 at an indecent speed I've never got worse than 40mpg out of it. On a good run junction 21 to 31 on the M1 Ive veen able to get 50+ even at 75mph. Its done me 235k miles on the original clutch and I've only ever needed to replace 2 front springs in 7 years

However just traded the Toledo for a 1.6 tdi e ecomotive altea xl on the basis of the excellent Toledo.

Love the Altea Xl. Hate the mpg.

I'm getting between 10 to 12 mpg less than the Toledo. It's shocking. :cry:

I've seen lots of threads on the Altea mpg but it seems that theres lots of discussion but no cure. My Altea xl is on 57k miles so should be run in by now so doubt it will loosen up. If I'd not had the Toledo before I'd ssshme it was my style or the car, but the ecomotive is supposed to be more economical not less !

Has anyone had any joy with anything thats actually helped the situation? All thoughts really appreciated !

Last edited:

Ady1970

Sep 17, 2014
Portsmouth
Hi.
I have the normal altea with that engine. And the economy in mine is variable to say the least. I have found that turning off the air conditioning helps a lot and trying to keep between 1300 and 1600 rpm. Or basically "driving miss daisy". With this I can get mid 50's on my run to work. Or mid 40's if a drive like a normal person and have air con on. Also on a holiday from Portsmouth to the south of Wales managed 49.5mpg over a tank and half of fuel with 4 people and luggage. Guy I work with has a chipped 2.0 Jetta and regularily gets 57-59mpg, go figure!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.