Anybody retrofitted a second aux radiator

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
I am looking to retrofit the second Auxiliary Radiator on the drivers side.

I have already upgraded the DSG Rad on the Passenger side but noticed that on Golf R and the Audi they have two Radiators.

My Cupra only has one.

Spoken to Garage and looks like it can be done but they have never done it before and just wondered if anybody on here had experience of doing this.

Thanks in advance.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I'm 99.9% sure that the Cupra R (310 manual hatch) has an extra radiator based on @paddy6789 when he was stage 3ing and adding an oil cooler.

Maybe worth seeing if you can get the parts/details of that to reverse engineer what's needed?

Also don't the 4drives also have a radiator for the DSG and the engine? I'm not as sure on this, but I thought mine had auxiliary radiators on both sides.

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
I'm 99.9% sure that the Cupra R (310 manual hatch) has an extra radiator based on @paddy6789 when he was stage 3ing and adding an oil cooler.

Maybe worth seeing if you can get the parts/details of that to reverse engineer what's needed?

Also don't the 4drives also have a radiator for the DSG and the engine? I'm not as sure on this, but I thought mine had auxiliary radiators on both sides.
Thanks

Cupra 280 comes with a single aux radiator on Passenger side (which I have already upgraded the RAD on) that works on cooling the DSG.

It can be done and getting a list of the parts as we speak just wanting to see if anybody had done it before and any issues they came across, so far I have not seen anybody who has done it (and I know it can be done).

Update: spoken to my garage and its going in for this work to be done, once I get the list of parts I will share them in this thread so at least others will have a list of parts they need. Personally I am going to fit the Airtec Motorsport Uprated Auxiliary Radiator as this increase the size, capacity and ability of the original auxiliary radiators.

Last edited:

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Just to update this thread.

I had already upgraded the DSG Aux Radiator with CSF Quadruple Pass DSG Cooler and I was able to confirm during a pre and post track session that it made a positive difference to the DSG Temps.

CSF1.png
CSF2.png

today my new engine aux radiator from Airtec Motorsport Uprated Auxiliary Radiator For MQB Platform - ATINTVAG42 arrived just waiting for pipework so it can be fitted

IMG_20230926_224002.jpg
IMG_20230926_223950.jpg

will update with pipework serial numbers when i get them

Last edited:

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Finally got all the part's in and fitted for both the Aux rad (parts list in attached picture) and new oil cooler rad.
WhatsApp Image 2023-11-23 at 17.15.47.jpeg

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
I would also add that the garage confirmed that the fitting instructions did not work on the Cupra 280 due to the light washers being in the way. The oil cables are long enough to change location with no issues.

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
To revive this thread, what are the benefits of upgrading the rads, and adding more rads?

tracktoy

Jun 11, 2023
Power = Heat, so the more power you push out of the engine the hotter the engine bay and engine gets. An added benefit of this mod is that you get more air flow to the front brakes and again on the Track this does keep temps lower.

From an OEM Perspective the Cupra R had them (I have been told) and so did the Golf R) and they were not pushing that much more power than the equivalent Cupra. I never felt the need on stage one but since I have upgraded further and doing a lot more track work I am doing everything I can to keep engine bay temps down.

I would also add the DSG Radiator (on the right hand side of the car) is not the best design so I replaced that with a better one and have seen the differences on the Track as its not uncommon to see Golf boys pulled over with warning message saying DSG is getting to hot.

Reactions: H Rafiq
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.