Altea stylance with sport pack and DSG

Tell

Staff member
The launch control "feature" is what they have on racing cars which have automatic transmission [I think], but you could do it in manual, so your close Loadswine ;).... it is:

1. turn ESP off [not recommended]

2. select sport mode

3. put your foot on the break, must be left foot

4. floor the accelerator

5. take your foot off the break and let the DSG gears take forwards

Since I respect my tyres too much. engine and DSG transmission, I have never done it.

Try this for a Google on the subject:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...q=launch+control+dsg&meta=&btnG=Google+Search

This site has the para:

http://www.motorbar.co.uk/ttv6roadster.htm

Another tricksy 'toy' you get is 'launch control'. Switch off the ESP, select Sport mode, press and hold the brake pedal and crank the engine up to around 3,200rpm. Slip your left foot off the brake (there's no clutch pedal), power dumps to all four wheels and the V6 TT will rocket off the line to post a full-bore 0-62mph getaway, the gutsy V6 snarling all the way to the red-line. The perfect standing start. Time after time after time.

That's for an Audi TT 3.2 mind you :).

Bit more here:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/rr/04audi_tt_dsg.htm

Para:

Tied to the more powerful 250-horsepower 3.2, DSG transforms the TT. This is what this car needed all along - performance to match its look. The smooth VR6 has power aplenty at all places on the rev band. Most appreciated is the instant response. Want a really quick launch? Step on both gas and brake and the DSG allows engine revs to rise to just over 3,000 and when the brake is released engages the clutch. Audi calls it Launch Control, but pays no royalties to NASA. There is also a Sports mode which holds gears longer - for many minutes judging by my run through the lovely twisty roads in the hill country here.

That's a petrol engine heaven forbid so one suspects that for the 2.0 TDI you'd take to the safe area of the revs ?, but anyway don't kill yourself or blow up the car.

Tell

Staff member
or it's a hire car ;).... taken some of those on 4 wheel drive roads in South America and South East Asia and hit a few rocks underneith. Had to get some Bolivians to rescue us just as the sun was getting low when we looking for Inca ruins well off the beaten track and that was a 4 x 4, but the front wheel colapsed into a covered drainage channel, got dug out and crossed this Indian palm with silver.

I try not to do anything which is accident prone and foolhardy but it's never stopped me. But I wouldn't do "launch control" in my own car. I reckon I first saw some people doing this in a Toureg in Germany out in a country park since this van type thing was whizzing around at a great deal of knots from a standing start with niffty gear changes. I did notice the quick changes, and that is before I had heard of DSG.... not totally I was waiting for my Altea to arrive, I'd got it on order, one had a look at them in a show room in Berlin where all the VWs, Bentleys, Seats and all products by the said group are proudly on show. By a railway station in the East, Friedrichstraße, walk down if you ever in Berlin.... it's worth popping in, if you are into all things VW / Audi. Think it's in the direction of Check Point Charlie from the station.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise