Any one tried chipex yet?

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
So my missus got me this chipex repair kit for my birthday. I just been trying it out and I must just be useless at doing stuff like this but I am not too impressed tbh. Clean the area, apply the paint and wipe away excess. Allow to dry for between 40 seconds and 5 minutes, no problem. Clean away excess paint with solution from bottle number 2, oh crap, it cleans away ALL the paint I just applied!!!!! So basically, in the video it shows that it looks like there was never a chip there but on mine it looks like a chip that's been repaired. Am I doing something wrong and if any one else has tried this and had better results please ket me know.

*EDIT* just been reading their thread under the detailing section. me thinks me was being a little "heavy handed" with the blending mix. Will try again tomorrow hahahahahahahhahaha. It is a nice kit though so I am really hoping I can master this. Bumper looks like crap!

Last edited:

G3K

3 points and counting...
Aug 14, 2010
Hatfield, Herts
you can get the same results with a bit of touch up paint and t cut after. As if the chip was never there

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
let us know how you get in. looks like the car in front has done a massive wheelspin in gravel on the front of my car !! paint comin off everwhere !! :censored:

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
I never really mastered the art of the blending solution either, and then I must have left the lid uncrewed over the winter, because I got out the kit last weekend and there was no solution left :(

It is a good kit, and the colour match is perfect, just takes a while to perfect the art. I must find out if you can buy the blending solution separetly.

Apr 9, 2009
Clayed the car today and wish i hadn't as i realized how many stone chips there are :'( may have to look into this stuff

jamesx

Feb 17, 2011
Cornwall
My 3 week old car has a small dent and chipped down to bare metal on the bonnet...something hit me on the motorway. Gutted.

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
I remember that feeling! 3 or 4 weeks in an got a bumper scuff from reverse parking (low bollard.) Gutted!!

Then got a big dent in bonnet from a Pheasant flying into me at 55/60 mph. Well pissed off. Loads and loads of stone chips on the front too. Oh and another Pheasant walked out in front of me and cracked my offside plastic trim by the fog light, again about 60 MPH. These blasted birds have a death wish!

I had all my stuff looked at and dealt with by my local Chips Away. Very impressed!

Spurt

Seat Bocanegra
Apr 23, 2010
Slough
I clayed mine last week, very very impressed with my front, counted 3 small chips and that's it well happy I thought it was wrecked must be the red, touched up and barely visible. Done 6000k now and mainly use backroads. Interested in this chip repair !

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I picked up 99% of these chips from 1 night at Lakeside! Them roads aint good for following someone hehehehehe

Spurt

Seat Bocanegra
Apr 23, 2010
Slough
Yea I was having a go with an Elise on motorway other week and under braking he kicked up about 200 stones, atleast it sounded like, I expected to get to brands hatch with a wrecked black mouth. But not a mark. So far so good I did notice a minor chip on screen tho.

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
I just realised today that the bumper is actually completely black on the bocs and they then paint the red or white on. that's why we see the black chips underneath!!!! Should have got a black cupra I tell you hahahahahahhahaa

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
Don't mention screen chips! Bloody cop car sped past me kicking up stones and chipped my screen. Thankfully no cost to have it repaired. Flash a blue light and they think they own the roads! lol

Spurt

Seat Bocanegra
Apr 23, 2010
Slough
I worked on a White boc the other day, man it took a hammering from stones! The whole front bumper was nearly black!

bigman75

Jul 21, 2009
Wolverhampton
Anyway, back to the topic.

This chip-ex stuff sounds like the same stuff/technique that Chips Away use. My bonnet repair and about half dozen chips (worst ones) sorted cost me £60.

Good luck with it again. Hopefully the weather will be good again.

whmcal

:( Unfortunately, i've had little success with Chipex - even on small chips. Tried to remove scratch on boot for the last 3 weeks. Laboured with it for hours, but still, really bad results - my experience is in stark contrast to the simplistic repair picture the advert paints. For £50, not impressed. Gonna have to revert the old paint pen.