Autocar Review on the new FR

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
Very interesting review - Interior looks much better.

What I don't get though is why the new GTI and this FR aren't getting the 2.0T from the A4 which while having the same BHP as those two, has 250ft lbs or torque like a TDI (and low tax due to the c02). Seems odd that VAG are now not only making the same engines with different outputs (which you can understand for model differentiation), but now the same engine with the same outputs but different torque levels!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Thats quite an impressive positive review tbh. They must love the updated feel of the car - tbh makes me think what is the point of buying the GTI if the leon fr has all the same technology and improvements. Have to see the new interior to make a decision on quality as it hasnt really been mentioned here.

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
I've just compared like for like photo's of mine and I have to say the front end is not as nice as the old model. I think they've tampered with something that didn't need to be changed. It now has an upturned bottom lip and looks like some other cars whereas it was much more unique beforehand.

They've also lifted bits from the Ibiza...stereo and vent control panel, not to mention mirror casings.

Now if they'd gone just a bit more Golf with the dash.....

Mogster

Apr 2, 2008
Nice to see such a positive review and that SEAT have done something about the harsh low speed ride (it would seem)

I'm not sure that the orange shows the car in the best light, I'd need to see one in person to make a final decision about the front end.

noktoto

Mar 10, 2008
Poland
"The chassis in the Leon FR has also been tweaked and now has 20 per cent softer springs, a 15 per cent softer front anti-roll bar and a 7mm lower ride height."

I wonder if these can be easily retrofitted.

Last edited:

flashp

Jul 1, 2008
I started a thread on fitting Koni FSD's...in a word 'brilliant' in my opinion. If I thought I had wasted my money I'd say so. Interestingly they are an option from Seat dealers in the Netherlands. Why not here I ask myself??

They will correct an awful lot of the issues with these cars.

It sounds like they softened it up then lowered it to compensate.

mister.c.

mister.c.
Jul 5, 2004
Very interesting review - Interior looks much better.

What I don't get though is why the new GTI and this FR aren't getting the 2.0T from the A4 which while having the same BHP as those two, has 250ft lbs or torque like a TDI (and low tax due to the c02)

I don't think that engine will fit into the smaller cars - hence it is not in the A3, Golf or Roc. Despite being completely ignorant on knowing anything about engines when I got my facelift A3 I hunted around to find an answer to the same question. If I recall i found that the engines themselves are actually mounted in the engine bay differently.

Could have been chinese tbh as I know squat about vehicle engines!

mister.c.

mister.c.
Jul 5, 2004
I think to most people outside of the seat / leon community there really won't notice from the exterior there has been a difference.

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
I don't think that engine will fit into the smaller cars - hence it is not in the A3, Golf or Roc. Despite being completely ignorant on knowing anything about engines when I got my facelift A3 I hunted around to find an answer to the same question. If I recall i found that the engines themselves are actually mounted in the engine bay differently.

Could have been chinese tbh as I know squat about vehicle engines!

Well I guess there must be a reason, and that sounds like a good enough one to me!

Shame though, as the A4 with the engine does 0-60 in 6.7 (albeit with 4x4) so it would probably make the FR even better to drive than it is. It's the prefect combination really, power and revs coupled with TDI torque!

InfernalBadger

Sep 6, 2006
Berkshire
Are you sure somebody hasn't just got the figures mixed up for the A4? Seems a bit of a coincidence that the torque figure is identical to the diesel. Would have to have a big torque spike at low revs that drops off to about the same as the others higher up or it would be more than 208bhp surely?

brendanb1801

Leon... Gone
Aug 20, 2007
it looks....hmmm.... strange i suppose. The front bumper is horrible, I think it maybe something to do with the big surround around the 'S' badge at the front and the way the front bumper just kind of slopes to the floor. Just doesnt look aggressive enough. however i love it from the wingmirrors back!

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
been said a few times already, the front bumper is wrong, how they can think that looks better than current (previous?) bumper god only knows :think:

BanziBarn

FR TDI & Type-R
Jun 5, 2003
Greater London
Visit site
Are you sure somebody hasn't just got the figures mixed up for the A4? Seems a bit of a coincidence that the torque figure is identical to the diesel. Would have to have a big torque spike at low revs that drops off to about the same as the others higher up or it would be more than 208bhp surely?

Does seem odd I know, but the figures are...

211bhp @ 5300 rpm
258 ft/lbs @ 1500 rpm

http://autos.aol.com/cars-Audi-A4-2009-2.0T_Premium__4dr_Front_wheel_Drive_FrontTrak_Sedan/specs

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.