• Start date

Deleted member 98136

Hi there,
Refer to attached pic
No 1. Rain Sensor
No 3. Mirror auto dimming sensor
No 2. ????

Anyone know what No 2 is for ?

NOTE: I don't have Lane Assist or Road Sign recognition, but would Seat fit this type of mirror housing with this aperature (No 2) if the vehicle was not so equipped ? :help:

Thank You.
Ateca Rear View Mirror.jpg

Tell

Staff member
Lane Assist camera which doubles up as the road sign recognition camera appears in a V configuration which isn't what you have.

The camera appears on these images... turned upside down V. Basically an aperture slot with the camera lens at the back.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+...s7N7oAhUGWsAKHdhGBToQ_AUIBigB&biw=768&bih=896

The daylight sensing device to safety drop your screen to make you put your lights on was in the non digital dash as a light sensor you could see. I'm wondering whether they might have moved it here (your 2) with a digital dash. The old test is to point a bright torch at the sensor when you have the lights off and it's blacked out the screen - try that.

Deleted member 98136

Hi Tell,
Thanks for your very informative reply, I have the light sensor in my dash (not digital) having read thro the handbook, the section describing the lane assist clearly shows an image of the V shaped in relation to lane assist feature, several pages later in the section talking about road sign recognition, there is nothing in particular linking this particular feature to the same camera, so I didn't realise it uses the same camera until you've now pointed it out :redface:.

Unfortuneatly as things are at the moment, I can't pop in to the my dealers (very helpful) to enquire what it may be for.

Appreciate your explaination mate
Stephen

Tell

Staff member
The lane assist camera in Seat terms call it "Monovideocamara" which also does high beam as well as lane assist and TSR. Those were in the assorted driving assist packs and launch but chopped, changed etc now.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...FjAAegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw00NqQ2HAkyJG-yyIgpFjmp

Your (2) is on mine as well and on an Arona.

Automatic lights. Cover it up with a black bag or something, the switch set to auto in daylight and see whether they come on :). Assuming you got them. They probably would use the mirror fitting if not.

It's the glued on lane assist camera I've been more preoccupied with which needs careful set up if the windscreen is ever replaced.

Deleted member 98136

Tell thanks for your further thoughts, yes I do have auto lights, so will try as you suggest and report back.

Just a thought : In the boot area, as you well know, the label that IDs all your particular vehicles build specs, do you think that it only lists items that are activated, You don't think they'd list items that could be activated do you,
Never found a list that i can access in respect of the ID specs.
Thanks again mate.

Tell

Staff member
Possibly a bit hit and miss. The Erwin site for £7 an hour you can download your build codes, technical manuals. I'd say the turning on stuff needs people in the know and VCDS coding others is factory controlled. The Obdeleven / VCDS is known across VAG brands.

I don't dig around too much in my boot :).

Deleted member 98136

Tell, (Tested with engine running).

1. Well I covered over the "sensor" No 2 with black insulating tape - with the light switch in the Auto position no lights came on ! , obviously the DRLs were on.
2. I then used a lightweight jacket to completey fill in and block out any light reaching the instrument dial area - again no lights except DRLs.
( with No 2 "sensor" still taped over).

I am sure that the auto lights fuction is trigged from the dash instrument area, as previously confirmed on another thread here, on the Leon forum, so am now a bit confused.

Tell

Staff member
I did a similar test when returning from the allowed daily walk... agreed it isn't that.

May be the dash sensor doubles up for the lights on sensor.... so its not that.

I did have an idea that it was the rain sensor and yes it is. Those are the infrared sender beams and the slot looks up at what it reflects on. Probably if it's like the infotainment screen you'd see them in a digital picture. Often I get the hand sensor beams on photos.

Here we go:

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/comfort/auto-rain-sensors

The sensor system consists of a number of infrared light-emitting diodes (LEDs) and a central photodiode. The light emitted by the LEDs is reflected by the windscreen onto the photo sensor. The more drops of water there are on the windscreen, the less light the sensor receives. This information is passed to an electronic control unit, which adapts the wipe intervals of the windscreen wiper accordingly.

If you take a picture of the front of the car I reckon you will see them, but that's what they are... I reckon although the text says less and more. I would have thought it was seeing more reflection from the outside on the beam. If you dont read it like that then the photocell beam and sensor must been contained in sealed windscreen slot. Reckon that is just the camera that is looking up at illuminated spots.... as we all head outside with digital cameras :) (photo didn't see anything doesn't mean it's not there tho). Let you do that. Always try the watering can trick with the hand over that area.

A wiki provides the physics of how it works under 'physics of rain sensor'. The refractive index changes when water is on the outside of the glass.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_sensor

We know that, but whether that is the illuminating beam that is used... feels a bit not quite right looking at it and it's all contained within the glass sensor area or whether that is some adjunct to the system we are looking at the degree of rain rather than presence of rain. I'm not sure the average dealer would know. Probably not totally answered the question but we have the physics of how the rain sensor works :).

Last edited:

Deleted member 98136

Thanks for that, as always, you're a fountain of knowledge mate, it will be interesting to hear what my dealer has to say about the No 2 "sensor" , when I take it for a service later in the year.
Thanks again
Stephen

Deleted member 98136

Interesting find following on from your above post and mention of Valeo G397, I put this in Google Search and it listed the VW Golf page :-

http://www.vwgolf.org/assembly_over...mera_for_driver_assist_systems_r242_-810.html

Had a bit of a trawl thro' a few pages, and you can tell the similarities between our Seat and VW parts.

Covers a lot of the car, so it might be usefull for some problem in the future where our parts are the same ?
Plenty to read and keep us busy in these troubled times !

Reactions: Tell
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise